Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2

Old 11-15-2017, 03:45 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 293 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There is still the fact that one might choose one transmission over the other simply because they enjoy how it makes them feel driving the car. Nothing more. No need to overthink things or conclude on someone else's motivations, when you really have no idea what they might be.
There's no wrong choice here. They've both got their advantages. People should get what they want.

But referring to a PDK as a "manual" is flat-out wrong. It just is.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:14 PM
Scott_997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This manual box is one of the best I have ever driven. Up there with the feel of a 997.2 GT3. Quick and precise, with the addition of the auto blip on down shifts puts it over the top.

Clutch is so smooth and easy but not numb, very clear engagement point. I was also told by the dealer that if you accidentally stall when you clutch in, the car will automatically restart itself.

Other fav boxes were made by Graziano; they produced, for Aston and also they made gated I had on a Gallardo. Although buttery smooth and fun, they lack the speed and precision of this magical gearbox. I have had 5 other manual Porsches, this box is spectacular. It doesn't get any better then this. Theres no slop side to side or when shifting it, slides in and feels the same each time, never any grit feeling like you would have on a Carrera.

If you're a real enthusiast and have owned a 915 gearbox you won't even know what to do with yourself!!!!

If this isn't your daily and you love to track but don't care about lap times this is what you NEEEEED in your life. I am addicted. I just got back from a drive and just want another. Best Porsche I have ever owned.

The only thing that takes a little getting use to is using the parking brake. You get use to it.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:16 PM
Scott_997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsierra
I wonder how many manual advocates have actually driven a PDK-S, let alone track one.
I have what do you want to know?
Old 11-15-2017, 04:17 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott_997
This manual box is one of the best I have ever driven. Up there with the feel of a 997.2 GT3. Quick and precise, with the addition of the auto blip on down shifts puts it over the top.

Clutch is so smooth and easy but not numb, very clear engagement point. I was also told by the dealer that if you accidentally stall when you clutch in, the car will automatically restart itself.

Other fav boxes were made by Graziano; they produced, for Aston and also they made gated I had on a Gallardo. Although buttery smooth and fun, they lack the speed and precision of this magical gearbox. I have had 5 other manual Porsches, this box is spectacular. It doesn't get any better then this. Theres no slop side to side or when shifting it, slides in and feels the same each time, never any grit feeling like you would have on a Carrera.

If you're a real enthusiast and have owned a 915 gearbox you won't even know what to do with yourself!!!!

If this isn't your daily and you love to track but don't care about lap times this is what you NEEEEED in your life. I am addicted. I just got back from a drive and just want another. Best Porsche I have ever owned.

The only thing that takes a little getting use to is using the parking brake. You get use to it.
Great write-up!!!
Old 11-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 293 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott_997

Well if I wasn't sold before, I would be now.

As for the restart on stall... it's a neat feature. I think it's a side-effect of the auto-start/stop feature. My Boxster did it too and, while hopefully you don't use it very often, it's a nice touch when it does its thing.

As for lap times... well... if I'm faster than you with a PDK... I'm also going to be faster than you with a manual.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:42 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 52 Posts

both are great transmissions for sure. This is a blast of a car either way, just get whichever one makes you Happy!
Old 11-15-2017, 05:55 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueGT3
both are great transmissions for sure. This is a blast of a car either way, just get whichever one makes you Happy!
hence the dilemma!
So after much thought decided to get a PDK.
My reasoning is as follows
1. Planning on increasing track and auto cross days with the new car this next year and frankly I don’t think I’m a good enough driver to also have to include the shifting part of it. I’d like to concentrate on getting better just controlling the car for the time being.

2. For those very rare occasions when I’m tired as hell and can’t be bothered to shift, I like the option of being able to not think about it too much.
3. The PDKS is an exceptional marvel of engineering and I can’t help but feel like it’s a shame to miss out on a major feature designed for this purpose and the motor allegedly has been designed for this gearbox. Who am I to argue?
4. And this is the most minor. Would like my better half to be able to at least drive this car a bit. NOT TOO MUCH lol
I have to say the level of knowledge and input on this forum is amazing at times! I took my time reading every single response with a nice glass of bourbon and let it all sink in.
As many of you have said you really can’t lose in this scenario and I am just so thankful that I can even consider this car. I can’t wait to own it, drive and even just look at it.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:57 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default "PDK-S is basically a condom"

"Manuals are more fun and require skill to operate. Automatic gearboxes are basically condoms: The motions are undoubtedly the same, but unless you’re a robot, the joy of the process takes a hit. If you think motion is the sole purpose of a fast car, then hey, great. If you like the process and want to feel stuff, stay with a clutch pedal."

I thought this was just a really funny metaphor from the road and track article on the gt2-rs.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ws&date=111517

they also wrote "It’s not as engaging on a back road as the GT3, mainly because it doesn’t make that car’s obscene yowl and seems to want more pace in order to feel like it’s working. "... but I dont' want to post that because that would lead to nowhere good.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:43 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

If you had to purchase a used 997.2 with a manual or a PDK, what would you buy. I have never had a gt3 until now (end of december) and would have a hard time picking a PDK, but for the purpose of the GT3, it seems more of a challenge to those on the fence. then a normal 911 I waited for the manual. or would have skipped the car. I just don't understand why there is pressure to conform to one or the other. If i wanted a PDK great, if not Great. Its a preference.

As for drivers engagement , anyone who has been to a motorcycle track day or grew up road racing, has a totally different regard to engagement. All cars feel dead unless you are on the edge of wrecking. My 2 cents
Old 11-15-2017, 09:50 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
Been there, done that. commuted DD with manual GT3 and RS (never saw anything else P-car GT related commuting) in NYC for 8 years. Never had a problem and all cars were (are, will be manual) dumped the 1.1 after 4 months of paddles...what a bore fest.

my incoming allocation will be manual

get the car you want the way you want and drive the sh*t out of it

Old 11-16-2017, 02:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,476 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There is still the fact that one might choose one transmission over the other simply because they enjoy how it makes them feel driving the car. Nothing more. No need to overthink things or conclude on someone else's motivations, when you really have no idea what they might be.
WELL PUT and ON POINT

Originally Posted by RSUV
Can't believe no-one has yet mentioned the real reasons PDK wins out. Left foot braking and steering feel.

Left foot braking is far more rewarding than heel and toe, which is a nice, quaint, nostalgic thing. Pushing a clutch just gets boring, especially in traffic.

Left foot braking and keeping two hands at 2.45 on the wheel allows you to maximize the feel of a brilliant car through all four limbs always being in contact with a key control surface.

When you fully feel that car dance underneath you on the edge of adhesion it is a magnificent feeling - why would you want to take a hand off the wheel or simply use your left leg to push a simple pedal. Would not swap it for MT on a seriously capable car like ? Porsche GT. I have manual Imprezas for when I want to heel and toe, but that's not really why I keep them either.
because most ppl can't do it right so they dwell on heel and toe whch they also cannot do it right. if you got heel and toe right, you got it right then you wont dwell over it again and again... it's like once u actually can do advanced mathematics, you wont be discussing how fast u can recite the multiplication table anymore.

i am not sure why heel and toe is so fascination. i didnt know how to do it when i learned to drive at 16. i heard of it. so i took my dad's 84 G body out and in about 40 min, i got it down and can also double clutch up and down in his POS beetle in a week. it's NOT THAT HARD.

have u guys driven 997 cup car with semi sequential... heel and toe that.. lr is that also considered automatic.

Originally Posted by leif997
Been t

get the car you want the way you want and drive the sh*t out of it
YES

get whatever floats your boat, there is no need to discount the one you decide not to pick

an apple is not necessarily better than an orange.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:07 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

have u guys driven 997 cup car with semi sequential... heel and toe that.. lr is that also considered automatic.
I have! There's bits and pieces of it around here somewhere..... I agree, like the left foot brake, like the heel toe......like it all
Old 11-16-2017, 02:24 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Manual is the way to go. More levers the better.
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2017, 04:50 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Take this thinking forward, my bet is you're going to love self-driving cars....

You'd loose the bet :-)
Old 11-16-2017, 05:03 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RSUV
Can't believe no-one has yet mentioned the real reasons PDK wins out. Left foot braking and steering feel.

Left foot braking is far more rewarding than heel and toe, which is a nice, quaint, nostalgic thing. Pushing a clutch just gets boring, especially in traffic.

Left foot braking and keeping two hands at 2.45 on the wheel allows you to maximize the feel of a brilliant car through all four limbs always being in contact with a key control surface.

When you fully feel that car dance underneath you on the edge of adhesion it is a magnificent feeling - why would you want to take a hand off the wheel or simply use your left leg to push a simple pedal. Would not swap it for MT on a seriously capable car like ? Porsche GT. I have manual Imprezas for when I want to heel and toe, but that's not really why I keep them either.
Well said, agree 100% ! Has been said before though, plenty of times.

But that doesn't matter, everyone should get what they want.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2