Sponsored by:

new Cup will be Turbo? on GT2RS base?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 06:36 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 718 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Am I the only guy who loved watching the 993 GT2s on track?
You're not the only one. I once had the pleasure of trying out a 993 GT2 Evo (and Interscope 935) at Mosport which were pretty amazing experiences.

The sound of the 991 GT2 RS is reminiscent of those cars which is part of the reason I want one.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:20 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,097 Likes on 2,343 Posts

A part of me will be happy to have the next GT cars go all turbo and/or hybrid so I can stop buying new GT cars. haha
Old 10-30-2017, 08:02 PM
naptownmike
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw those 993 gt2 cars race at the Daytona 24 in the late 90's they were very cool. You could see the turbos glowing red at night.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:23 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
A part of me will be happy to have the next GT cars go all turbo and/or hybrid so I can stop buying new GT cars. haha
Ha. Well played.

Turbocharged GT-class racing 911s, on the other hand, are very cool. 2.1 turbo RSR, 934, 935, 964 GT, 993 GT2...yum.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:58 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't this just be a GTE / GT2 class car?
Old 10-30-2017, 11:44 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
don't expect Cup to go turbo anytime soon. unnecessary cost and complexity in spec series that Porsche controls.

could be new GT4 contender where Cayman has not been getting the job done.
I think the RSR and/or GT3 R would go turbo before the Cup for the reasons you stated

Originally Posted by Mvez
That is not GT3 aero, it's Cup aero. it might be a GT3R engine/drivetrain test mule, but that is still years away. IMSA has already confirmed that Porsche (along with other manufacturers) are using their one-time update to the currently homologated GT3R. This means it will feature the new fascia/aero as seen on the upcoming GT3RS, and all the other various updates of the new 2018 GT3R car package.. The GT3R is homologated off the RS, so we will see this "Evo" update kit for the current GT3R owners, along with the release of the .2RS for the 2018 racing season.

So Porsche GT3R is going to stay NA for the new few years as well, which is a good thing. That car is perfectly competitive in all GT3/GTD competition. Good teams/drivers campaigning them are what have been lacking.

Given that prices for top GT4 cars are now the same or more than 991.2 Cup cars, it wouldn't surprise me to see Porsche move to the 911 platform for GT4, and use the 718/GT4 for future TCR categories. However, the GT2RS base price is already crazy high, so it's not like they will charge LESS for the race car version of it.....I'm interested to see how they would price such a car, if it existed. 300K for a GT4 car seems kinda crazy given their current GT4 car costs $160K.

Whatever they do, they always find a way to make it work. I'm just glad they are still one of the very few offering NA street and race cars.
What about the lack of performance of the GT3 R at the Laguna 8 Hours? With Pat, Romain, and Jorg at the wheel?
Old 10-31-2017, 12:16 PM
mcipseric
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Get you and your turbo cars off my lawn!
Ha Ha Ha!!!
Old 11-01-2017, 12:21 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
What about the lack of performance of the GT3 R at the Laguna 8 Hours? With Pat, Romain, and Jorg at the wheel?
That was due to a freak fueling issue, where they literally couldn't get fuel in the car. Not from a lack of pace.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:24 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mvez
That was due to a freak fueling issue, where they literally couldn't get fuel in the car. Not from a lack of pace.
They weren't fast over a single lap either...
Old 11-02-2017, 11:11 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,385 Likes on 639 Posts

This car is a drivetrain test mule for the 2019 GT3R/ GTD car

Cup cars will remain NA as they are technically based off the GT3 street car. And since GT3 cup cars only race against GT3 cup cars...what is the point of completely changing them?

GT3/GTD class cars have less technical need to follow the street car, lots of waivers granted for cars as long as they can be homologated.

Gt4 class racing is officially F’d. The running costs would make you guys puke. The camaro is 260,000. McLaren 240, Audi R8 250.

IMSA really screwed up the BOP. Mustang has GT3 style aero kit for example. And mountain of torque. So, way easier to drive into corners and way easier to pass people when you just motorboat them on the straights.

Running GT4 for a championship level team is 1M or so PER CAR. FOR GT4! And now that INSA is switching to Michelin...the most expensive tire...lol
Old 11-02-2017, 02:27 PM
JonA85
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 11-02-2017, 02:28 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

Cup cars will remain NA as they are technically based off the GT3 street car. And since GT3 cup cars only race against GT3 cup cars...what is the point of completely changing them?

GT3/GTD class cars have less technical need to follow the street car, lots of waivers granted for cars as long as they can be homologated.

Gt4 class racing is officially F’d. The running costs would make you guys puke. The camaro is 260,000. McLaren 240, Audi R8 250.

IMSA really screwed up the BOP. Mustang has GT3 style aero kit for example. And mountain of torque. So, way easier to drive into corners and way easier to pass people when you just motorboat them on the straights.

Running GT4 for a championship level team is 1M or so PER CAR. FOR GT4! And now that INSA is switching to Michelin...the most expensive tire...lol
Do you think the escalation in GT4 pace / cost will push GT3 / GTD higher in terms of pace / cost?

I just don't see how IMSA can segment GTLM / GTD / GT4 so that each has appeal.

Since GT4 is so $$$, why not make the jump to GTD?

Can charge the pay driver more and actually compete in the main race / get some live TV time?
Old 11-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Thanks for insider info, C.J. I can’t believe the GT4c running costs! Looks like I will stick with just DE days and my GT3.

I may be in the minority here, but I think the GT3 street car will stay NA with a manual option forever, as AP wants that, Porsche has a unique market niche as the drivers car among high-end sports cars, and plenty of demand. Also think they will keep the touring option forever (during the GT3 production runs), to preserve those manual NA drivers car options in the Porsche lineup.

The RS I’m less certain about as its Porsche’s top dog street-legal race car. It’s the car I could see them doing a NA+hybrid or turbo engine switch in the future so it can stay in the same ballpark as Mclaren, Ferrari, and the new Lamborghini turbo/hybrids coming in the future. Also another reason the RS might stay PDK only is the need to mate with a hybrid/turbo engine.

Last edited by Drifting; 11-02-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:20 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,385 Likes on 639 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Thanks for insider info, C.J. I can’t believe the GT4c running costs! Looks like I will stick with just DE days and my GT3.

I may be in the minority here, but I think the GT3 street car will stay NA with a manual option forever, as AP wants that, Porsche has a unique market niche as the drivers car among high-end sports cars, and plenty of demand. Also think they will keep the touring option forever (during the GT3 production runs), to preserve those manual NA drivers car options in the Porsche lineup.

The RS I’m less certain about as its Porsche’s top dog street-legal race car. It’s the car I could see them doing a NA+hybrid or turbo engine switch in the future so it can stay in the same ballpark as Mclaren, Ferrari, and the new Lamborghini turbo/hybrids coming in the future. Also another reason the RS might stay PDK only is the need to mate with a hybrid/turbo engine.
Racing Coster different than running cost

7-10 crew, flights, hotels, meals, swag

It adds up when you have 10 races
Old 11-03-2017, 01:41 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Racing Coster different than running cost

7-10 crew, flights, hotels, meals, swag

It adds up when you have 10 races
You need 7-10 crew to support one race car?

Quick Reply: new Cup will be Turbo? on GT2RS base?