Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting on your GT3 to arrive? Prepare yourself.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Sloopy
I visited the Aston Martin factory and they said that an additional 50 hours were spent on the paint in finishing. Not surprising for a detailer to spend 20 or more if they are expected to deliver flawless paint. Most flaws can be covered and if you don't care or can't see the difference then great. My problem is that I do see it and it matters to me.

I am the kind of guy with a detailed eye and just naturally pick up small details. Can be very beneficial and a curse sometimes too.

Some people can walk by the same car/place/etc. and not see the same things as the next person.

Point being as mentioned, I do see and matters to me too.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:38 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I heard PAG recruited a bunch of new paint guys so they can crank out unlimited PTS cars. These new guys once worked for College Pro Painters. Yes, the ones with the crappy home paint jobs in your subdivisions.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Swerveskip
brand new, at the detailers for paint correction, ppf and coating. Never driven.
Whoa. Dude, no. I'm not that picky but actual pitting?!
At least get a free service out of it lol.
All will be forgotten on first drive though.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:48 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, and I am not giving it back either. Its a disappointment for sure, but the car is going to be killer so it will be what it is. Hey, at least it hasn't had to have a new engine......
Man, that sucks. If it's as bas as it looks I'm not sure if paint correction can fully deal with that, given the thickness of the clear coat.

Now I'm nervous...
Old 11-30-2017, 10:56 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Here is what i found on mine

That's rough mate! It'll be fixed for sure.
I'm glad you're not letting it wreck your enthusiasm for the car.

On a side note. Mine is at the detailers for getting rid of factory swirls particularly on the spoiler and rear bumper, then decided on entire car paint correction and ceramic coating, etc.

Yes, the paint finish isn't great but thankfully something within reason can be done about it. Form what I've been told by the pro's, most specialty high end brands are turning up new far worse than Porsche.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:01 AM
Swerveskip
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Paint correction will not make it perfect, some wet sanding and polishing will reduce the scale of pitting. Choosing not to be worked up over this as it won't actually effect my enjoyment. While i am taking some pains to protect the car from track use, I am going to earn some imperfections myself.

I am genuinely thrilled to have the car, while more surprised in the quality control of PAG on this. I consider it their problem, not mine as i can live with it on a unique car. I am appreciate of the empathy.

I only post in deference to the OP who was bringing this kind of thing to our attention. Now if he has some suggestions on what to do, I am all ears.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Paint correction will not make it perfect, some wet sanding and polishing will reduce the scale of pitting. Choosing not to be worked up over this as it won't actually effect my enjoyment. While i am taking some pains to protect the car from track use, I am going to earn some imperfections myself.

I am genuinely thrilled to have the car, while more surprised in the quality control of PAG on this. I consider it their problem, not mine as i can live with it on a unique car. I am appreciate of the empathy.

I only post in deference to the OP who was bringing this kind of thing to our attention. Now if he has some suggestions on what to do, I am all ears.
From the image it's more than a paint issue and looks like pellet indentations. If that is correct, would a very good dent repair professional not be able to fix it?
Old 11-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey fellas. Sorry for my absence from responding. As you can imagine, we are very busy.

I promise to go back and address any questions or comments that my .02 may be wanted in on. :P
Old 11-30-2017, 12:45 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
From the image it's more than a paint issue and looks like pellet indentations. If that is correct, would a very good dent repair professional not be able to fix it?
solvent popping...it’s a paint issue​​​​​.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:55 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
solvent popping...it’s a paint issue​​​​​.
Thanks for the explanation Moe.

Last edited by Haku; 11-30-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:58 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 707 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Thank for the explanation Moe.
thanks...the only thing that bothers me about is, Porsche NEVER sends cars out like that. Their QC would pick that up.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:09 PM
Capt_and
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

I took a road trip with my wife to Atlanta last weekend and visited PEC while we were there. Since we were using Uber to get around I thought that it would be nice to get my car properly paint corrected by a professional. Detailed Designs was the only detailer I have ever seen with 5 star reviews across the board and I was so intrigued. I tried calling but it turns out that they are NOT accepting any new clients and that there is a wait list. That being said, I don't think the OP is hurting for business enough to start a frenzy or post anything ridiculous to stir up some extra business. I personally find his posts 100% true but I am also a perfectionist. And no, I never got my car paint corrected because any work that is short of perfection can be done by myself in my own garage.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:17 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
I would imagine every one of these GT3's will have some level of paint defects. It's really up to what the owner will tolerate.
That's a healthy view to it.

Originally Posted by ryem3
Someone said the worst paint they ever saw was on a Bentley. Strange, because a Bentley is one of the very few cars produced without orange peel in the paint finish. It is therefore very difficult to deliver a poor paint finish because it will stick out like a sore thumb. Orange peel hides many ills.
They can look nice as long as the owner continues to have something slathered on the paint which will fill the defects left over. Decontaminate any brand new Bentley and you'll have sanding marks galore. For most Bentley owners, it's a non-issue though. /shurg

Originally Posted by Sloopy
I visited the Aston Martin factory and they said that an additional 50 hours were spent on the paint in finishing. Not surprising for a detailer to spend 20 or more if they are expected to deliver flawless paint. Most flaws can be covered and if you don't care or can't see the difference then great. My problem is that I do see it and it matters to me.
Perfect example of how everyone's different and why consulting with an owner is so important. Thanks for the comment!

Originally Posted by mrhamamg
updating my previous post. I initially asked my dealer not to prep or do anything to the paint, so I’m sure some of this would have been taken care of already...But I finally shipped to my house and looked at it in proper light and wow is it bad. Much worse than my GTS. Nothing permanent though and it will all come out with a polish. Will post pics when finished
On par with every one I've seen.

Those spots may be able to be touched up so they are never visible. Basically, a base coat back fill to bring the depth up a tick and then a clear coat touch up, wet sand and polish to level. We do this regularly for new cars that are driven a little and get chips before the owner can leave it with us.

Originally Posted by Capt_and
I took a road trip with my wife to Atlanta last weekend and visited PEC while we were there. Since we were using Uber to get around I thought that it would be nice to get my car properly paint corrected by a professional. Detailed Designs was the only detailer I have ever seen with 5 star reviews across the board and I was so intrigued. I tried calling but it turns out that they are NOT accepting any new clients and that there is a wait list. That being said, I don't think the OP is hurting for business enough to start a frenzy or post anything ridiculous to stir up some extra business. I personally find his posts 100% true but I am also a perfectionist. And no, I never got my car paint corrected because any work that is short of perfection can be done by myself in my own garage.
I appreciate your logical viewpoint. While I am not perfect, I strive for my company to be founded on honesty and ethical treatment of our clients. What I will not do, ever, is lie to a client or the public. Even if I were starving I would not create a false sense of terror in people as I like to have quality sleep at night.

It is true that we are letting unknown numbers that call us ring to our voicemail in which they are told exactly what you're saying. But this has become a method for me to ensure only those that are truly seeking us out for what we do are given time. We are fortunate to have more clients demanding work from us than we have time to quickly attend. So instead of watering down our limited time or cutting corners for the sake of generating more revenue, I have taken a path of putting our loyal long term clients first and only making time for those who are willing to be patient as we make time to get to their projects. This isn't meant to disrespect anyone. But I just don't have another answer to the supply/demand dynamic we face unless I lower my standard. Clearly, that's not an option.

95% of those that call do not leave a voicemail and the others that do, receive a call back from me as well as my undivided attention. It's worked well for our existing clients, new clients and my sanity in managing the demand for my low volume facility. If anyone reading this feels they shouldn't call, please don't feel that way. But also, please don't feel we can fit you in right away. Please call with as much heads up as humanly possible.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 AM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

I think some people here like to argue just for the sake of doing so.

*looks around

We ARE on the INTERNET, right?
Old 01-13-2018, 04:40 PM
TurboDogue
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DRPM
Any better quality leaving the factory with PTS?
my riviera car delivered in 2014 was awful. Had runs on the inside wall of the wheel well. Like someone sprayed too much paint, it ran and no one even bothered to buff it even with the reaming paint level before clear coat. Better not happen on my .2 at 13k PTS.

Quick Reply: Waiting on your GT3 to arrive? Prepare yourself.