Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 11:03 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

If it were my only car and I have to deal with traffic regularly, I guess I would get a PDK. Actually, give the above parameters, I would buy an SUV---a nice one, maybe a Bentayga or Range Rover. My sports cars have to be manual, especially old school cars like the 911. I would get the Performante because it is a "lap time" car so whatever is fastest should be on it, but for a useable daily-driving sports car, it will have to be a manual.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

for clarification a PDK is a MANUAL, it's sequential without a clutch. in my mind anyways. i am way busier driving pdk than manual.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:22 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
for clarification a PDK is a MANUAL, it's sequential without a clutch. in my mind anyways. i am way busier driving pdk than manual.
Not a true sequential gearbox though, correct?

I love my PDK and I love my manual. They're both awesome gearboxes. I do enjoy rowing gears though, purely for the physical pleasure of it. Nothing more.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:57 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Well, that post just made my day...
Glad to be of service.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:26 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

one could say its better than the old school manual as it has two clutches and not one
Old 11-15-2017, 12:31 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

PDK.

Simply because I hate driving a MT car. Takes away from the joy and enjoyment of driving.

It's really as simple as that for me.

YMMV
Old 11-15-2017, 12:54 AM
kkabba
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
PDK.

Simply because I hate driving a MT car. Takes away from the joy and enjoyment of driving.

It's really as simple as that for me.

YMMV
You must be a millennial
Old 11-15-2017, 12:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not a true sequential gearbox though, correct?

I love my PDK and I love my manual. They're both awesome gearboxes. I do enjoy rowing gears though, purely for the physical pleasure of it. Nothing more.
correct on both counts.
it's beest to have both

muhahahhaa
Old 11-15-2017, 03:22 AM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It’s really not that bad. Any NYC dweller knows when not to go driving around to avoid crappy traffic situations and generally traffic jams in Manhattan are not terribly long. And the tranny isn’t difficult to use. I wouldn’t not get one just because you might hit traffic a few times per year.

I would not get it because the ratios are annoyingly long and you’ll never see 8K RPM without getting arrested.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:13 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

LOL!!

It absolutely isn't. If it can shift itself with no interaction from you... you know... automatically... then it's an auto.
Just because you can butt in and order it around doesn't make it a manual. Sequential or otherwise.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:00 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
LOL!!

It absolutely isn't. If it can shift itself with no interaction from you... you know... automatically... then it's an auto.
Just because you can butt in and order it around doesn't make it a manual. Sequential or otherwise.
You can and should use it as a manual. Pull the lever towards you and it's in manual mode. Then there's no 'butting in' you have to change gear yourself (caveat: it will change down for you to avoid stalling).
Old 11-15-2017, 09:09 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I've been driving MT all my life. I'm just fed up with it, time to take it to the next level. This is my second PDK now, and I'm not looking back. Imo MT has no business anymore in a modern sportscar where performance is the focal point. Especially with a GT3 where the engine is clearly designed to be mated with a PDK to get the best out of it. Ordering it in MT will only numb down the experience. YMMV ofcourse, and every respect to the people that order the MT for whatever reason.
The following users liked this post:
michaeldorian (04-16-2021)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
You can and should use it as a manual. Pull the lever towards you and it's in manual mode. Then there's no 'butting in' you have to change gear yourself (caveat: it will change down for you to avoid stalling).
I don't disagree with that at all.

But when someone ask "Is it a manual or automatic?" if you say "manual" then you're delusional. It's not a manual transmission. A manual has a gear selector and a clutch pedal.

If it gives you the sad feels to say automatic then by all means say it's a PDK or a DCT or otherwise distinguish it from being a slushbox but it's NOT a manual.

Last edited by Wild Weasel; 11-15-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:17 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Ordering it in MT will only numb down the experience.
Not according to Jethro; it's the other way around.

Definitely horses for courses... No bad transmission options here.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:39 AM
RWK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PDK fans should be very happy with the revised transmission mapping in the 991GT3.2. In sport mode the program is much more adaptive to driver input. On initial activation, RPM does rise, but not to as high a level as on the .1.
With even the slightest aggressive throttle input, all hell breaks loose as before. a few seconds after cessation of aggressive control application, the map steps down to a lower but still elevated setting. On track operation will likely be similar as before, as the throttle is never relaxed for long. We will bring both to a track shortly to confirm.

Driving the .1 and .2 back to back, for a day, with many full throttle applications, aggressive cornering, etc, everyone agreed that this was perhaps the most significant improvement in the new machine, as well as the revised suspension 2nd. The roads used ranged from smooth highway to mid corner bump laden twisties. Sport mode can now be used more reasonably also on the street

Quick Reply: Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2