Sponsored by:

LEAST intrusive rear rollcage recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 02:09 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts
Default LEAST intrusive rear rollcage recommendation

I’m looking for the least intrusive rear rollcage, something which could offer some rollover protection, a place to attach restraints, but minimal blockage of access to the space behind the rear seats... ideally something which goes around the perimeter, but doesn’t creat an “X” right in the middle. I️ realize this could comport some reduced strength vs the highly braced clubsport package cage. Thanks for any info.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:02 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went w gmg rsr for that very reason

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-roll-bar.html

Last edited by Ddesimone17; 11-05-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:02 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I m looking for the least intrusive rear rollcage, something which could offer some rollover protection, a place to attach restraints, but minimal blockage of access to the space behind the rear seats... ideally something which goes around the perimeter, but doesn t creat an X right in the middle. I️ realize this could comport some reduced strength vs the highly braced clubsport package cage. Thanks for any info.
Of all the off-the-shelf ones available, I like the BBi alt design that has a single rear cross bar with eyelet bolts. It has less cross tubes while retaining the nice curves upper bar that tracks the headliner nicely.

That being said, Im on the fence about going that route vs just having a custom harness mount made (I have a design in kind). The custom mount would just give you a place to attach harnesses in the back and would not provide any supplemental roll-over protection, but in exchange the interior would be wide open without a jungle gym back there.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:59 PM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The GMG RSR Harness bar is what you want
Old 11-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GT3 Jockey
The GMG RSR Harness bar is what you want
I wouldnt run a bar like that that bolts to the seat belt anchors for roll-over protection. Why have all those bars cross-crossing the interior if theyre not strongly attached to the vehicle structure?
Old 11-05-2017, 04:59 PM
gp1
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Any options that don't require cutting the carpet trim?
Old 11-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RSR is least amount of cutting only rear deck carpet priced it $430 to replace w new
Old 11-05-2017, 08:50 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

RUF RGT.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
RUF RGT.
Have a link? Can't find anything about a bar under RUF RGT.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:55 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

the RGT starts life as a 911 body-in-white, it's built from that point on with mostly Ruf-built (or Ruf-specific) components, starting with its integrated rollcage.

http://ruf-automobile.de/en/manufacturing/historie/

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8
Old 11-05-2017, 10:23 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
the RGT starts life as a 911 body-in-white, it's built from that point on with mostly Ruf-built (or Ruf-specific) components, starting with its integrated rollcage.

http://ruf-automobile.de/en/manufacturing/historie/

Ah. Doesn't sound bolt-in on a GT3...
Old 11-05-2017, 10:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,771 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I’m looking for the least intrusive rear rollcage, something which could offer some rollover protection, a place to attach restraints, but minimal blockage of access to the space behind the rear seats... ideally something which goes around the perimeter, but doesn’t creat an “X” right in the middle. I️ realize this could comport some reduced strength vs the highly braced clubsport package cage. Thanks for any info.
Might want to look at having someone fabricate a design for you. Not all that difficult, nor that much more expensive.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:34 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I wouldn’t run a bar like that that bolts to the seat belt anchors for roll-over protection. Why have all those bars cross-crossing the interior if they’re not strongly attached to the vehicle structure?
The part with cross-bars is attached to the rear towers. The front part attached to seat bolts has no cross-bars, so it preserves 100% of cargo space and rear seat movement. For minimal intrusiveness GMG RSR is perfect - there is basically no sacrifice.

I do not think this bar would add much if any rollover protection, maybe if the impact is from a specific angle, but even that seems far-fetched. But on the other hand, all aftermarket cases look like straws compared to B-pillars in 991, and even less sturdy cars (e.g., merc C-class) can hold 7 weights on the car concentrated mostly on one side around B-pillar before the roof shell collapsing more than 2 inches (http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...s-4-door-sedan). That's an unlikely worst-case scenario test. More realistically, the impact would be spread more, so well over 10Gs should not cause a fatal roof collapse. Coincidentally, 10G-12Gs is where serious damage starts from upside-down deceleration (or downward acceleration). The human body is very poorly suited for upside-down deceleration and just 2-3gs for a couple of seconds would cause red-out, and 12Gs for 0.1s is considered the maximum tolerance limit. So my point is that in modern cars the window for a crash strong enough to collapse the roof but still be survivable otherwise is very narrow.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Might want to look at having someone fabricate a design for you. Not all that difficult, nor that much more expensive.
I'm leaning towards something like this:

This bar is made by a place called Autohaus Hamilton in Australia, but they don't export. It's basically just a bar with end plates that bolt to the same structure in the back as most all harness bars.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:39 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
The part with cross-bars is attached to the rear towers. The front part attached to seat bolts has no cross-bars, so it preserves 100% of cargo space and rear seat movement. For minimal intrusiveness GMG RSR is perfect - there is basically no sacrifice.

I do not think this bar would add much if any rollover protection, maybe if the impact is from a specific angle, but even that seems far-fetched. But on the other hand, all aftermarket cases look like straws compared to B-pillars in 991, and even less sturdy cars (e.g., merc C-class) can hold 7 weights on the car concentrated mostly on one side around B-pillar before the roof shell collapsing more than 2 inches (http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...s-4-door-sedan). That's an unlikely worst-case scenario test. More realistically, the impact would be spread more, so well over 10Gs should not cause a fatal roof collapse. Coincidentally, 10G-12Gs is where serious damage starts from upside-down deceleration (or downward acceleration). The human body is very poorly suited for upside-down deceleration and just 2-3gs for a couple of seconds would cause red-out, and 12Gs for 0.1s is considered the maximum tolerance limit. So my point is that in modern cars the window for a crash strong enough to collapse the roof but still be survivable otherwise is very narrow.
Thanks, I'm with you on all of this. This is why I'm leaning towards harness bar-only route with minimum interior impact.

Quick Reply: LEAST intrusive rear rollcage recommendation