Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring

Old 12-25-2017, 02:59 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

The driver in the GT3 is sleeping or tires problems??
Old 12-25-2017, 03:11 PM
rickman_fr
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
of course but I guess this engine is on published performance data voluntarly marketing watered down

to avoid irritating .1RS
or to leave space for .2RS?

maybe both if we think in .2GT3 4.0 solid lifters alone save 9HP

I hate ring time but all with "500"HP
.7RS4.0 was 7.27 whilst .2GT3 4.0 7.13
.1RS if I remember correctly 7.20

ah okay for the latter that day was a rainy day!

Merry Christmas to all
The old results on the nordschleife means nothing now because nordschleife is not the same anymore and, the most, the tires have made so enormous progress.

991 RS Manthey Racing does it 7:09.
I don't see the 991.2 GT3 result on video.

you're right that Porsche marketing intervenes to regulate the real performance of cars because the important thing is to sell the next ... knowing that the performance space becomes increasingly narrow especially with atmospheric engines.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:42 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
I guess this engine is on published performance data voluntarly marketing watered down
I’ve said before that by my calcs they could be pushing 525+ out of the 4.0 given the changes they have made since the first 4.0 was introduced. Compared to the 997 you’ve got direct injection, a higher compression ratio, higher rpm, finger actuated valves (allows for more aggressive cam ramp rates) and a slew of improvents that reduce parasitic friction including variable rate oil pumping (for lower pumping losses in oil circulation), lower pressure valve springs, low friction cylinder bore coatings, etc. In my mind there are two potential reasons the engine doesn’t make more than 500 hp, either a) they are leaving something on the table for durability (unlikely given the 9k redline imho), or b) they don’t want to make any more power. I feel b) is more likely, probably because they are leaving room for a future model.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:00 AM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

why does the RS start in left lane - but when they switch camera angles he finishes in right lane?
Old 12-26-2017, 04:15 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

I’ve said before that by my calcs they could be pushing 525+ out of the 4.0 given the changes they have made since the first 4.0 was introduced. Compared to the 997 you’ve got direct injection, a higher compression ratio, higher rpm, finger actuated valves (allows for more aggressive cam ramp rates) and a slew of improvents that reduce parasitic friction including variable rate oil pumping (for lower pumping losses in oil circulation), lower pressure valve springs, low friction cylinder bore coatings, etc. In my mind there are two potential reasons the engine doesn’t make more than 500 hp, either a) they are leaving something on the table for durability (unlikely given the 9k redline imho), or b) they don’t want to make any more power. I feel b) is more likely, probably because they are leaving room for a future model.
500 is very high sensitive marketing barrier

but I am sure at the rear wheels the dyno will show the real difference
Old 12-26-2017, 09:28 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peak power of the 991.2 GT3 has obviously been capped, the way the curve flatlines from 8,000 - 8,550 rpm, for the marketing reasons already noted. However while marketing strategies and performance stats are interesting and the acceleration/revs/speed chart posted by Petevb is enlightening - thank you all for posting them - let's not take the minute performance differences between all the 4 litre variants too seriously. Unless we're competing in races with more than one variant in the same class, surely anything with around 500 hp and a Nordschleife lap time under 7:30 is enough!

Of more interest to any of us not lucky enough to have driven any or all of them is to hear about the differences in the driving experience. Can we have more of that please?
Old 12-26-2017, 11:51 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

I will oblige with more commentary when I can type from somewhere besides my iPhone.

FXZ- my point is that all of them are in the same motor performance class. It's not like we are talking 450 vs 550 hp. Yes they have various torque curves, various durability mods etc. one of the engines was designed for the 997 RSR 10 years ago and one is a lot more recent.

The 9a1 engines are very different from the 997 RS.

The biggest takeaway I want everyone to understand is that the torque from the new GTS engine (405ft-lbs) is no joke and there is definitely a reason why the claimed 'ring times are so good on that car.

If you put tires on the GTS, and it has the same
rear steering and pccb setup of the 2015 GT3, I can easily see it being faster in multiple track configs- the 15% torque advantage and the similarity in weight and 4% HP disadvantage will swing towards the 2018 GTS for every driver.

Rear steering definitely mitigates the need for high speed downforce but high speed downforce WITH rear steering is obviously the deal breaker.

Which is why my personal take on ALL of these things is that the new RS is going to be so amazing on the track that people will lose their minds.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:02 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fxz
500 is very high sensitive marketing barrier

but I am sure at the rear wheels the dyno will show the real difference
The comparisons I did above we using actual dyno numbers. Raw data (all from Sport Auto’s Supertest dynos):
Old 12-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Which is why my personal take on ALL of these things is that the new RS is going to be so amazing on the track that people will lose their minds.
U mean new 2rs, I assume? Turbo torque plus aero and rws?
Old 12-26-2017, 01:07 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

The comparisons I did above we using actual dyno numbers. Raw data (all from Sport Auto’s Supertest dynos):
That green line is impressive given Porsche will have put out 3 GT products since it, 8yrs ago.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
That green line is impressive given Porsche will have put out 3 GT products since it, 8yrs ago.
Yep. That’s what it looks like when they go all out. The fact that the others can’t exceed it despite direct injection, higher compression, higher rpm, lower friction, etc pretty much gives their game up.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,706 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Yep. That’s what it looks like when they go all out. The fact that the others can’t exceed it despite direct injection, higher compression, higher rpm, lower friction, etc pretty much gives their game up.
I guess until they uncork the rest of the new 4.0L's potential with the .2 RS
Old 12-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 500 Posts

I do recalled AP mentioned somewhere that the new oiling system and other internal changes to the .2 engines over the .1 freed up around 20HP. So basically at the same power level the new engine is less stressed.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:30 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Facinating. What is the inference from the lumps in the torque curve of the 991.2 GT3?
Old 12-26-2017, 02:34 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
U mean new 2rs, I assume? Turbo torque plus aero and rws?
No I think we all realize that is going to be good I mean the GT3RS ver2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring