Sponsored by:

New GT3/GT2RS Leads With/Without ADM

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 11:52 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
My observation on the abundance of cars for sale on auto trader..........

The used market for Porsche GT cars, especially 2018 models, has plenty of cars available as mentioned in the previous posts.

Heck.......There may be more 2014-2018 991 GT cars for sale than regular 991 Carreras or for that matter possibly Cayennes.......

Porsche milked this phenomenon to the max and the dealers played along to make more money per unit than they ever have on a 911, by promoting scarcity, last of the NA engine, one year model, touring car collectibility, VIP allocation lists and guarantees for buying back the GT car for an upgraded Porsche car, etc...etc....

People bought them primarily because of the following suspected main reasons:

1) EGO of having the newest GT car and being VIP treated for an allocation list for a car not everyone could have. So much so that they were willing to pay an ADM for the privilege of spending $200K.
2) Low or no depreciation history in the first 3-4 years of ownership - very unique situation for an automobile, a can't lose situation created by ADM pricing inflator....
3) Wanted the greatest and latest toy for the track and they could afford it and the associated costs.
4) Flipping for a quick 5 figure profit.

Main reasons to sell, so fast:

1) For the ones who financially stretched past their means, they came to their financial senses and sold out before losing any real money.
2) Non-track people who thought they could use it as a daily driver and found out they could not and sold asap, as the car is not built for that use. There are other 911s for that.
3) Played the baiting game with the dealer to gain an allocation and upgrade to a more expensive Porsche - GT3RS, GT2RS or TT/TTS.
4) Drove the newest, hottest and no short term depreciation car and then traded it in on another newest and greatest car, i.e. Ferrari 488 or 458, Lambo, etc......
5) Could not afford the tracking costs and the car once they got into it......and maybe got bored of running around in circles on a track after a while...
6) Significant other got on their *** to sell an expensive asset that basically sat under-utilized in the garage for fear of depreciation or damage....
As a former 2018 GT3 owner, which of the above categories did you fall in?
Old 01-16-2019, 11:54 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Hahahaha
Old 01-17-2019, 12:01 AM
Jim55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3

The used market for Porsche GT cars, especially 2018 models, has plenty of cars available as mentioned in the previous posts.

Heck.......There may be more 2014-2018 991 GT cars for sale than regular 991 Carreras or for that matter possibly Cayennes.......

Porsche milked this phenomenon to the max and the dealers played along to make more money per unit than they ever have on a 911, by promoting scarcity, last of the NA engine, one year model, touring car collectibility, VIP allocation lists and guarantees for buying back the GT car for an upgraded Porsche car, etc...etc....

1) EGO of having the newest GT car and being VIP treated for an allocation list for a car not everyone could have. So much so that they were willing to pay an ADM for the privilege of spending $200K.
2) Low or no depreciation history in the first 3-4 years of ownership - very unique situation for an automobile, a can't lose situation created by ADM pricing inflator....
3) Wanted the greatest and latest toy for the track and they could afford it and the associated costs.

1) For the ones who financially stretched past their means, they came to their financial senses and sold out before losing any real money.
2) Non-track people who thought they could use it as a daily driver and found out they could not and sold asap, as the car is not built for that use. There are other 911s for that.
3) Played the baiting game with the dealer to gain an allocation and upgrade to a more expensive Porsche - GT3RS, GT2RS or TT/TTS.
4) Drove the newest, hottest and no short term depreciation car and then traded it in on another newest and greatest car, i.e. Ferrari 488 or 458, Lambo, etc......
5) Could not afford the tracking costs and the car once they got into it......and maybe got bored of running around in circles on a track after a while...
6) Significant other got on their *** to sell an expensive asset that basically sat under-utilized in the garage for fear of depreciation or damage....
Good thorough observation. Which one did you fall into with your '18 GT3?

Old 01-17-2019, 12:19 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

I bought my GT3 thinking I would enjoy it as a daily for 2 years and trade for a CPO 991.2 Turbo S which is a more expensive car. The GT3 holding its value was the key as I then could trade it even up for a year or two old TTS .

A great deal on a low mileage Turbo S came up sooner than the 2 years and I made the trade and got into the car I targeted earlier.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:30 AM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

I bought my GT3 thinking I would enjoy it as a daily for 2 years and trade for a CPO 991.2 Turbo S which is a more expensive car. The GT3 holding its value was the key as I then could trade it even up for a year or two old TTS .

A great deal on a low mileage Turbo S came up sooner than the 2 years and I made the trade and got into the car I targeted earlier.
Got it, FIFY then:

5) Thinking they would enjoy as a daily for 2 years and trade for a more expensive car (e.g. CPO 991.2 Turbo S)

7). Trade it in for a year or two older - more expensive when new - car (e.g. TTS).
Old 01-17-2019, 12:40 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 164 Posts

LOL! ^^
Old 01-17-2019, 01:48 AM
Gesler
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

wow! if somebody is looking for the definition of hypocrisy..
Old 01-17-2019, 01:48 AM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^Haha
Old 01-17-2019, 03:01 AM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Got it, FIFY then:
That is some ownage!!!!
Old 01-17-2019, 03:02 AM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

I don't see these prices going down with Spring around the corner
Old 01-17-2019, 07:26 AM
Manoverpdk
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 75 Posts

Hopefully supply may be exceeding demand soon.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:43 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you just shoot yourself on the foot?

Anyways, not sure what all the bashing is all about. With all due respect if someone offers you more money than what you paid for the car, "naturally" people would let go of the car and buy a subsequent one. Besides, what business is it of anyone what to do with anyone's material possession anyways.

Just be happy you got what you want. Well, this is one aspect of a "value thread." You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Old 01-17-2019, 08:01 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

An interesting question (although un verifiable) would be how many of the for sale car owners have owned a significant number of Porsche's or was it there first one. Another driver of sales are those that got a GT3 then get an allocation for an RS. The ADM's in pre-owned may reflect some number who paid ADM and are trying to recover. Seems like at this point the cars are worth MSRP. With higher supply some buyers have no sense of urgency which is what may be missing in this market. Another point is it is winter. Not much fun to buy a car and store it for 90 days.

Last edited by white6speed; 01-17-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:50 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

BINGO ! Sports car market is seasonal to a certain degree. It is hot in sales during summer, and colder than ice during winter.

Best time to buy a used car and save money, well, winter of course.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by white6speed
An interesting question (although un verifiable) would be how many of the for sale car owners have owned a significant number of Porsche's or was it there first one. Another driver of sales are those that got a GT3 then get an allocation for an RS. The ADM's in pre-owned may reflect some number who paid ADM and are trying to recover. Seems like at this point the cars are worth MSRP. With higher supply some buyers have no sense of urgency which is what may be missing in this market. Another point is it is winter. Not much fun to buy a car and store it for 90 days.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:59 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But I'm more shocked simply by the fact that there are so many cars out there for sale. Almost 200 GT3s for sale in the U.S. alone?
Wow, that's crazy. Hopefully people will remember this and we'll see less speculating/flipping for the 992.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Manoverpdk
Hopefully supply may be exceeding demand soon.
We're there.

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
Got it, FIFY then:
LMAO, someone just got played like a fiddle!

Quick Reply: New GT3/GT2RS Leads With/Without ADM