Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White 991.2 GT3 Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 05:06 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

So to do the passenger side seat, it's pretty easy, but scary if you haven't done it before.
1) Lower seat
2) Disconnect battery
3) Remove seat (4 torx bolts and a large connector). To remove the connector, you just pull the slide out.
4) To remove the bottom cushion, first remove the two plastic pieces (patience and a good 45 degree pick works)

5) Cushion is velcroed in place and you can remove the front by pulling on the edging
6). Looking from underneath, you'll see a hole where the belt should go through.
7) You'll want to make a small cut to the thread here, and also on the same side, to the thread where the velcro is attached. Make sure to cut it in the middle.

I used a small pick to get the thread up a little bit so I can cut it. Then start to unravel it to the almost the edge of the hole on both sides.

For the velcro piece, you can remove most of the thread as you'll have to restitch the velcro and add another new piece to the other side.

6) You'll end up with two tag ends at each side (since you started in the middle). Tie them into a knot at each end. This will keep the thread from unraveling further. You can also add your own stitch on each side to keep it secure as well.

7) sew in the velcro you removed to only one side and then add another piece of velcro (hook / hook) to the other loose end of material.

8) Reinstall the cushion / clips.

9) Install your sub bar and sub belts. Install seat / connector. Re-connect battery. Install harnesses. Have fun.

Was pretty painless and is basically pre-configured from the factory.

The passthrough in the seat was premarked (as shown above). I used an oscillating tool and dremel to make the rounded ends. Took 5 minutes to cut the hole.

It could probably take me an hour to do the whole job next time... I have to do my brother-in-law's 16 .1 GT3 this weekend, so we'll see.

As long as you are comfortable with cutting a hole in your new seat shell and pulling a few threads, it's very low risk and easy to do.

Last edited by awew911; 01-03-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:36 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Just wondering why you didn't just split the Alcantra from the seam on the other side of the Velcro strip in your photo. If you split the seam underneath the seat where the alcantra is sewn together you can leave the velcro attached and you will be able put your fingers through the passthrough to the seam in the seat. I was then able to just split the seat seam with a thread cutter and push the seatbelt through. No sewing required. Not sure if I missed something but it seems to have worked.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:59 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles
Just wondering why you didn't just split the Alcantra from the seam on the other side of the Velcro strip in your photo. If you split the seam underneath the seat where the alcantra is sewn together you can leave the velcro attached and you will be able put your fingers through the passthrough to the seam in the seat. I was then able to just split the seat seam with a thread cutter and push the seatbelt through. No sewing required. Not sure if I missed something but it seems to have worked.
Your way probably works as well, though we both probably achieved the same result. But I believe two seams need to be opened - the velcro part, and the cushion part. Right?

Did you end up with velcro on both sides? One facing forward, the other backwards? I tried to mimic how it is setup on the driver's side.

Used 4" Velcro from Amazon and black nylon heavy duty thread to re-attache velcro pieces.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
Your way probably works as well, though we both probably achieved the same result. But I believe two seams need to be opened - the velcro part, and the cushion part. Right?

Did you end up with velcro on both sides? One facing forward, the other backwards? I tried to mimic how it is setup on the driver's side.

Used 4" Velcro from Amazon and black nylon heavy duty thread to re-attache velcro pieces.
I just slit the seam to the inside of the Velcro which ends up leaving original Velcro in place. The factory just sewed a seam that sealed the passthrough with Alcantra on both sides. Leave the outside alone and you can slide fingers through like a pocket. All good I’m just trying to save work as you just need a thread cutter and 5 minutes.

PS Great job on cutting you actual seat. I was chicken and had “my guy” cut it.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:16 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Turtles

I just slit the seam to the inside of the Velcro which ends up leaving original Velcro in place. The factory just sewed a seam that sealed the passthrough with Alcantra on both sides. Leave the outside alone and you can slide fingers through like a pocket. All good I’m just trying to save work as you just need a thread cutter and 5 minutes.

PS Great job on cutting you actual seat. I was chicken and had “my guy” cut it.
Thank you...

Next up... pccb to steel and caliper studs....
Old 12-18-2017, 09:50 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

After work decompression....

Old 12-20-2017, 10:26 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Tonight's project is rear rotors/pads/caliper studs...

Old 12-20-2017, 10:31 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Nice I had the setup on my .1GT3 and they worked great
Old 12-22-2017, 01:50 AM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 126 Posts

So to do the passenger side seat, it's pretty easy, but scary if you haven't done it before.

The passthrough in the seat was premarked (as shown above). I used an oscillating tool and dremel to make the rounded ends. Took 5 minutes to cut the hole.

It could probably take me an hour to do the whole job next time... I have to do my brother-in-law's 16 .1 GT3 this weekend, so we'll see.

As long as you are comfortable with cutting a hole in your new seat shell and pulling a few threads, it's very low risk and easy to do.
Which bits did you use on your dremel and oscillating tool to cut the CF seat shell? Cut off disc?
I am going to do mine soon. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:57 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wind911
Which bits did you use on your dremel and oscillating tool to cut the CF seat shell? Cut off disc?
I am going to do mine soon. Thanks.
I'm going to do another one tomorrow. I'll make a video of the process.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:04 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=awew911;14682824]Tonight's project is rear rotors/pads/caliper studs...

I have the studs but have yet to install , any advice or issues ?
Old 12-23-2017, 08:06 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Ddesimone17;14687727]
Tonight's project is rear rotors/pads/caliper studs...

I have the studs but have yet to install , any advice or issues ?
no issues at all. I used a couple zip ties to hang the calipers during the installation. Piece of cake.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:00 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Installed AWE wind foils. Worked like a charm. Wrapped them In dead matte black. Took 5 mins to install both sides and got rid of buffeting.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:51 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Heading to Sebring next weekend. Swapped out the factory fluid for some Castrol SRF.
I will also have the pleasure of instructing my 18 year old son in the car as well (a true gift to be able to do so). He has done one previous event in his E92 M3, so he should be good in the GT3. He has a good head on his shoulders and knows his limits.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:06 PM
Swerveskip
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

did you feel the need to install the seat angle adjusters for use with the LWB seats and the harness?

Quick Reply: White 991.2 GT3 Project