Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Shivjeet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 991.2 GT3 factory exhaust issue

ISSUE FIXED!!! SEE POST #11

Hey everyone,

My 991.2 GT3 was delivered to me exactly a month ago. It's the first and only one in India for now! Since there's no second car that I can compare mine with in the country, I need you guys to help me out with a query. A clarification from you guys would be a lot better than going to the service centre first and getting it checked from technicians who would be seeing such an issue for the first time themselves

So a few days back, out of curiosity I started her up and checked how much of a throw the exhaust has :P. Turns out that the left tail pipe has a really weak pressure/throw than the right side and this is the same case with valves open or closed. I could literally blow air into a balloon with more force. I have checked it again and again after driving around as well, but the difference persists and feels abnormal to me. The right side has a proper throw.

Now that so many .2's have been delivered, I'd appreciate if any one of you (more observations are always better) could just put their palm facing the tail pipes and check the pressure of both sides. Please help me out, it'll only take 5 minutes!!

Attaching a picture where you can see residue in the right tailpipe, which has proper pressure I believe.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Shivjeet; 11-21-2017 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Self diagnosed the issue
Old 11-14-2017, 05:11 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Bump- Has anyone helped you yet??? If i were not out of town I would let you know
Old 11-14-2017, 05:20 AM
Shivjeet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Bump- Has anyone helped you yet??? If i were not out of town I would let you know
Hey, not yet! Looks like everyone is busy drooling over their cars. When will you be back home?
Old 11-14-2017, 05:54 PM
bruce987
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok I just checked my car and all seems normal. Flow from both exhaust pipes are the same with or without the sport exhaust on. I also do not see any carbon build up in the exhaust. The car has about 220 miles on it. You may need to take the car to a dealer to take a look at it.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:05 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

What would cause an imbalance? Either an exhaust leak (should be evident) or a broken flapper?
Old 11-14-2017, 07:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

How does the car perform? Is it sluggish or hesitating?

I would take the car in just to give you peace of mind. I assume your hesitation to do so is the dealer is not near you.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:14 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

And, keep in mind that the center muffler mixes the exhaust flow from the headers. So, the low flow on left exhaust tip is probably caused by something in the center muffler itself.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:25 AM
Shivjeet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bruce987
Ok I just checked my car and all seems normal. Flow from both exhaust pipes are the same with or without the sport exhaust on. I also do not see any carbon build up in the exhaust. The car has about 220 miles on it. You may need to take the car to a dealer to take a look at it.
Thanks for confirming. Definitely not normal in my case then.

Originally Posted by GrantG
What would cause an imbalance? Either an exhaust leak (should be evident) or a broken flapper?
I think its an issue with the flapper, as that's the first thing that comes to my mind too.

Originally Posted by Nick

I would take the car in just to give you peace of mind. I assume your hesitation to do so is the dealer is not near you.
Performs just fine I feel. The dealer is close but I wanted input from fellow rennlisters like you, before I show it to the dealer. They don't have experience with GT3's due to the reason that India has only 4 GT3's in total, including previous gen ones. Now that I know it's not normal, I'll get it checked and rectified.

Originally Posted by alpine-al
And, keep in mind that the center muffler mixes the exhaust flow from the headers. So, the low flow on left exhaust tip is probably caused by something in the center muffler itself.

Thanks a tonne for this info as I had no clue about this. Seems like a really weird issue to me now!
Old 11-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Shivjeet
Intermediate

So the technician from the local Porsche Centre came over to my place, to have a look at the exhaust issue. He connected the diagnostics and all seemed normal. He then put his hand under the car to check the flapper mechanism and he felt it work (this is what he said) when it turned on and off. According to him the flow in both the pipes is equal when the flaps are closed and when they're open the right one has a much higher flow, which he says is completely normal. He went on to justify it by saying that the engine management system takes care of how much flow should be there on which side.

I still find it really weird. I can literally keep my palm on left tail pipe when the flaps are open, as it blows somewhat cooler air. Don't know what to do!
Old 11-19-2017, 03:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Have you ever tested exhaust flow or temps on other cars?.. I’m thinking you might be worrying about something which is inconsequential. just go drive your car and enjoy it, this doesn’t seem like a problem.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:10 PM
Shivjeet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Have you ever tested exhaust flow or temps on other cars?.. I €™m thinking you might be worrying about something which is inconsequential. just go drive your car and enjoy it, this doesn €™t seem like a problem.

This is what I found the issue to be. The flapper inside the exhaust pipe was disconnected from the actuator.

This is how it's supposed to be.

I have finally managed to find the cause and fix it myself. The connection is till loose, as I went for a drive after fixing it and when I got back home it had slipped out of place again. Looks like being OCD about such things isn't bad after all, as the flow felt abnormal for sure and it was because of the above reasons.

I had zero hopes from the local Porsche service centre guys, and my doubts about their capabilities came out to be true when the technician passed it off as normal. I hope this issue wouldn't have affected my engine as I have completed 1100 kms with a closed flap on one side

Any views on this would be appreciated
Old 11-21-2017, 02:47 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Well done for persevering with issue. I suggest going back to your dealer, telling them what the issue is, point out their incompetence, and let them fix the car (new part or official fix), and get compensated!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:11 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Glad you figured it out and sad that the service techs didn't.

How could something like slip past a dealer PDI, left the factory like this or happen on a brand new Porsche.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:14 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

OCD is good at times, OP.

Further to what haku stated above.. Since your location may not support multiple dealerships within a reasonable distance, you should really take this up with both your service manager and general manager. I would recommend not ripping them apart, but speaking with them so that you can share the knowledge you have gleamed on our own. Better to educate in this situation and help to better the relationship between yourself and those 2 individuals. Having the Service Manager on your side is always a good thing when it comes down to any warranty or service work issues that you may encounter down the ownership line.

GL and GJ on troubleshooting.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:14 AM
Shivjeet
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nick

Now that it’s fixed, I can feel that it’s revving a lot happily. I think it was taking some effort before to rev up. Does this mean the engine was under stress and that’s not good? Would this have caused any issues which may trouble in the long term performance of the car? I plan on keeping it forever, which is why I’m worried.

Originally Posted by Haku
Well done for persevering with issue. I suggest going back to your dealer, telling them what the issue is, point out their incompetence, and let them fix the car (new part or official fix), and get compensated!
Thanks! Will be in touch with the dealer to get it fixed now.

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Glad you figured it out and sad that the service techs didn't.

How could something like slip past a dealer PDI, left the factory like this or happen on a brand new Porsche.
Its actually quite a sad thing. Though I wonder if they check the exhaust during PDI :S

Originally Posted by RealityGT
OCD is good at times, OP.

Further to what haku stated above.. Since your location may not support multiple dealerships within a reasonable distance, you should really take this up with both your service manager and general manager. I would recommend not ripping them apart, but speaking with them so that you can share the knowledge you have gleamed on our own. Better to educate in this situation and help to better the relationship between yourself and those 2 individuals. Having the Service Manager on your side is always a good thing when it comes down to any warranty or service work issues that you may encounter down the ownership line.

GL and GJ on troubleshooting.
You’re right. The owner is quite friendly, so I anyways wouldn’t blast the GM. Plus I’ll always need their help as you said

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: 2018 991.2 GT3 factory exhaust issue