Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What novel sportscar concept would you spend $350-$400k on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 06:22 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Zonda 760 Roadster Manual Gearbox.
everyone go home. thread closed.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by CAlexio; 11-08-2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by nuvolari612
Zonda 760 Roadster Manual Gearbox.
Now that’s funny, I’m sitting next to someone who is smiling broadly reading this
Old 11-08-2017, 08:57 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

A proper race car that can be street-registerable with included street conversion bits/parts. The race car is made eligible to race in various endurance races like Nurburgring, Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring, Spa. To show credibility, factory/manufacturer should include subsidized race support to customers who purchased and are racing their cars at such endurance races.

Spec ideally would be: sub-2000 lb, CF tub, mid-engine, normally aspirated like a high revving flat 6/V8/V10/V12. Hybrid electrics not preferred but also not a deal killer if it helps car’s race competitiveness/relevance.

Ideally, an existing brand which has credible, consistent history in Motorsports participation i.e. Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

I’ve got a BAC mono on my list (already checked the early 911 box). However I’d be willing to trade up to a modern version of this if it were available. Key for me would be safety. If I’m buying an almost dedicated track car I’d be buying it to crash in. Something that looks and works like this, road legal, but with internal F1 style carbon crash structure.

1100 lbs and near 400 hp in original form.

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...king-ring-9083

It’s a stretch, but if you keep parts of a Porsche engine and chassis in there somewhere and you could even take it PCA events.

Not interested in a hyper aero car or “winning” track days. It’s all about the driving experience.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:56 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

I’m trying not to influence answers by answering or injecting my impression, but **** Pete.. if Iï¸t were up to me.. you’ve nailed Iï¸t.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Mosler tried this too....
Old 11-08-2017, 09:59 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by 008
Mosler tried this too....
Yep.. and I’m speaking to Warren also.. such a friggin smart dude by the way.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yep.. and I’m speaking to Warren also.. such a friggin smart dude by the way.
Yep. I got serious about one back in the day. They were just slightly off in fit and finish and the designs were never quite cohesive imo. A new stab at it today may make sense with a less kit car design.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:53 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

A Ferrari 458, with the V12 from the Superfast.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:21 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Dear GT3/RS/GT2 forum friends, today I was asked a serious question, from a contact who is researching different segments of the sports car market before embarking on a new project. This contact is highly experienced, with participation in many previous vehicles to their credit.

They are trying to understand and target a group of car-lovers who generally fit into the following market criteria:

-A gearhead who has considered, or has already attended track days with their car... (not the starbucks/miami beach poser who wants to glitter while they glide past at 20mph.)
-Someone who has spent $200k on a car like the GT3.. but would consider stretching to $300 or even $400k for something which truly plucked at their fantasy strings. Even if this meant selling a few cars to stretch for this.. what car would make you say "it's worth it to me to really stretch my budget for something so awesome that did x & y"

The question is.. what sports car concept would truly tug at those fantasy strings?

For full disclosure, I'm asking because I'm doing some market research for this entity. I'm only saying this to let you know that every post on here will be read carefully, and every word considered and appreciated. In other words, as you'd be the target market, what you say, matters.

Lastly, i will put forth a few really basic ideas to stimulate the creative juices.
-Think of a segment which is underserved-what makes you think "I would actually buy something which had ________certain qualities."
-Consider cars like the BACMono, or the Ultima GTR for inspiration.. what would you have done differently with those?
-What what you give up in your GT3, in exchange for more in another area.
-Would you give away comfort for more aero?
-Would you care to lose the passenger seat in exchange for central driving position?
-Would you want a roof to drive it on roads, or would you not care and want to wear a helmet?
-What kind of engine would make you excited to buy such a car?

This is early research.. go nuts, but think critically. With as saturated a sports car market as there is today.. there are always segments available for companies willing to take risks and make something really unique. This group has the resources and the experience to do something truly cool. Let me know what that product looks like to you.

Thank you by the way, truly.. I always appreciate this group of people (until we meet in person haha).
The sports car concept that will truly tug at My fantasy strings would be

1) It has to be classic Porsche 911 Experience with some modern luxuries attached.

2) Singer Porsche 911 hits it perfectly

3) Even a Porsche 911 (993 works awesome here) experience with some modern amenities would be great.

I would actually buy something which has an Old School Porsche (and Ferrari) vibe with certain qualities like bluetooth, Apple CarPlay, Comfort mode in City driving (I do not see the point of 19inch+ tires when my city roads are filled with tons and tons of potholes).

The car has to be considered to be a Daily Driver. No point buying a 350-400K car when I can't drive it regularly. I hate garage queen cars.

The look has to be old school vibe as not to attract unwanted idiotic attention from people. For example, if i am driving a 918 in the city, the cars gets attention from the good crowd and the bad crowd. It is quite annoying and sometimes I just feel unsafe. When feeling uncomfortable, the enjoyment of the car just goes away.

Manual gearbox is great but I am fine with a PDK transmission which allows me to drive manual by moving the stick up and down. In heavy traffic, I am worn out with manual and do relish an automatic at times.

Zero interest in central driving position. I like to have at-least 1 passenger with me when I drive long distances. It is fun to have some company. And need roof to drive on roads

Engine - NA is good but I am open to 918 style hybrid engine too. It is going to be electric world in about 15 years or so.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
A Ferrari 458, with the V12 from the Superfast.

Last edited by 008; 11-09-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:27 PM
MatthiasAK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by -eztrader-
Or a customizable Singer - with loads of choices to make. I wouldn't mind owning a 993 gt2 look a like with a top quality build.
Check out the new Gunther 400R if you haven't already. Started by the founder of Vorsteiner. Curious to see how this thing sells.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:39 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I’ve got a BAC mono on my list (already checked the early 911 box). However I’d be willing to trade up to a modern version of this if it were available. Key for me would be safety. If I’m buying an almost dedicated track car I’d be buying it to crash in. Something that looks and works like this, road legal, but with internal F1 style carbon crash structure.

1100 lbs and near 400 hp in original form.

It’s a stretch, but if you keep parts of a Porsche engine and chassis in there somewhere and you could even take it PCA events.

Not interested in a hyper aero car or “winning” track days. It’s all about the driving experience.
Carbon monocoque apart, there basically is a car you're looking for, a Lotus 3-11 I'd have thought?
Old 11-11-2017, 06:25 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

This sounds retarded, but a 458 with an 812 (or even a f12) v12 (and maybe an f40 gearbox (with housing modded to fit)).

Quick Reply: What novel sportscar concept would you spend $350-$400k on?