Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Product: Essex/AP Racing Front and Rear Complete Radi-CAL GT3 Brake Kit..finally!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 05:24 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Some shots on the ground...

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 04-19-2018, 10:04 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Any chance of a red or yellow caliper option?
Old 04-20-2018, 04:42 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Our product manager just drove the car and said the pedal feel is nuts (in the best possible sense of the word of course).

Sure thing! The brackets are zinc coated steel, and they extremely lightweight. All of the studs we use are custom made for us by ARP.

More pics on the way soon...
The hardware looks great! Nice work. What bolt hardware do you use for attaching the brackets to the uprights that nest in those sub flush pockets?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:54 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mech33

The hardware looks great! Nice work. What bolt hardware do you use for attaching the brackets to the uprights that nest in those sub flush pockets?
Thanks! We use a 10.9, high strength, zinc coated bolts to fasten the brackets to the uprights. Also of note, they are made in 'Murica!

Here's a pic that shows how they nest:

Old 04-20-2018, 11:13 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by drdonger
Any chance of a red or yellow caliper option?
We do not offer painted or powder-coated calipers. Those finishes do not hold up to our standards under heavy track use. They tend to fade, change color, or crack under intense heat. Sorry!

I prefer the Henry Ford answer, "You can have them in any color you want, as long as it's racing anodized gray."
Old 04-20-2018, 12:05 PM
Tik
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks! We use a 10.9, high strength, zinc coated bolts to fasten the brackets to the uprights. Also of note, they are made in 'Murica!
My kit is on the way! Very excited to give it a try. Jeff, any reason why you didn't go with a stud to the upright itself? I know the intention is to put these brakes on and then never have to remove the bracket itself, but given how easily the uprights seem to strip, was curious on your thoughts here. I'm thinking years down the road when I want to put the stock PCCBs back on... Might be overkill but thought I'd ask.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:46 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tik
My kit is on the way! Very excited to give it a try. Jeff, any reason why you didn't go with a stud to the upright itself? I know the intention is to put these brakes on and then never have to remove the bracket itself, but given how easily the uprights seem to strip, was curious on your thoughts here. I'm thinking years down the road when I want to put the stock PCCBs back on... Might be overkill but thought I'd ask.
Thank you very much for the support...we really appreciate it. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Ideally we would have just bolted the AP Racing calipers directly to the spindle and made a disc with the same 380mm OD as the stock iron. Unfortunately, the AP Racing parts bin doesn't have any calipers with the proper mounting spacing (no other manufacturer does either). The hole centers in the spindle are 225mm apart. The mounting centers in the caliper are 180mm apart. We therefore had to use an adapter bracket to account for that difference, and go with a slightly larger than stock disc to leave some radial space to sandwich the caliper bracket.

Installing our bracket is really no different than installing a stud kit. It's a one-time deal. Once the bracket is on, there won't be any need to take it off. The studs in our bracket will allow for caliper removal without disturbing the bolts going into the upright. Given how robust the Pro5000 Radi-CAL calipers have been proving themselves to be, we don't expect them to even come off of the studs in the bracket very often. We've had these calipers in the field for over three years now on many extremely heavy, fast cars, and we've barely seen any of them back for rebuild. Nor have we sold many spares to rebuild them. The seals are fantastic, the pistons are tough, and they just don't come back for servicing. Given the size of the discs we're using, the power and weight of these cars, etc., the calipers aren't going to be particularly stressed in this application. Honestly, I think one of our kits with 355x32mm discs would likely have no trouble providing fade-free performance on this chassis. For reference, we've had 550 whp Z06's running huge slicks and aero on our 355mm front systems at Watkins Glen and Road America with no fade or issues.

The other option we discussed was to go with from-scratch, custom billet calipers that bolt directly to the spindle. The cost on such a kit would have been closer to $25,000 or $30,000, because the calipers alone would have been $5,000 each. Instead, our engineers got creative and came up with a solution by tweaking off-the-shelf calipers and doing a custom run of discs from an existing casting. By doing so we were able to hold the cost similar to the OEM iron system components. We believe we have achieved all of the performance, convenience, and durability goals we had established for ourselves, so we think it's a win for the customer. Frankly, we probably shouldn't have deliberated on that decision as long as we did, and made everyone here suffer through cracked pistons, painful pad changes, etc.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:05 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

We do not offer painted or powder-coated calipers. Those finishes do not hold up to our standards under heavy track use. They tend to fade, change color, or crack under intense heat. Sorry!

I prefer the Henry Ford answer, "You can have them in any color you want, as long as it's racing anodized gray."
Function first. Understood
Old 04-21-2018, 12:40 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Great product! I love my PCCB steels I got from Clark at Apex.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:02 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Clark is the man when it comes to Porsche brakes! Very impressed with this AP Racing setup, too. I'm going to give it a hard look when my Girodiscs are up for replacement. And I believe you have a full system for the Turbo S now, correct?
Old 04-22-2018, 12:29 AM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Yep, Clark is the man. I buy all my brake products from him without question and with his advice.

Clark and the team at Essex shipped out this full brake kit for my 991.1 GT3 friday. Cant sleep all weekend waiting on it to arrive. Gonna try to get it installed this week and try them out at Barber next weekend.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:16 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by drdonger

Function first. Understood
Exactly! Our system isn't flashy in a 'grab your attention from 50 feet away' sense. However, people tend to freak out a bit when they see the unique design up close and personal. The Radi-CAL calipers are functionally beautiful, and don't look like any other brake caliper anyone has ever seen before. It quickly becomes obvious that there's nothing typical about them, and I believe that makes them a particularly great fit for these special cars.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:28 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Clark is the man when it comes to Porsche brakes! Very impressed with this AP Racing setup, too. I'm going to give it a hard look when my Girodiscs are up for replacement.
Yep, Clark is the man. I buy all my brake products from him without question and with his advice.

Clark at Apex is definitely an excellent source for our products (including these brake kits), and it's always great to see so much positive feedback about one of our resellers. He is incredibly devoted to customer service, and he always goes to bat for his customers. We certainly never have any reservations about sending customers his way!
Old 04-23-2018, 10:31 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 911therapy

Clark and the team at Essex shipped out this full brake kit for my 991.1 GT3 friday. Cant sleep all weekend waiting on it to arrive. Gonna try to get it installed this week and try them out at Barber next weekend.
Thank you very much for your support. We really appreciate it, and we're looking forward to pics and feedback once you've had your way with them at Barber!
Old 04-23-2018, 11:08 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Gents,

We recently completed some artwork celebrating AP's Pro5000R Radi-CAL calipers. We used a monochromatic style that will look good with a wide variety of decors. The poster dimensions are 24" x 36", and the most popular frame I could find
on Amazon is here on Amazon is here
. A preview of the poster can be seen below, and I think it does a great job of conveying our message.

Since many of our brake kit sales go through resellers, we don't have addresses for the actual vehicle owners. We thought about shipping these along with the kits to our resellers, but they don't fit in the standard boxes, and we were concerned about them getting lost in the shuffle and not reaching the owner's hands. If you purchased our brake kit, please shoot me a PM with your full name and home address, and we'll send you one of these posters for your garage or man cave. Thanks!

Quick Reply: New Product: Essex/AP Racing Front and Rear Complete Radi-CAL GT3 Brake Kit..finally!