Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PEC Delivery and license plates.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:25 AM
NDGal
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 22 Posts
Default PEC Delivery and license plates.

I am doing PEC delivery of my GT3 touring in January.
My dealer just sent me the PEC forms to fill out and I noticed that on the last paragraph it says: "Customer must provide vehicle license plate(s), temporary or permanent, for installation before the vehicle can be released for operation by Customer."

Does anybody know if they insist on installing a front plate at PEC?
This would be a total deal breaker for me if holes are drilled in the front bumper.

Would love to hear from members who have done PEC delivery.

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:52 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by NDGal
I am doing PEC delivery of my GT3 touring in January.
My dealer just sent me the PEC forms to fill out and I noticed that on the last paragraph it says: "Customer must provide vehicle license plate(s), temporary or permanent, for installation before the vehicle can be released for operation by Customer."

Does anybody know if they insist on installing a front plate at PEC?
This would be a total deal breaker for me if holes are drilled in the front bumper.

Would love to hear from members who have done PEC delivery.

Thanks.
I did PEC delivery, they don't care about the front plate. Only put on the rear one. In fact they didn't even ask for the front plate and I only handed over the rear plate.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:19 AM
silvertige
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 118 Posts

Just did LA PEC in June and had the same concerns before delivery. They told me that their default is to not ruin the front by drilling holes. So you're good. Also, check my avatar.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:23 AM
NJRickD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did mine at Atlanta last month and they know not to touch the bumper. I think they assume people don't want the front bumper drilled and then they confirmed that with me when arrived. It was a great experience so don't let that stop you.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:25 PM
NDGal
Advanced

Thanks guys, that's good to hear.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:54 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

California: Just found out this morning that, starting in January (1/1), dealers must attach a temporary plastic plate to the back *and* front of every car they sell before it leaves the lot. If a cop pulls over a non-complying car, they will fine both the owner and the dealer that sold it. As such, I assume PEC, acting as the delivering dealer, will be putting on the front plates starting in January.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:03 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Maybe buy and bring a tow hook mount?
The following users liked this post:
LifeIsGr8 (01-07-2020)
Old 10-16-2018, 04:06 PM
NDGal
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Pope
California: Just found out this morning that, starting in January (1/1), dealers must attach a temporary plastic plate to the back *and* front of every car they sell before it leaves the lot. If a cop pulls over a non-complying car, they will fine both the owner and the dealer that sold it. As such, I assume PEC, acting as the delivering dealer, will be putting on the front plates starting in January.
Honestly this is nothing new. Front plate are have always been mandatory in CA. It's just that dealers know not to mess up a front bumper by drilling holes and when you take delivery of the car with no front plate they have you sign a form saying that you acknowledge that front plates have to be installed on the car and you refused the installation.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:09 PM
NDGal
Advanced

Originally Posted by evilfij
Maybe buy and bring a tow hook mount?
I thought about this option. I just don't want to show up and find that the car already had the front plate bracket installed...
Anyway, I asked my dealer to confirm with PECLA that there won't be a front plate mounted. If they insist and won't allow tow hook bracket for some odd reason then I'm canceling the PEC delivery.
(But I find it hard to believe they'll be so hard-headed about this. We'll see...).
Old 10-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

The Pope - Thanks for the head's up. I had not heard of that new law in California. Will do as Evilfij suggests and use my tow hook license plate mount, if my dealership will allow me. Will definitely head this one off at the pass rather than showing up to find my PTS GT3T has a hideous plastic license plate mounted on the front bumper.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:11 PM
The Pope
Holy Guru
Rennlist
Registered Pontiff

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NDGal
Honestly this is nothing new. Front plate are have always been mandatory in CA. It's just that dealers know not to mess up a front bumper by drilling holes and when you take delivery of the car with no front plate they have you sign a form saying that you acknowledge that front plates have to be installed on the car and you refused the installation.
Of course it's new. As of January 1, 2019, you won't be signing anything and driving home with front plate bracket mounted. That's very different from signing a disclosure form, driving home without a front bracket and mostly getting away without a front plate.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:12 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

NDGal - I have signed that form in the past as well, but perhaps that is not an option anymore if the dealership is fined as well as the driver for breaking the law.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:13 PM
NDGal
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Pope
Of course it's new. As of January 1, 2019, you won't be signing anything and driving home with front plate bracket mounted. That's very different from signing a disclosure form, driving home without a front bracket and mostly getting away without a front plate.
I meant it's noting new that front plates are mandatory. I never put front plate on any of my cars. Got a few fix-it tickets over the years.
Mount, inspect, pay $15.00, remove plate, drive off...
Old 10-16-2018, 04:44 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

I will look into this further with my SA at Porsche DTLA. Hopefully, at the very least, I can use the tow hook mount as a workaround. I keep my spare plate under the carpet and my tow mount in the glove compartment of my GTS for the rare times that I park in West Hollywood, where you are all but guaranteed to get a ticket if you do not have a front license plate.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:46 PM
NDGal
Advanced

Wink

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
I will look into this further with my SA at Porsche DTLA. Hopefully, at the very least, I can use the tow hook mount as a workaround. I keep my spare plate under the carpet and my tow mount in the glove compartment of my GTS for the rare times that I park in West Hollywood, where you are all but guaranteed to get a ticket if you do not have a front license plate.
There's a way around that too.
Never mount the rear one either... I just sold my GTS after two and a half years of driving with the dealer plates...
The following users liked this post:
Jeahbladejeah (01-07-2020)

Quick Reply: PEC Delivery and license plates.