Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 01:20 AM
dog bucks
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hams955
Who cares. Just be thankful that Porsche offered you both choices. Those of us who are fortunate enough in life to actually afford one of these machines is a rare thing today. As such, I feel blessed that I have the opportunity to own one.

Thank goodness they don't offer it in only one color...

They are choices; celebrate that, don't debate it.

- Chris.
Bless that!!
Old 11-17-2017, 01:22 AM
dog bucks
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

[QUOTE=mooty;14609878]buy two
no dilemma[/QUO

Last edited by dog bucks; 11-17-2017 at 12:39 PM. Reason: broke
Old 11-17-2017, 06:42 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
? As for the lap time, learning to time apex, better braking control thing. i am guessing most PDK owners always stay in automatic? It seems running the car in full automatic is the faster way around the track? Letting the car do all the work.
I drove a pdk in 2014 and the instructor (pro race car driver) explained that the car was much faster if you just let it do all the shifting and not touch the paddles. Does this sound correct?

I chose a manual, but did think it could be a good idea to be able to have my wife drive the car if needed, or needed to move it out of the garage for some reason. other than that, I guess eliminating the paddles would be the fastest set up for lap times?
Last time I did a track day with instruction the guy had me in manual mode. 90% of the time was in 2nd or 3rd. He said it was better to understand what was going on. E.g. this is a second gear corner. Brake in a straight line, into 2nd, aim for the apex, post apex floor it and let the car drift out to the edge etc. I’m a beginner so this isn’t nuanced. The idea is to have a set formula for each corner so you can gradually improve it each time. Using manual doesn’t make that much harder in my opinion.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:22 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
The benefit of this thread is that some don €™t actually know what they love. They are torn. They love the PDK transmission but also remember rowing gears in a past car and love that too.

IMO this thread will Help solidify what they love.
I disagree.

This majority of this thread is filled with pontificating MT circle-jerks.

If anything, for someone who is genuinely confused about which transmission is better for them, this thread will only confuse and obfuscate, if not completely derail the decision.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ LOL, tell us what u really feel. but i agree with you.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:05 AM
cajerseyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I disagree.

If anything, for someone who is genuinely confused about which transmission is better for them, this thread will only confuse and obfuscate, if not completely derail the decision.
Thanks for the laugh. You must be part of the PDK circle jerk crew. A more sophisticated dual clutch, automatic kind of CJ. Let’s hope the decision gets derailed all the way to a non decision releasing hundreds of allocations to those waiting patiently.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:12 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

I will say that whenever someone posts photos of their incoming .2 GT3s and they are manuals, many comment, "Wow, manual for the win", "Cool a M/T", "Love the manual", "Wow, a stickshift!", etc.

No one will EVER comment, "Nice! PDK for the win", "Cool..PDK!", etc.

....even though the take rate for manual vs. PDK is near 50/50.....it's because there is still something special about the manual car.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:59 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I disagree.

Captain Obvious says, "Try both before you decide."

Anyone using a forum on the internet as their source to decide MT vs PDK is already foolish.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:27 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

I know what I'm about to write may be a bit controversial but it's based on my brief experience of driving a manual .2 GT3 which I got a few days ago.

IMO, it's best to think of PDK or Manual cars as two entirely different cars. It not about which is better, just which experience meets your needs. Yes, the lightening quick shifts that result from PDK cannot be matched by the average driver (me being one of them), but for that there is a trade-off by way of a significant reduction in visceral feel. For me it was something I had forgotten about. Upon driving the manual, I instantly realized that over the 4 odd years of PDK GT car driving (GT3/GT3RS), some of my driving senses got dulled and effortlessly pulling paddles became the norm. Rowing gears faded away into the realms of analogue and engineering nostalgia. Into that chasm also went some of the driving skills that had been honed over the years. Experiencing this manual car has brought back not only the physical connection with a car but a new found appreciation and desire to regain lost or forgotten skills. It's a reconnect that I didn't know would be there and nor did I expect it. What a pleasant surprise!

I love the extra analogue layer that the manual box adds as it REALLY changes the drive entirely. For my purposes, it changes it for the better!
Dare I say it, it’s more fun than my RS was!!!!! It's just more engaging and has me connect with bits of my senses which had either got dull or forgotten altogether. The engine and sound from the get go is entirely different and just glorious.

Until recently I had been questioning my decision of selling the RS. Now, ZERO regrets! I'm a happy camper.

It really is about how you want to connect with the car.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:06 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

M...great comments concerning your new gorgeous Carmine Red GT3. Everyone has different wants/needs. Thankfully Porsche has allowed us to tailor our cars to these needs...assuming you can get one! No wrong answer here.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
M...great comments concerning your new gorgeous Carmine Red GT3. Everyone has different wants/needs. Thankfully Porsche has allowed us to tailor our cars to these needs...assuming you can get one! No wrong answer here.
You are absolutely right. I'm just glad we have choices. I should have also mentioned that for me the ideal would be a PDK RS and a manual GT3!

BTW, I know of someone who will be getting his Carmine soon
Old 11-19-2017, 09:55 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

My last car was a 991.1 C4S with a PDK. I loved it and was really on the fence about whether to go manual or PDK in the GT3.

But now that I’ve taken delivery of my manual .2GT3, all I will say is you are crazy if you don’t go manual. It’s that good and completely suits the rawness of the car.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
I know what I'm about to write may be a bit controversial but it's based on my brief experience of driving a manual .2 GT3 which I got a few days ago.

IMO, it's best to think of PDK or Manual cars as two entirely different cars. It not about which is better, just which experience meets your needs. Yes, the lightening quick shifts that result from PDK cannot be matched by the average driver (me being one of them), but for that there is a trade-off by way of a significant reduction in visceral feel. For me it was something I had forgotten about. Upon driving the manual, I instantly realized that over the 4 odd years of PDK GT car driving (GT3/GT3RS), some of my driving senses got dulled and effortlessly pulling paddles became the norm. Rowing gears faded away into the realms of analogue and engineering nostalgia. Into that chasm also went some of the driving skills that had been honed over the years. Experiencing this manual car has brought back not only the physical connection with a car but a new found appreciation and desire to regain lost or forgotten skills. It's a reconnect that I didn't know would be there and nor did I expect it. What a pleasant surprise!

I love the extra analogue layer that the manual box adds as it REALLY changes the drive entirely. For my purposes, it changes it for the better!
Dare I say it, it’s more fun than my RS was!!!!! It's just more engaging and has me connect with bits of my senses which had either got dull or forgotten altogether. The engine and sound from the get go is entirely different and just glorious.

Until recently I had been questioning my decision of selling the RS. Now, ZERO regrets! I'm a happy camper.

I appreciate your perspective and observations. I don't feel your comments are controversial in the least. Again, my feelings are centered around the elation that Porsche is offering its customers the choice between the two. And as you stated very well, it is about connection. I can see how the PDK makes sense for a particular subset of drivers and how the manual makes sense for another. In that regard, it means that the argument one versus another really is an internal one; you have to decide what is right for YOU. It does not mean one is better than another.

Your observations have been the first that has made me really contemplate whether PDK was the right choice for me. I appreciate that you were able to do that.

Thanks again,

Chris.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:21 AM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 119 Posts

(Copied and pasted from another thread as this one seems more appropriate)

Does anybody going back to a manual from a pdk .1gt3 miss the fact that you can spend so much of your time so much easier in the higher rev ranges and shift so much more freely between the gears at higher RPM? Or do you just not need to do that anymore because of the added torque of the .2? I definitely miss heel toe’ng in a manual and if I could have both a pdk and a manual I would, but I really can’t justify having 3 cars and I don’t enjoy daily’ing a GT3.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:51 PM
oslermarine
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku

Well said! When I switch between driving my manual car vs my wife's PDK the quality of experience is huge.

Quick Reply: Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2