Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:43 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch2018
Went to the dealership to see if we should option the Full Bucket seats and they are so incredibly uncomfortable that I am sticking with the 18-way seats. My wife and I don't come with allot of padding, that is, we are slim and those seats kicked our butts. Long live sofas! Though, wanted that Lizard green color fabric found in the center of the Full Bucket seats so my SA is seeing if we can have that custom ordered.

Order whatever seat feels best for you. It's your car, your bottom, your back on the seat.

The holding power of the bucket seat vs sofa seat is over rated, the only advantage of a bucket seat is that one can use 6 point harness with it and that's the big difference in keeping one tight in the seat.

I have tracked extensively in my 918, which only comes with the buckets. I also have 6 point installed in it. I did do back to back testing with 3 point and 6 point. I am still moving around quite a bit using only the 3 point seatbelts within the bucket, but I am very secured when I strap on the 6 point.

Those bucket seats are NOT comfortable despite whatever people says. I did a 2600 miles road trip in the 918. After the trip I didn't touch the 918 for a whole month.

I also did a 1500 miles road trip Euro delivery with my 911R with LWB. The seats were already better than the 918 as they are more reclined. But still I don't want to do another if I have a choice. Actually wished I had ordered sofa seats on the 911R just so I can drive it more.

I have Recaro race bucket in my race car, and that race seat is infinitely more comfortable than the Porsche LWB, and more secured too even before buckling the 6 point. Night and day difference.

Will be doing Euro delivery of my Turbo S Exclusive in 3 weeks, that one has sofa and I am so looking forward to doing road trips in it, I can see myself putting on at least 2000 miles in Europe before bringing it back.

The only down side to not ordering LWB for your car is re-sale. Everyone expects a GT car to have bucket, sofa seats will not command much in the 2nd hand market. Look no farther than the 997 GT2RS market, there are a few that was ordered with sofa seats and those are the one sitting on lots and asking a lot less than the ones with buckets.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:45 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by n3rd

The real LWB
Can you get bolster protectors for those?
Old 04-25-2018, 12:54 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

GT cars are not designed for extended road trips. The purpose of the RS is for spirited driving and not vacation travels. I suspect we all own cars better suited for road vacations.

I agree that LWB will never be as comfortable as sofas and that on resale a RS car with sofas is tantamount to have a skunk living in it.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:22 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman
Can you get bolster protectors for those?

Silly question, the most important question is do these chairs come in Lizard Green and then do the make bolster protectors is clearly, a secondary issue. Gentlemen, we need to keep our priorities straight.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:27 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
We're talking height-wise, right? As in, I'm super tall so I need to RAISE the headrest? We're not talking minimum distance, as in the distance from the back of your head to the headrest.
Yes DOT wants a limited distance between the human head and the headrest, if the LWB recline more, that distance is too far, for DOT. That is why the LWB come at such an upright angle from OEM. Once you get the car do want you like, I have the Autoquest adjuster and it looks just like OEM yet only slightly increases the angle giving a huge improvement on comfort. Long road trips no problem, still hard to get in and out of them but very comfortable and even my passengers who are fickle like the seats now.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:29 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
The only down side to not ordering LWB for your car is re-sale. Everyone expects a GT car to have bucket, sofa seats will not command much in the 2nd hand market. Look no farther than the 997 GT2RS market, there are a few that was ordered with sofa seats and those are the one sitting on lots and asking a lot less than the ones with buckets.
That is a very good point, and although resale is not my primary concern now down the road it could be. I will go and test the LWB under driving conditions today see if I can make them work. Funny with the LWB seats I have a feeling you don't break them in.....rather they break you in.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:21 PM
b46
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing wrong with ordering buckets and swapping it for sofas and back again when it's time to sell.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:46 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Honestly just order what *you* like. Please do not spec the car based on what the majority of RL pick/say. Sure I, like others, encourage you to take the LWB for a drive rather than just 30 sec butt test sitting in showroom, but the folly is in spec'ing the car to what RL wants rather than what you want.... You don't want to have your order lock and then have a sinking feeling you made a mistake, but instead just be counting down the days to delivery.

I noticed one of PNH GT2RS customers spec'd the car with sofas, and that is the holy GT2RS with WP (I wouldn't have spec'd it that way but it's not my business to judge or spec his car for him). My GT3 along with others came with sofas. Yes the LWBS are cooler, make the car feel more special and you feel more connected to the car, but don't hang your head down or think twice about having to come back to RL and say you prefer the sofas if that's the case, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Whoopsy made great points about the LWBS as he obviously has extensive experience with them.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:48 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Sofas are more fitting for the touring and buckets for the GT3 and RS. But you have to get what works for you.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:49 PM
whatif
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT Silver looks sick. This was my exact GT3 spec, but looks a lot more aggressive on the RS.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:02 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

For those of us with lower back issues, I've found simple inflatable air bladders like the one below are very helpful in improving the comfort of the LWBs. The vertical seat cushion is just attached with velcro and it's really easy to place the bladder between that seat cushion and the CF seat back. The tubing threads through the opening on the side of the seat and the bulb just rests alongside the door side of the seat. At full inflation the seat cushion looks a little awkward but comfort wise it's been great. I've got a bad lower back and now have 6K miles in my LWB's and have not had back pain.

https://www.mechanicsurplus.com/prod...iABEgKNHfD_BwE
Old 04-25-2018, 03:26 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Wow, 5+ pages of passionate argument about buckets vs sofas?
Old 04-25-2018, 03:28 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Porsche attracts a passionate crowd......
Old 04-25-2018, 03:29 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Wow, 5+ pages of passionate argument about buckets vs sofas?
You were expecting quantum physics in a car forum?
Old 04-25-2018, 04:58 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Another good thread derailed by an argument about seats...

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS