Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GT3/GT2RS Leads With/Without ADM

Old 12-11-2018, 09:32 AM
robcut1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
It reminds me of the same thing early on with the .1GT3RS where there were people who really believed that they would only build 500-600 cars for the US. When will people learn that Porsche is a for-profit company and will keep building profitable car if the demand is there. They aren't there to help flippers or collectors. The GT2RS will be trading below MSRP in 2019, it'll happen once the non-mortals start being able to sell their cars after the 1-year holding period.
Sure, just like the 2011’s have dropped below their MSRP
https://www.dupontregistry.com/autos..._asc&inv=false

and let’s not forget the 458 Speciale, etc.
Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:11 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by robcut1

Good Luck!
only 500 GT2RS 997's WW - that's why they are at such high prices.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:46 PM
robcut1
Instructor

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
only 500 GT2RS 997's WW - that's why they are at such high prices.
Well, there are 11 of those available for sale in the U.S. accounting for a little under 8% of the total USA cars assuming around 150. There are 7 R’s for sale which is around 2.5% USA production of approximately 250 units.

Currently there are around 19/1000 USA GT2RS’s available which is only 1.9% of USA production. This is a low number of available cars from a percentage basis as compared to the 997 GT2, however, not much lower than the percentage of available 911R’s. I suspect it has to do with how special the car feels to it’s owner and whether it is seen as something to collect.

However, even if the percentage of available GT2RS units climb to 997 generation numbers of 8%, you are still only talking about 80 cars for the entire USA verses the 19 which are available now. Are there going to be 80 people in the USA who are willing to sell a car that 1000 people already purchased for MSRP plus adm at a $50,000- $100,000 loss bringing the street value of the car to less than MSRP?

I do not think so given the cost of entry and the financial status of the people who can afford to purchase in the first place. Being a Porsche and breaking the Nurburgring record make it very recognizable as one of the most special cars someone could ever own in my opinion.

Again, most 911’s that are GT series cars and/ or special edition cars seem to maintain a unique historically significant position like the Ferrari special edition cars. Is that because they represent the pinnacle of that model in the series? For example, when asked if anyone would rather wait for a 992 cabriolet (GT3 touring or otherwise), verses a 991 Speedster, the response is overwhelmingly Speedster because it represents the greatest car of that generation. I really like Mclaren 720s Spider but everyone knows that the LT version will be a better car and many will want to move on to that. Even the 675LT was a special and limited car but still depreciated quite a bit. Maybe it’s as simple as saying that not as many people are willing to invest in pre-owned Mclarens and Lamborghinis no matter how special. Porsche and Ferrari people are just different that way in regards to certain models.

Last edited by robcut1; 12-11-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Good Luck!
They dipped substantially below MSRP for quite a while. I bought one second hand, below MSRP, 2kmi, perfect condition, once-upon-a-time. And that's with 500 total produced.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:39 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,788 Likes on 2,157 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertige
I agree with you... and I don't like turbos either, haha.
Bring...I've had turbo cars before so I got it out of my system. The "want" factor for me with turbo cars is low so even buying a GT2RS is not something I'd be interested in.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:40 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Good Luck!
They've built way more 991.1GT3RSs than 997.1GT3RSs or 997.2GT3RSs.....apples and oranges my friend.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:42 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Well, there are 11 of those available for sale in the U.S. accounting for a little under 8% of the total USA cars assuming around 150. There are 7 R’s for sale which is around 2.5% USA production of approximately 250 units.

Currently there are around 19/1000 USA GT2RS’s available which is only 1.9% of USA production. This is a low number of available cars from a percentage basis as compared to the 997 GT2, however, not much lower than the percentage of available 911R’s. I suspect it has to do with how special the car feels to it’s owner and whether it is seen as something to collect.

However, even if the percentage of available GT2RS units climb to 997 generation numbers of 8%, you are still only talking about 80 cars for the entire USA verses the 19 which are available now. Are there going to be 80 people in the USA who are willing to sell the car they purchased for MSRP plus adm at a $50,000- $100,000 loss bringing the street value of the car to less than MSRP?

I do not think so given the cost of entry and the financial status of the people who can afford to purchase in the first place. Being a Porsche and breaking the Nurburgring record make it very recognizable as one of the most special cars someone could ever own in my opinion.

You do realize that if you call around to dealers you'll probably find that many dealers have 1 or 2 GT2RSs allocations or cars in route. Also, the non-mortals have to wait 1 year to sell their cars so those are coming soon to an Autotrader listing near you.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:01 PM
robcut1
Instructor

You do realize that if you call around to dealers you'll probably find that many dealers have 1 or 2 GT2RSs allocations or cars in route. Also, the non-mortals have to wait 1 year to sell their cars so those are coming soon to an Autotrader listing near you.
You should definitely buy a local one when you see one available on autotrader...maybe offer 100,000k less than sticker. Also, who started the 1 year waiting rumors? That’s true for Ford GT’s. Ferrari has a six month right of first refusal. Porsche had a six month at one point but it wasn’t enforceable since speculators would just lease to buy their cars on the second hand market. That is exactly why there are ADM’s. Dealers got tired of speculators figuring out how to make all the profit.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:26 PM
HEAT'N'COOL
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Well optioned GT3 Miami blue at Porsche Tacoma. 15k over asking.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:21 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

I agree. There has to be a lot more than 19 GT2RS for sale. My local dealer here has 3 of them and in SLC, I know of 2. This is 2 dealers only! Of course, they aren't listed. Dealers are smarter than that. Put one on the showroom and 2 in the back yard....
Old 12-11-2018, 04:01 PM
mclarenmaniac
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 112 Posts

Couple of dealers i know received an email from their regional sales rep that NO more new GT2 and GT3 allocations.
Email didnt include the word RS it seems.. but the dealers are assuming NO new RS allocations ...
Old 12-11-2018, 04:05 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

^ Haven't we heard that before? Wasn't there an 'official' document saying GT3 production would be done by now?
Old 12-11-2018, 04:14 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 612 Likes on 342 Posts

However, even if the percentage of available GT2RS units climb to 997 generation numbers of 8%, you are still only talking about 80 cars for the entire USA verses the 19 which are available now. Are there going to be 80 people in the USA who are willing to sell a car that 1000 people already purchased for MSRP plus adm at a $50,000- $100,000 loss bringing the street value of the car to less than MSRP?

Again, most 911’s that are GT series cars and/ or special edition cars seem to maintain a unique historically significant position like the Ferrari special edition cars. Is that because they represent the pinnacle of that model in the series? For example, when asked if anyone would rather wait for a 992 cabriolet (GT3 touring or otherwise), verses a 991 Speedster, the response is overwhelmingly Speedster because it represents the greatest car of that generation. I really like Mclaren 720s Spider but everyone knows that the LT version will be a better car and many will want to move on to that. Even the 675LT was a special and limited car but still depreciated quite a bit. Maybe it’s as simple as saying that not as many people are willing to invest in pre-owned Mclarens and Lamborghinis no matter how special. Porsche and Ferrari people are just different that way in regards to certain models.

I have asked a few dealers about this, they are NOT allowed to list GT cars ANYWHERE! So if they have one, you will not find it on their website, autotrader, ebay. Only a select few rule breakers are doing that or they are used. So every 95%+ of any new Gt2rs is unlisted as per Porsche rules
Old 12-11-2018, 05:10 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

They can’t list new unless they are selling at MSRP.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:48 PM
robcut1
Instructor

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
I don't understand the adm's on Gt2rs, everyone seems to have one available. I am willing to guess price will come down a lot (dare I say sticker by April/June). It might be so high of a price point this could be reminiscent of the 918. Makes sense to me as only 133 were sent last time to u.s. albeit in much worse economy.

I'll just apologize to the gt2 rs owners that care about adm in advance. Does anyone think they will sell them all (1,000) before adm diminishes to nothing? I don't, most enthusiasts dont even like turbos haha...
First of all, there is nothing to prevent any GT2RS owner from selling their car without having to wait a year. So, no there will not be a mass exodus.

Second, the number of unsold cars is closer to 2.5% than 8% of the total being produced. Yes, some dealers do have a couple of unsold cars but there are not that many unsold vehicles above and beyond what are appearing on DuPont, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New GT3/GT2RS Leads With/Without ADM