Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1034030-manual-vs-pdk-in-the-gt3-2-a.html)

Icutyou 11-09-2017 03:43 PM

Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2

Yes some of you already want to vomit reading that headline but I am stuck in a twisted internal debate on whether to spec my car with a clutch! Anyways beats talking about prices or how to spec your car so the nest guy likes it.
For me it will be a daily driver and sometimes track weapon. Keep in mind it will be a daily in the streets of NYC, mostly outside of manhattan.
I honestly don't know what to do. I LOVE the PDK but I also LOVE shifting gears and exercising my left calf.
These two articles didnt help.
Help me Rennlist, you're my only hope. Cool points for getting the reference.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...11-gt3-review/
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...nual-on-track/

0to60 11-09-2017 03:46 PM

DD in NYC, lol. Spec it the way you want, but get another car for a DD
Between the pot holes, road salt, traffic and parking
WHY ?

Icutyou 11-09-2017 03:47 PM

When I say DD, I mean most days when there isnt snow all over the road.
I don't mind the hassle too much. I dd'd a viper for a whole year. Yes seriously.

interesting article about differences in lap times with the manual vs. PDK.
I wonder if it was a response to the discussion in the car of the year thread here lol

manitou202 11-09-2017 03:49 PM

If it’s that hard to decide you’ll probably have some regret (grass is always greener on the other side) either way. You can’t go wrong with either and you’ll save yourself a lot of stress by just making a decision and not looking back.

bigskyGT3 11-09-2017 03:50 PM

Agree with Oto60 why bother. I understand you probably have limited parking options, but there has to be another way. I'm going MT, but its a personal decision like seat choice.

Star Wars...

Icutyou 11-09-2017 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4 (Post 14593056)
Agree with Oto60 why bother. I understand you probably have limited parking options, but there has to be another way. I'm going MT, but its a personal decision like seat choice.

Star Wars...

haha yep!

Sorry, just to clarify for out of staters. I'm not driving it a ton in manhattan mostly outer boroughs and long island.

but either way, I don't mind cars like this as DD. It's more the transmission debate.
Parking is $450ish a month but what are you gonna do.

Icutyou 11-09-2017 04:00 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7677469191.jpg

0to60 11-09-2017 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Icutyou (Post 14593062)
haha yep!

Sorry, just to clarify for out of staters. I'm not driving it a ton in manhattan mostly outer boroughs and long island.

but either way, I don't mind cars like this as DD. It's more the transmission debate.
Parking is $450ish a month but what are you gonna do.

The outer boroughs is worse. Belt parkway, LIE, Grand Central Parkway, all are always jammed. Pot holes that would swallow a camper RV. No where to park at destinations, stopping at red lights in Brooklyn or the Bronx waiting to be car jacked. Only way to drive a GT3 in NYC is out of all the boroughs. GT3 is too nice to be driven much inside any Borough.

Porsche911GTS'16 11-09-2017 04:10 PM

I am in a similar situation, living in LA. I have a 991.1 PDK GTS cab which I love. I was planning on going with the MT so I could have one of each but at the end of the day, I am not so enamored with shifting gears myself that I am starting to think about going with the PDK. I would be more prone to DD a PDK GT3 and when I feel like managing the gear changes, I can always use manual mode (as I do in the GTS). Having that flexibility with the PDK is very enticing. Yes, it would be very cool to have a 500 hp GT3 with a manual gearbox but from a practicality standpoint - and even from a pleasurable driving experience standpoint, for me, anyway - PDK is the better option.

Icutyou 11-09-2017 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4 (Post 14593056)

Star Wars...

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16 (Post 14593106)
I am in a similar situation, living in LA. I have a 991.1 PDK GTS cab which I love. I was planning on going with the MT so I could have one of each but at the end of the day, I am not so enamored with shifting gears myself that I am starting to think about going with the PDK. I would be more prone to DD a PDK GT3 and when I feel like managing the gear changes, I can always use manual mode (as I do in the GTS). Having that flexibility with the PDK is very enticing. Yes, it would be very cool to have a 500 hp GT3 with a manual gearbox but from a practicality standpoint - and even from a pleasurable driving experience standpoint, for me, anyway - PDK is the better option.

thanks for the input!
Yep that was exactly why initially I said "PDK, obviously PDK"
But after watching some videos and going on a drive with a friend in a manual 991.1 I am having the devil on my shoulder reminding me how much fun a manual is.
I may agree with you in the end though.
Thanks for the input!

Golden Boy 11-09-2017 04:18 PM

You have to be crazy to get a manual for nyc city streets. My left leg is cramping just thinking about it

RennOracle 11-09-2017 04:22 PM

Get a manual, put a deposit on the RS

Bossing 11-09-2017 04:23 PM

Metropolitan traffic-infested areas.... PDK should be a serious consideration. Plus it's quicker anyway when slingshotting from corner to corner. :D

chillindrdude 11-09-2017 04:25 PM

i daily my GT4 on the mean streets of DC.

like you, i drive my GT4 only when 1)it's not raining hard or any other frozen precipitation and/or 2)temps arent below 50degrees

i'd say, asymmetric hypertrophy of the quadriceps be damned, get the manual.

StudGarden 11-09-2017 04:42 PM

PDK.

Doesn’t matter though, as a GT3 is a ridiculous choice as a DD in NYC. It will be completely torn up. Baller move either way. Enjoy.