991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 09:01 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by PwAg

and yet I'd say for 95%+ of NYC surface street owners, PDK. Probably even a TTS over GT3. And in my own reality, mid 30's/limber, I'd probably even end up DD'ing Landcruiser/LX with ARB steel F&R bumpers down in the jungle.

In all seriousness though, you seem to have an unusually high threshold, and if already set on GT3 (these 991's are reasonably compliant), why not roll the dice on the MT? Short throws, relatively light/avg clutch weight, autorev match, launch control to get to that next traffic hold-up 500ft away. I'm sure you could swap out of it with ease after realizing it may be too much.
then what do you do with your left leg while scratching ??
Old 11-10-2017, 09:04 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Despite having driven both the R and .2 GT3 MT, I think I'll stick to Mooty's food thread.

Does anything good ever result from MT v. PDK threads? Hmm...
Thanks to threads like this,amplified by mainstream media,we still have a manual transmission in a GT Porsche.

OP,there’s no question : get the manual!
Old 11-10-2017, 09:28 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
Bored might not be exactly the right word. Maybe overworked. What I mean though is the PDK chap will be changing gear more often than his manual pal, including first and second gears. So Mr PDK will therefore be at the top of the Rev range more often. And that €™s really the main point of this car over something like a GTS, 570, 488 etc.
The first four gears are substantially similar between pdk and manual. Shifting frequency under 145 mph will be about the same. If you consider this too much work, you picked the wrong hobby
Old 11-10-2017, 09:37 AM
DIM4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
PDK for me...Manual is for girlie men who still equate rowing their own gears with some sort of major accomplishment reserved for the male species.
lol epic
Old 11-10-2017, 02:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Thanks to threads like this AND media,we still have a manual transmission in a GT Porsche and other Porsches, too.

FIFY, but you speak the truth and Porsche has admitted as much. Wish you could've been there at the table in Spain when CH, CG, and I told AP and the guys that, yes, we still missed the MT in the 991.1 GT3, sensational as it was with PDK. And it was looking pretty dark for the RWD C2 for a while, as well, with rumors of everything 911 going C4 PDK. People on the inside sounded crestfallen.

I like to think that conversation, and so many more with others and on forums, moved the needle—but believe me there were people inside who wanted what all of us do. They're still in three, fighting and scheming. So we've got a lot to be thankful for. The current base 991.2 is shockingly good, the Carrera T is a cool product, and the GT3 MT is, well, superlative. The GT4 and Spyder weren't exactly bad, either. Nor is the new GT2 RS…

But my point was: Arguing over which is "better" (PDK vs manual) never seems to end well in terms of RL threads.

Last edited by stout; 11-10-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Thanks to threads like this,amplified by mainstream media,we still have a manual transmission in a GT Porsche.

Where have you been hiding. You've been real quite lately
Old 11-10-2017, 04:43 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Where have you been hiding. You've been real quite lately
I just didn’t have much to say...
Hope all is well and HUGE CONGRATS for your incoming GT3!!!! With a manual of course!
Enjoy!
Old 11-10-2017, 05:18 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Manual, because it's the right car for you.

You clearly can handle the minor hassles and conveniences that accompany owning cool cars in tough places, so for you it seems to make sense.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:00 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

PDK
You would be surprised how engaging it can be when you get aggressive .. Plus it is brute strong.
Elliot
Old 11-10-2017, 08:36 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I was over on another forum and noticed that another iconic manual is gone. No more 4 cylinder manual Tacoma. Toyota made a four cylinder manual pickups forever. Now gone. Still can get a 6MT with the 6 cylinder. Anyway, get what you want, but next time you may not get a choice (like the turbo, the 991.1 GT3, the GT2, the GT3RS, and probably the GT3RS 991.2).
Old 11-13-2017, 04:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default the track time difference

a nice little article from Road & Track showing theoretical track time lost with manual shifts, and logic behind having "the fastest car on track" vs just buying a car you can enjoy the driving experience.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...nual-on-track/
Old 11-13-2017, 05:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Good one!
Old 11-13-2017, 05:06 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
a nice little article from Road & Track showing theoretical track time lost with manual shifts, and logic behind having "the fastest car on track" vs just buying a car you can enjoy the driving experience.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...nual-on-track/
Yea I really like the PDK in my RS, but that's what it's for, track times. Big *** rear wing, and gaudy front fender gills that spit gravel all give it that solid feel on the track total control. But on the street it's just over the top. I'm really excited to have the manual and the touring pack with less downforce. Less stable and more fun. Will it be slower? Abolutely but hoping it's got a more old school Porsche feel.... The more these cars approach racing car dynamics the more I want a dedicated racecar for the track and a modern version of the 964RS on the street
Old 11-13-2017, 06:29 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me - people successful enough in life to be able to afford a Porsche are still insecure enough to need the validation of others and are unable to select the options on their own.

Get what you want. Not what some clown at a computer in his mothers' basement across the country suggests!

Either that or flip a coin. A 1961 Franklin half of course - all other coins are wrong.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:28 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
It never ceases to amaze me - people successful enough in life to be able to afford a Porsche are still insecure enough to need the validation of others and are unable to select the options on their own.

Get what you want. Not what some clown at a computer in his mothers' basement across the country suggests!

Either that or flip a coin. A 1961 Franklin half of course - all other coins are wrong.

Hi fellow physician!
Not sure if that was aimed at me as the OP but I don't see it as that. I see it as asking people with much more experience with the brand and type of cars their opinion so I can weight it against mine and what I know!

Believe me, my spec doesn't have a lot of what people insist are necessary, like PCCB, buckets etc.

Either way this thread made for great reading for me!

Quick Reply: Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2