Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS

Old 08-26-2018, 10:57 AM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch2018

Decisions that need to be made before you do the PPF are will you have the installer remove the decals on the sides which also has a clear film attached to it on the side under the air-inlet ducts or remove it and apply the film and then purchase new decals and place them on top of the film. I wrestled with that decision but decided to have them PPF right over the decals and I am pleased with the results. There is a slight "halo" around the decals but it is barley noticeable and since I intended to put a sacrificial layer below the inlet I have some added protection and I can accept the slight almost imperceptible "halo". The installer wanted to remove all decals then film and then re-apply the decals.........now my decals are protected as well especially on the sides.
The factory clear protection on the rear fenders is under the matte RS side decal. Laying ppf over this stack gives several halo lines, one of which outlines the original clear fender protection.

Covering the decals is certainly a personal preference. Something to consider is matte side decals go with the matte rear GT3RS model decal, wing end plates, lower mirrors, side intakes, side splitters, NACA ducts, front fender exhaust vents, and front splitters and grill work. Putting ppf over the decals makes them glossy. I chose to bite the bullet and remove the factory side and rear decals and factory clear protectors from the front face of the rear fenders, fully wrap the car and reapply OEM decals.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:07 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts

I am so glad I changed to gold wheels and ceramic brakes on my LG build, they look awesome! Please post some interior shots as I would like to see how the deviated stitchin looks on the 18 ways
Old 08-26-2018, 02:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

+1 and I may take it further / too far..

Old 08-26-2018, 03:57 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jvmax
I am so glad I changed to gold wheels and ceramic brakes on my LG build, they look awesome! Please post some interior shots as I would like to see how the deviated stitchin looks on the 18 ways
Here are some interior shots as requested; enjoy! I love the 18 way seats and the interior looks so well done. My initial hope was I could do the green center fabric as a CXX but that request was shot down. I am glad now between the green stitching, green door pulls and the LG seat belts that is more than enough green and color contrast. As you can see I specced both the white instrument dials and the aluminum pedals which both lighten up the interior and look great. I am waiting on the LED side marker lights which are on back order plus the carry bin for the frunk, and custom LG floor matts from Porsche…….

I drove the car over 350 miles in 2.5 days on the Texas back roads with allot of straight shots plus winding roads and the car is incredible. The PCCBs haven’t produced any squeak/squeal which is a concern I often hear expressed but that may develop as the disks/rotors get dirty. When I was on those winding roads and traveling pretty fast never needed to use the brakes that car with that massive wing does all the heavy lifting. I know there are people waiting on their cars but it’s worth the wait……driving the 3RS is addictive. Last go around, with my 718 CS, I had put 2K miles on it in about a month and a half and I bet I beat that record with this car. Just filled the car up with gas with about 312 miles and it was $51.14 @ $2.84 gal. Fuel economy aside this is a very comfortable car and not much different from my 2018 718 CS which had 19 inch tires and it was not specced with PASM or PTV. The reaction I get, out and about, is overwhelmingly positive I had one couple driving in a truck trying to keep up with me traveling close to 100mph so they could take pictures. They followed for over 5 miles snapping pictures while I was driving then kept up with me so they could take pictures when I came to a stop. What did Henry say from Carfection “I feel like a rock star”.

PS: I am not selling this car it's most assuredly a keeper!!!

Last edited by Porsch2018; 08-26-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:07 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Waxer;15244125]
Very sharp! Thanks for posting!!!
love the Arum wheels with it too!
Thanks I am more than pleased with the color coordination. I have never been a fan of black wheels and the Aurum wheels are one of the signatures of the 991.2 GT3-RS

Originally Posted by mongoose88
Congrats on your car and thanks for posting about the PPF and break in - very helpful.

i am also curious if your PPF guy said anything about what happens later to decals when PPF film needs to be removed? Will it come off cleanly and leave decals in place if you don’t wait too long to redo th PPF? If so how long do you think? Some threads I’ve read seem to suggest redoing PPF every 5 years or so.
Does anyone have experience with this with older cars with PPF and decals underneath?
The PPF I selected was Suntek Ultra which has a 10 year warranty so I bet that it should last at least that long. I am not sure if I was to remove the PPF the decals would come off but I bet they would. Then again the alternative is to remove them from the get-go which puts you back in the position of having to replace the decals anyway. Having said that, I would cover the decals over again if I had the opportunity to choose.

Originally Posted by reidry
The factory clear protection on the rear fenders is under the matte RS side decal. Laying ppf over this stack gives several halo lines, one of which outlines the original clear fender protection.

Covering the decals is certainly a personal preference. Something to consider is matte side decals go with the matte rear GT3RS model decal, wing end plates, lower mirrors, side intakes, side splitters, NACA ducts, front fender exhaust vents, and front splitters and grill work. Putting ppf over the decals makes them glossy. I chose to bite the bullet and remove the factory side and rear decals and factory clear protectors from the front face of the rear fenders, fully wrap the car and reapply OEM decals.

I know what your saying and completely understand but the results I obtained are quite impressive, and as I have stated above, I would do it again in a heart beat. Although, I don't have OCD I am very meticulous and it met and exceeded my standard. In addition, although this is weak support all the Porsche dealerships I spoke with said to cover over the decals......YMMV.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:31 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 130 Posts

Beautiful 3 week old RS at Road America this morning.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
David_h
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lizard green!
Old 08-26-2018, 08:35 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Interesting, some changes to the break-in recommendations in the GT owners manual, see attached jpg........"Avoid high engine speeds of 4000 rpms or more (GT2-RS), or 7000 rpms or more in (911 GT3-RS, 911 GT3). Drive at low engine speeds when the engine is cold"/1000 mile break-in for GT3-RS, GT3.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:18 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,583 Likes on 732 Posts

Break in seems reasonable.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:10 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Any wheel cleaners that anyone can recommend for cars equipped with PCCBs that is a little more aggressive than detergent soap for road tar and alike? I was using Meguiar's acid wheel brightener on the standard brakes but not possible now. Trust me you will need something a little more aggressive than detergent soap.

Last edited by Porsch2018; 08-28-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:37 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/porsche-911-gt3-rs-2018-review-114228/

Old 08-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 293 Likes on 168 Posts

Interesting, some changes to the break-in recommendations in the GT owners manual, see attached jpg........"Avoid high engine speeds of 4000 rpms or more (GT2-RS), or 7000 rpms or more in (911 GT3-RS, 911 GT3). Drive at low engine speeds when the engine is cold"/1000 mile break-in for GT3-RS, GT3.
DAMMIT!!

I wasted 1500 km puttering around under 4k RPM when I could have run up to 7k and had way more fun for half the km's!

Ah well... what's done is done. The process seems to have worked. I've flogged my car pretty good at the track and she's taken it like a champ and isn't even burning oil. Good car...
Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 AM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

I really think Yellow looks best on the 991.2 GT3 & GT3RS.

(No bias)
Old 08-27-2018, 03:35 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, break-in looks absolutely reasonable!
Old 08-27-2018, 03:45 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

Any wheel cleaners that anyone can recommend for cars equipped with PCCBs that is a little more aggressive than detergent soap for road tar and alike? I was using Meguiar's acid wheel brightener on the standard brakes brakes but not possible now. Trust me you will need something a little more aggressive than detergent soap.
Not sure about any wheel cleaners that are better than others but you might want to look into ceramic coating your wheels, it really helps with anything bonding to the wheel and makes life so measier when cleaning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS