Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much performance is lost in the GT3T?

Old 11-01-2017, 12:51 AM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Nope. Most GT3 owners would have trouble keeping up with a well driven Miata on a public backroad.
At first I didn't agree, but I'm a long time autoxer and know how fast a Miata can be...so you may just be right...
Old 11-01-2017, 02:46 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
.....without the wing? Obviously on a track the wing will help and balance the whole package, but how about for street use? Do the lack of the air scoops under the wing mean less air at speed to the 'Touring' engine? I would think, as with the R that Porsche has tried to make the package as good as possible. Has anyone done an analysis or does Porsche have any comment on this? I wonder how much slower the GT3T would be around the Nurburgring.
I used to have a lap simulation program that could estimate the effect of downforce, weight, shift time, etc. That's the correct way to answer this question, and all pros (race teams and manufactures) will use one to get extremely close.

Unfortunately my licence ran out and it's pricey to renew, so I'll hazard an educated guess based on previous experience: ~6 seconds on the 'ring, roughly half from the manual shift and the other half from aero. There are a few fast sweepers that the regular GT3 will take flat where the T would need to lift, and those will account for nearly the entire time difference. That's assuming a pro driver. With an average driver both the GT3 and T would get slower, but the T more so.

On the street below 100 mph I'd expect virtually zero performance difference, manual vs pdk excluded. On some autocross courses I'd expect the T to match or even exceed a regular GT3/ PDK, though on average the PDK will be slightly (less than .2 seconds) ahead largely due to the shorter 2nd.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:10 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

The real question is will the new GT3 Cab in PDK be faster than the GT3 T around the Nurburgring? Will the structural rigidity offset the transmission advantage? 🎃
Old 11-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris88
At first I didn't agree, but I'm a long time autoxer and know how fast a Miata can be...so you may just be right...
Like Billy Davis driving his Miata.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:46 PM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I should imagine yes, and I recall AP stating that the ram air effect was good for some 10-20% of top end power???

I do not think that the ram air effect yields that much. Why: The German carmagazine "sportauto" has tested the .2 GT3. As a standard part of their "Supertest" they send the car to measure its performance on a dyno. The performance measure is static, so there is no wind, no drag and accordingly no ram effect. Nevertheless, the car delivered 500HP, as stated by Porsche.

Here is a link to the article, unfortunately without the test protocol:
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-12396530.html
Old 11-01-2017, 03:03 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 702 Posts

Originally Posted by spydersmiley
I do not think that the ram air effect yields that much. Why: The German carmagazine "sportauto" has tested the .2 GT3. As a standard part of their "Supertest" they send the car to measure its performance on a dyno. The performance measure is static, so there is no wind, no drag and accordingly no ram effect. Nevertheless, the car delivered 500HP, as stated by Porsche.

Here is a link to the article, unfortunately without the test protocol:
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-12396530.html
I took it as, in addition to the 500hp claimed by Porsche, the ram air increases hp once you are at high enough speeds. By how much HP, depends on your speed, but I assume it could push out 10-20 hp more, maybe more, so 510-520 HP at speed.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:10 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
I took it as, in addition to the 500hp claimed by Porsche, the ram air increases hp once you are at high enough speeds. By how much HP, depends on your speed, but I assume it could push out 10-20 hp more, maybe more, so 510-520 HP at speed.
I think that’s what the German GT guy from Porsche said to a British reviewer. Too lazy to search it but it was a red one and the channel was fairly popular.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:06 PM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Honestly if almost anyone on this forum would be able to tell the difference, or provide data showing difference in speed lap to lap on a regular length track...I'd be pretty surprised. If you're running at the top of class in PCA clubracing and or run in a series and are able to drive a 911 at a legitimate 10/10ths...maybe (so I guess there are a few of you guys), but honestly go with the one you like the aesthetic of if you're sold on manual.
well said
Old 11-03-2018, 04:52 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If your real name is Lewis Hamilton it will probably be noticeable on track. Otherwise i doubt you will notice any difference.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:24 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Nope. Most GT3 owners would have trouble keeping up with a well driven Miata on a public backroad.
so true! I was one of them. So bought a spec Miata. Great fun.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:26 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover

so true! I was one of them. So bought a spec Miata. Great fun.
Had one too.. that' show I learned how to drive on track
Old 11-03-2018, 08:48 PM
kinglenario
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
It will still be stiffer than your 981 yes. Not unusable by any means, but you're talking about hard mounts vs rubber in a few places and stiffer spring and shock rates.

I have driven a gt4 and own a gt3T. Stiffness wise I think they’re really close. For some reason, maybe the Alcantara the gt4 seems “racier”. The gt3T is MUCH faster.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:33 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglenario

I have driven a gt4 and own a gt3T. Stiffness wise I think they’re really close. For some reason, maybe the Alcantara the gt4 seems “racier”. The gt3T is MUCH faster.
I have Dundon Race headers on my GT3T. The car feels significantly faster vs stock. Just over 1000 miles on the car now. Already did an oil change. The Michelin tires do their job (most of the time), but cannot maintain traction during part of 1st gear and also when hooking into 2nd gear (slight wheel spin into 2nd gear). The car is surprisingly fast with these headers if driven properly. Sounds too damn good. Very hard to drive in a civilized manner because it makes you wanna go full throttle everywhere. I’ll be doing a dyno next week just for fun. Now I gotta see where I can find a good tire deal. Gonna start buying 3-5 sets at a time...
Old 11-03-2018, 10:46 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 223 Posts

I just tracked my touring this week and I can tell you the lack of a rear wing is noticeable. The downforce is much less, I think it makes it fun for road driving but at the track I missed the wing for sure.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:54 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3
I have Dundon Race headers on my GT3T. The car feels significantly faster vs stock. Just over 1000 miles on the car now. Already did an oil change. The Michelin tires do their job (most of the time), but cannot maintain traction during part of 1st gear and also when hooking into 2nd gear (slight wheel spin into 2nd gear). The car is surprisingly fast with these headers if driven properly. Sounds too damn good. Very hard to drive in a civilized manner because it makes you wanna go full throttle everywhere. I’ll be doing a dyno next week just for fun. Now I gotta see where I can find a good tire deal. Gonna start buying 3-5 sets at a time...
I loved the race headers on my .1 for the .2 did you get a CEL? Are you based in or out of the US?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much performance is lost in the GT3T?