Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting on your GT3 to arrive? Prepare yourself.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:07 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Okay- had my car since Friday. She is black and took possession of her on a rainy day. So today took her to my Detailer to get a quick wash and just to discuss the plans for the Tint and full Stealth wrap after the Holidays. We spent some time looking at the paint finish and yes - not so good. Although it will be getting a stealth wrap; so less important how the paint looks below- we decided she will need paint correction before they wrap. Yeh- nothing serious but my GT4 did not need paint correction but my GT3 will. Not a biggie. Whether it is because it is black, or crappy job at Dealer/PAG it is what it is. For some will not matter. For the perfectionist - it will.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:15 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I would imagine every one of these GT3's will have some level of paint defects. It's really up to what the owner will tolerate. I will most likely do a correction and at least a partial wrap.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:27 PM
ryem3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, serious thread here. Only had a few comments related to a few posts.

Someone said the worst paint they ever saw was on a Bentley. Strange, because a Bentley is one of the very few cars produced without orange peel in the paint finish. It is therefore very difficult to deliver a poor paint finish because it will stick out like a sore thumb. Orange peel hides many ills.

The OP comment mentioned that PPF has come a long way in the past five years. Absolutely true. Especially in terms of transparency, shine and self healing. So, why would you paint correct a car before putting film on it??? Sure you COULD, but why? The shine will come from the film the depth will be in the color. I would really challenge someone to show film on uncorrected paint and film on corrected paint. Just seems like a waste of money. Also, why would you coat the surface? Would only make it worse for the film.

Must say I feel a bit old school as well when considering the notion of spending thousands of dollars "treating" brand new paint. I'm on board with the wraps, they provide a beautiful, super low maintenance finish, that didn't need to be corrected and polished in the first place. Super pure paint will be exposed to the elements anyway.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:53 PM
Gef3rd
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Just dropped by to take a look at a friend's GT3 that showed up recently. Dealer was prepping car and noticed rear decklid and spoiler assembly paint didn't match the rest of the car. Car is black and decklid/spoiler assembly is metallic black. Dealer is asking factory to air freight a new painted assembly with correct sticker set.

Wouldn't want to be the final QC employee who signed off on that car.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:59 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Gef3rd
Just dropped by to take a look at a friend's GT3 that showed up recently. Dealer was prepping car and noticed rear decklid and spoiler assembly paint didn't match the rest of the car. Car is black and decklid/spoiler assembly is metallic black. Dealer is asking factory to air freight a new painted assembly with correct sticker set.

Wouldn't want to be the final QC employee who signed off on that car.
CXX gone berserk! ..... lol
Old 11-27-2017, 09:47 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Lol. Too bad it was not the other way around I would rooting around to get ahold of the black wing so I could switch between wing and no wing. Personally, I probably would have noticed it was metallic only years later ....
Old 11-27-2017, 10:07 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

I think every one over blowing how they are delivered. Yes- some may need some work than others'

My Detatailer and I went over my whole car and it was only $500 to make all things right. I saw, witnessed, and was happy with the outcome.

i could of just said "no need" but i am a little nuts so worth it for my piece of mind
Old 11-28-2017, 01:26 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
So a forum sponsor who is in the detailing business makes his legitimate observations to that crowd who is into detailing and he gets roasted for no reason??

If one does not see a value in these services do not do them. Very simple.

Rennlist has become the land of everyone has an opinion on everything and always having to be right or the last word. If having no interest in a thread why even bother to look or comment? No self control?

I think some people here like to argue just for the sake of doing so.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 11-28-2017, 01:35 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I visited the Aston Martin factory and they said that an additional 50 hours were spent on the paint in finishing. Not surprising for a detailer to spend 20 or more if they are expected to deliver flawless paint. Most flaws can be covered and if you don't care or can't see the difference then great. My problem is that I do see it and it matters to me.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:24 PM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhamamg
My guards red arrived today. No major paint defects or anything out of the ordinary. Looks pretty good actually. I’m still having my detailer polish the entire car before putting PPF on though...

updating my previous post. I initially asked my dealer not to prep or do anything to the paint, so I’m sure some of this would have been taken care of already...But I finally shipped to my house and looked at it in proper light and wow is it bad. Much worse than my GTS. Nothing permanent though and it will all come out with a polish. Will post pics when finished
Old 11-29-2017, 10:41 PM
Swerveskip
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is what i found on mine

Old 11-29-2017, 11:00 PM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow that is bad, it will buff right out!!
Old 11-29-2017, 11:06 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 698 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Swerveskip
Here is what i found on mine

yikes...that’s a new one?
Old 11-30-2017, 09:28 AM
Swerveskip
Intermediate

brand new, at the detailers for paint correction, ppf and coating. Never driven.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Swerveskip
Intermediate

Oh, and I am not giving it back either. Its a disappointment for sure, but the car is going to be killer so it will be what it is. Hey, at least it hasn't had to have a new engine......

Quick Reply: Waiting on your GT3 to arrive? Prepare yourself.