Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waiting on your GT3 to arrive? Prepare yourself.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

It's not a Porsche but it shows how even a brand new Mclaren 570S' paint can look. We picked this car up from the dealership, it never touched the road and with only a chemical decontamination it showed me what the paint would look like months down the road when the filler all washed out. There were similar defects all over the car and it required about 70 hours for my team and I to fix the paint(our client was provided with many options that ranged from spending nothing on PC to what he decided he wanted: perfection before getting an advanced full body ppf wrap, Modesta coatings galore and more). This project was completed a few months ago and I've had no time to prepare a full video but I did think this short clip was very telling and goes hand in hand with my post above that described what happens on new cars regardless of who makes it.

Here's a description from the youtube link(as it won't show when rendered here):

This was a brand new, never driven on the street Mclaren 570S. The first half of the clip shows what the whole bumper looked like with a tape line down the middle and the paint corrected on the driver side. The second portion of the clip shows how the paint looked once we completed our paint correction to permanently remove the defects. There was no coating, wax nor sealant on the bumper. It was pure clear coat.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:05 AM
mrhamamg
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

My guards red arrived today. No major paint defects or anything out of the ordinary. Looks pretty good actually. I’m still having my detailer polish the entire car before putting PPF on though...
Old 11-15-2017, 07:57 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread is all over the place.

Can we agree that minor marring is not a big deal, and is easily correctable?

Can we agree that major defects in the clear are not cool? Let's define that as scratches or marks that can be felt with a fingernail. This would require extreme carelessness in handling a car and actually damaging it after the paint process. They're correctable, but not without taking some portion of the clear coat off of a brand new car.

Can we agree that any damage through the clear is a complete no-no? To me, that's money back, a new allocation, or a walk-away.

We should refuse to get worked up about mild paint marring.

Equally we should refuse to accept significantly damaged paint on a brand new car without a wall of noise back to PCNA. Like most things in life you often get the minimum standard that you're willing to accept without a fight. Let's not let that minimum slip further just because this is a hot commodity.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:39 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Just finished doing the paint correction on the bonnet/roof/passenger side. I'm about 7 hours into it. Bought all my own Rupes polishers/pads/materials/elbow grease.

I only found one area on the bonnet where there appear to be sanding marks well under the clear coat. Hit it with some Chem guys V38 and it is hardly noticeable. Unless I point it out to you, you would never notice it. The fact that it's a white car probably contributes to that fact as well.

I think that if the car was anything but white, anomalies like what I noticed, would be more evident.

So far, the rest of the paint looks awesome and after applying V38, Gloss Workz, and then Jet Seal, it looks like a mirror (impressive even for white).

No question that these cars, like most manufacturers, benefit from a complete paint prep prior to PPF. Once the PPF is applied, you're stuck with what's underneath. PPF will not magically make your car shiny - a good finish will.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:59 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by awew911

I only found one area on the bonnet where there appear to be sanding marks well under the clear coat. Hit it with some Chem guys V38 and it is hardly noticeable. Unless I point it out to you, you would never notice it. The fact that it's a white car probably contributes to that fact as well.
Nice work! Just to clarify, do you mean the sanding marks were through the clear coat and into the color layer?

Hopefully not, as that could lead to later clear coat failure, plus the UV protection of the clear coat is gone (PPF is excellent, but deliberately doesn't provide UV protection).

As you say, not to bad on your (gorgeous) white car, but would be a mess on many others.

Can you confirm? Thanks!
Old 11-15-2017, 03:05 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

What is the filler which the OEM uses which makes the paint look good before decontaminating it? What happens if you keep reapplying this “filler†every six months, does the paint then look good?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:20 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CAlexio
What is the filler which the OEM uses which makes the paint look good before decontaminating it? What happens if you keep reapplying this “filler†every six months, does the paint then look good?
Not sure what specific product the OEM uses (JC?), but its probably some body shop-safe glaze.

Most waxes and glazes on the market have some ability to fill in minor imperfections and trick the eye into thinking they're not there. That is, until you wash the car a couple of times and the 'magic' is often gone, even though there is still wax protection. I've never seen a product have a decent filling effect for much longer than that.

That's precisely why detailer have to strip these products off using IPA or detergent... so that they can see the 'naked paint' and the true imperfections.

Of course you could keep reapplying such a product to fool the eye, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. What the experts like JC do is to make that naked paint perfect so that the paint continues to look great for a long time (assuming good wash habits).
Old 11-15-2017, 06:10 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Nice work! Just to clarify, do you mean the sanding marks were through the clear coat and into the color layer?

Hopefully not, as that could lead to later clear coat failure, plus the UV protection of the clear coat is gone (PPF is excellent, but deliberately doesn't provide UV protection).

As you say, not to bad on your (gorgeous) white car, but would be a mess on many others.

Can you confirm? Thanks!
It appears that the marks were below the clear coat. It's really no big deal. Unless I pointed it out to someone as OCD as some of us are (I may fall into that camp sometimes), nobody would ever notice it.

I also wouldn't call what I did a paint 'correction'. I'd call it a "post-delivery / pre-PPF paint prep". I did it to my 991 RS, my dad's Tanzenite Blue M4, and both of those are so shiny, people have NO idea they have any PPF on them.

And thank you for the compliment on the car...
Old 11-15-2017, 06:22 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by awew911
It appears that the marks were below the clear coat. It's really no big deal. Unless I pointed it out to someone as OCD as some of us are (I may fall into that camp sometimes), nobody would ever notice it.

I also wouldn't call what I did a paint 'correction'. I'd call it a "post-delivery / pre-PPF paint prep". I did it to my 991 RS, my dad's Tanzenite Blue M4, and both of those are so shiny, people have NO idea they have any PPF on them.

And thank you for the compliment on the car...
Thanks much - that's very helpful. Often the base coat will look dull and won't 'shine up' in that spot, but you have the perfect color for that, as you say.

On a strong color that would look like a dull spot and would be a serious fail. Thanks for all your help!
Old 11-16-2017, 01:39 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I picked up my .1 it looked great. Took it to the detailer and realized that it looked good because the dealer had put a lot of wax on and covered all the defects. After a good cleaning you could see sanding spots in many places. After paint correction it looked totally different.

Plain and simple most companies don't take the time to properly finish off the paint once its applied.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhamamg
My guards red arrived today. No major paint defects or anything out of the ordinary. Looks pretty good actually. I’m still having my detailer polish the entire car before putting PPF on though...
i don tthink you have the right light. NO PORSCHE has decent paint.

that said. it really depends on how particular you are.
some never correct paint
some take out EVERYTHING.
some take out some of the stuff.

do as u wish, no need to stress over it.
i used to be that way, now i learned to let it go and just thrash the car.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:04 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty

i used to be that way, now i learned to let it go and just thrash the car.
Great attitude, and great advice for many. Personally I need to make sure that every high value car I buy is void of any actual paint damage (vs. imperfections which can be removed if desired).

When it comes sale time there's always a buyer looking at the paint in the same way that I did.

PPF is the best weapon for the OCD type who wants to stop worrying
Old 11-16-2017, 11:20 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Typically, 3M products are used by manufacturers. Sand paper is either Mirka or 3M as well for whatever that's worth. :P

Originally Posted by mooty

that said. it really depends on how particular you are.
some never correct paint
some take out EVERYTHING.
some take out some of the stuff.

This may be the most on-point quote in this whole thread. Roll with the punches and do what makes you happy.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:50 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default saffron yellow video

I thought this video was apropos... as Porsche talks about what special care they take in applying saffron yellow with "sanding by hand".. and you see employees looking like they really give a **** about paint.. begs the question.. is this just with saffron yellow then?

Old 11-17-2017, 12:48 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

I thought this video was apropos... as Porsche talks about what special care they take in applying saffron yellow with "sanding by hand".. and you see employees looking like they really give a **** about paint.. begs the question.. is this just with saffron yellow then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekDXNqmaVXE
Seeing that young lady sand in a circular pattern with a block by hand made me cringe so hard.

Quick Reply: Waiting on your GT3 to arrive? Prepare yourself.