Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Waiting on your GT3 to arrive? Prepare yourself. (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1034289-waiting-on-your-gt3-to-arrive-prepare-yourself.html)

Detailed Designs 11-11-2017 12:51 PM

Waiting on your GT3 to arrive? Prepare yourself.

Heads up:
The paint's looking pretty rough all of the .2 GT3's that have come to us. Do not be surprised if your .2 has sanding marks, deep scratches(it can even be through the clear), holograms and other trash in the paint.

Just because "it's new" doesn't mean anything to the guy you take it to for a coating or detail. :icon107:

I have some video that shows of the severity of this very soon. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

*edit*
Here's the video of some of the defects.

gtr 11-11-2017 01:02 PM

How would that be possible. Damaged repair from shipping?

Detailed Designs 11-11-2017 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by gtr (Post 14597059)
How would that be possible. Damaged repair from shipping?

If there is a gouge in the paint, sure. But everything else is the nature of banging out cars. Any manufacturer with a huge demand on cars has to produce them quickly and pat em on the butt as fast as possible to get them out. It's the nature of the beast.

This isn't about picking on Porsche. Porsche makes incredible cars. Every manufacturer faces something similar. I will explain some of the nuances in a future post where I share the video as well.

JFA65 11-11-2017 01:20 PM

Mine arrived two weeks ago. Goes to paint shop Monday. Hood will probably require paint and all panels will require deep polishing. Scratches, pitting on top surface of the front fenders, whirls, swirls, and spyder webbing everywhere. Wasnt a result of dealer as car per my request was delivered untouched, no prep, and the adhesive protective covers still attached.

I can understand an occasional glitch, my hood, but I don’t understand the generalized scratches and whirls under the plastic wrapping. The problem was noted day of delivery and dealer has been very supportive. No, I’m not returning it.

evilfij 11-11-2017 01:27 PM

Any coorelation to color? IE red ones worse, white ones better or just all standard not great paint?

JFA65 11-11-2017 01:33 PM

Unaware of any color correlation or if it’s a widespread issue. Too small of sample base. Mine is Carmine Red. Unsure how color correlates to whirls/swirls and scratches.

Ddesimone17 11-11-2017 01:44 PM

A friend of mine and I Both chose. graphite blue delivered late October no major paint issues to speak of

1-Bad-911 11-11-2017 01:47 PM

I hope that customers taking delivery of GT3's in this condition are reporting this issue back to Porsche. Cars in this price range should never be delivered in this type condition. If a customer has to take his GT3 to a detailer because its in this type of condition then Porsche should have to pay the bill.....IMO

Golden Boy 11-11-2017 01:49 PM

Nothing new to porsche. My gt3rs in videos below

IrishAndy 11-11-2017 02:37 PM

Great looking car. I watched that video when it first came out.

Anything through the clear is totally nuts, though and would be a deal-breaker for me. I wouldn't accept that on a Nissan Versa, let alone a Porsche.

JFA65 11-11-2017 04:30 PM

Not giving it back after waiting 14 months for this one and 18 months for the .1. A hiccup but it can be repaired to Porsche standards. A first world problem and not worth a lot of anxiety.

IrishAndy 11-11-2017 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by JFA65 (Post 14597423)
Not giving it back after waiting 14 months for this one and 18 months for the .1. A hiccup but it can be repaired to Porsche standards. A first world problem and not worth a lot of anxiety.

Hopefully it gets fixed to your standards and all works out.

I've never had great luck with body shops and I couldn't put up with a brand new car having paint that didn't meter right. Also, they keep making the clear thinner and thinner, and if they're going to take that approach, they need to take the requisite care that such paint requires.

Porsche used to be renowned for good paint. They need to get back to that level.

IrishAndy 11-11-2017 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs (Post 14597065)
If there is a gouge in the paint, sure. But everything else is the nature of banging out cars. Any manufacturer with a huge demand on cars has to produce them quickly and pat em on the butt as fast as possible to get them out. It's the nature of the beast.

This isn't about picking on Porsche. Porsche makes incredible cars. Every manufacturer faces something similar. I will explain some of the nuances in a future post where I share the video as well.

Thanks. Are you noticing any difference in paint hardness between this current crop and previous 991s that you've worked on? Also, any difference between colors?

JFA65 11-11-2017 04:58 PM

There are worse problems. My first Porsche, a 1976 S, was receiving service in 1978 at the Porsche dealership and a car fell off the adjacent lift onto mine. Passenger door, fender, and hood damaged. They repainted five times with so much overspray that it would cut your fingers on the door and hood edges. That one went away to a new owner.

STG 11-11-2017 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
Heads up:
The paint's looking pretty rough all of the .2 GT3's that have come to us. Do not be surprised if your .2 has sanding marks, deep scratches(it can even be through the clear), holograms and other trash in the paint.

Just because "it's new" doesn't mean anything to the guy you take it to for a coating or detail. :icon107:

I have some video that shows of the severity of this very soon. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

They are following the Ferrari business model a little bit too much :eek:

Really no excuse for half ass quality out of Germany.