Sponsored by:

991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
I look forward to the R and 991.2 GT3 comparison whoopsy.
I had tidbits here and there and quite a few guys have posted theirs also.

Coles Notes version is that they are similar but different. The .2 GT3 is a bit more refined. the 911R is rougher, especially the ones with the SMFW. At higher rpm there is more intake resonance in the GT3. In stock form I find the GT3 a little bit louder in exhaust note. Road noise and others I felt about the same but some others find the 911R transmit more of those inside. Moot point now as I swapped exhaust on the 911R and the exhaust note now dominates.

The GT3 is a little bit stiffer sprung, I like it much better than the softer 911R. Better to live with day to day too as the softer spring on the 911R means the rear will bottom out on speed bumps and crashing the rear diffuser onto the bump. Attached is a picture of my diffuser. Thank god Porsche has the common sense to make it out of plastic.

Both has the exactly same gearbox, so the shifting is rifle bolt precise, zero chance of missing a shift.

I much prefer the new PCM in the GT3, missing CarPlay and SiriusXM in my 911R. But that's sort of nitpicking.

While the 911R IS lighter, extra body motion of the softer springs makes it feels like it's heavier and less precise. But perhaps that was the point from AP, the 911R is a raw animal that's not precise. GT3 is a track weapon and needed to be precise.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:43 PM
wolfmobil
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
There's a lot more to Rennlist than the overpriced 991 R and its sanctimonious speculator ownership group (specifically referring to the seeming majority who spend more time posting about the car then actually driving it)

The real irony is that you can't see the hypocrisy in your own post.
No one on this forum posts more about R than you. And the only thing you're obsessed with is the price. Let it go. Go drive some cars. Hope it will help you get over whatever it is.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:59 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I don't mind reading about the price, among other things, and I've enjoyed the discussions in this thread. I do find it slightly irritating when a member is being ganged up on and bullied into silence about what seems to be a sensitive issue for some (price). Whether the R is worth the market price differential vs the .2 GT3 is a perfectly valid question for many here. Thankfully, anyone who finds a subject distasteful, uninteresting, or irrelevant is perfectly free to skip it.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:48 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
I do find it slightly irritating when a member is being ganged up on and bullied into silence about what seems to be a sensitive issue for some (price). Whether the R is worth the market price differential vs the .2 GT3 is a perfectly valid question for many here.
It is a perfectly valid question. In fact whoopsy and I both came just to the conclusion on another thread that as a driver it’s likely worth no more than the GT3 Touring, and possibly less. That thread remained a civil discussion that didn’t devolve into name calling. This one went south fast, and while there are likely a few reasons I’m more than comfortable calling one out.

A quick search of destacado’s posts shows that every one of his last 25 was somehow related to GT3 value. Of those I count roughly half that were directly insulting to their forum members in some way (calling them trolls, sanctimonious, “dick measurers”, hypocrites, “blowing smoke up everyone’s ***”, etc.

I measure forums by signal to noise and the level of conversation. I can’t see any argument that he’s not bringing both down dramatically, and pushing contributing members (I usually like to count myself in that group) out in the process. I try to stay out of things like this, but sometimes a troll needs to be called a troll. If the forum doesn’t self-police it can and will decline (witness most other boards). $.02
Old 12-22-2017, 05:54 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb

It is a perfectly valid question. In fact whoopsy and I both came just to the conclusion on another thread that as a driver it’s likely worth no more than the GT3 Touring, and possibly less. That thread remained a civil discussion that didn’t devolve into name calling. This one went south fast, and while there are likely a few reasons I’m more than comfortable calling one out.

A quick search of destacado’s posts shows that every one of his last 25 was somehow related to GT3 value. Of those I count roughly half that were directly insulting to their forum members in some way (calling them trolls, sanctimonious, “dick measurers”, hypocrites, “blowing smoke up everyone’s ***”, etc.

I measure forums by signal to noise and the level of conversation. I can’t see any argument that he’s not bringing both down dramatically, and pushing contributing members (I usually like to count myself in that group) out in the process. I try to stay out of things like this, but sometimes a troll needs to be called a troll. If the forum doesn’t self-police it can and will decline (witness most other boards). $.02
+1 - as someone who couldn't get an R and awaiting a GT3 Touring im genuinely interested and eager to hear peoples opinions. That guy is just trolling big-time and crowding out the people who have something to contribute (especially the ones that have driven both)
Old 12-22-2017, 06:01 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I read somewhere you were a disappointed member who couldn't get a 911R due to its very limited run. Nevertheless, I fully respect your posts. My own $0.02.

Drive safe,
GT3TS-Fan1

Old 12-22-2017, 06:07 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

I haven't done the analysis so I trust your judgment. I agree, insults are unacceptable and should be self-policed before things go downhill, however it takes two to tango regardless of who drew the "first blood". Whoever keeps engaging him in these "discussions" is probably not completely blameless. Just my $0.02 also.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Yes, also got pulled over for speeding. The cop did a ton of selfies with the car. First time he had seen one.

But did you get a pass?
Old 12-22-2017, 07:06 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe the reason the board is going downhill is because of all the butthurt speculators that are more concerned with protecting the value of their limited edition cars then actually driving them and people like you that can't even argue based on facts. When people drive their cars enough to actually break in the motor, maybe their answers will finally line up with everyone else and they'll stop calling their own answers "opinions."
Except, I've driven my R more than 6000 miles in a year, including 5 trackdays, and two sets of tires, and you still think you know more about it than I do, going by your previous posts. I've also driven countless road and track miles in GT3 and RS. All of which are great cars, but different.

My opinion is, like or or not, more valid than your uninformed one, and it doesn't line up with your 'answers'

Selling R, not a chance - it's a milestone car. Value - not a care, bought it for MRSP and not selling,

Last edited by Footsoldier; 12-22-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:11 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Did a round trip from Vancouver to Las Vegas for SEMA earlier. On winter tires. Good thing as it snowed on the passes on the way back. Yes, also got pulled over for speeding. The cop did a ton of selfies with the car. First time he had seen one.
Very impressive, but 918 in the snow with summer tires is where it's at....

Old 12-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Footsoldier

Very impressive, but 918 in the snow with summer tires is where it's at....

Oh god, you got MAJOR *****!!!!
Old 12-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
But did you get a pass?
That's the million $ question isn't it?

It happened on the way down. I didn't go to jail and also made it home!

They were looking for us all morning, some truckers called us in when we left Jackpot. He had to write a ticket but it was for 10 over.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:34 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Dude. Can you teach me how to become you.
Work on a killer slider and change up, fastballs are overrated
Old 12-22-2017, 07:36 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Cool. Get in line to take your swing. Your car isn't that special anymore and the value is gonna keep declining because of it. If you want to argue with a specific point I made than feel free to quote me like I've done with numerous people here that ran their mouth without even a hint of research. Otherwise it's just baseless nonsense because you're upset I pointed out reality.
i genuinely can't argue with that...
Old 12-22-2017, 07:39 PM
tims16m
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

Great post. ...except I wasn't referring to you with that comment in the slightest.

I was simply referring to the above-referenced individual that was putting out information that is at odds with what reviewers and what even you stated yourself. Why is he calling what should be objective claims "opinions?" ....because as per what you've reported they're bull****.
I'm not much interested in carrying on with this thread, but I thought I would least help you in understanding the terminology that you are obliterating. First, there is a difference between objective vs subjective statements. If you don't know the difference, I would implore you to consult a dictionary or maybe use the internet which you are accustomed to. An OBJECTIVE claim or statement would refer to something which can be quantified in a measurable and reproducible result that can be used as a data point to support the claim as fact. SUBJECTIVE claims are statements not based in fact and more relevant to a personal observation. So when someone is saying one car is louder than the other, unless there is data to support the statement it would be considered subjective. I did not see any data i.e. decibel readings which would substantiate a result. Therefore, my SUBJECTIVE observation would be considered an opinion, as well as Top Gear and Whoopsy. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Sorry everyone, just seems sort of scary when he doesn't understand the difference between an opinion and fact.

Quick Reply: 991R vs 991.2 GT3 Touring