Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Product: Essex/AP Racing Front and Rear Complete Radi-CAL GT3 Brake Kit..finally!

Old 12-22-2017, 11:07 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 602 Likes on 341 Posts

Something else I wanted to share...we recently completed another cool project that is leveraging the AP Racing Pro5000R Radi-CAL calipers, AP Racing J Hook Discs, and Ferodo DS1.11 pads...a Trophy Truck! (the highest class of off-road racing) Racing 905 in San Diego just ran this setup in the Baja 1000 last month on their Pro Comp Toyota. These trucks make over 900HP, weigh 6,000 lbs., and they absolutely beat the heck out of their equipment! The team made it 750 miles before an engine failure took them out of the race, and all three drivers said the brakes were flawless. I just wanted to share this to illustrate the versatility and durability of these components.

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 12-30-2017, 10:57 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Caliper ****. The detail on these calipers is extraordinary for consumer level kits. Front and rear set from Apex going on a C7 next week, then to COTA.

Old 01-02-2018, 01:16 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Happy New Year Gents!

I’ve had several customers with PCCB’s who are debating between our two-piece J Hook iron disc replacements vs. our complete Competition Brake Kit. In this instance the two options are mutually exclusive, so you’ll have to decide which direction to go beforehand. In other words, you won’t be able to install our PCCB replacement discs, and then add the AP Racing calipers later. The PCCB replacement discs are not compatible with the AP Racing calipers, only the OEM calipers. I’ve put together a comparison of the two products below. Hopefully this will be helpful in choosing the solution that best suits your car, your needs, and budget.

Discs
Our PCCB iron replacements and the discs in our complete brake kit are similar in many regards. They are both AP Racing units with a high internal vane count (72-84 vanes). They also both use AP’s patented J Hook slot pattern, which distributes heat evenly across the disc face. They both flow a lot of air, and are both cast from AP’s crack-resistant metallurgy. They are both fully-floating and are mounted using the same hardware that we use in all of our two-piece discs. Neither will have any binding or coning issues, nor will they have unwanted rattling noises.The primary difference between the discs is size, weight, and wheel fitment. The PCCB replacements are larger front and rear, and will weigh 3-5 lbs. more per corner than the discs in our complete BBK. PCCB systems all tend to use discs with a very tall radial depth, which is measured from the disc’s outer diameter to its inner diameter. That added radial depth contributes considerably to the disc’s weight. Our complete front brake kit will fit inside 19” front wheels, while I don’t believe there’s any way to cram the OEM PCCB front size into a wheel smaller than 20” in diameter. Even with 20's they seem to be a snug fit.

Pad Choice and Pad Changes
In this category, our complete BBK has a sizeable advantage over retaining the OEM calipers. The AP Racing calipers we’re employing use very common pad shapes that have been around for a long time. One can find just about any compound from all major pad manufacturers in these shapes. Conversely, the number of pad options for the OEM caliper shapes is limited. With our complete brake kit, it will take longer to raise the car and remove the wheel than it will to change the pads. The pads come out of the AP calipers with one (rear) or two (front) hex head bolts. With the OEM calipers, one must remove the caliper to change pads. If you’re not running aftermarket caliper studs and brake lines, that will also involve disconnecting the brake lines and bleeding the brakes before buttoning the car back up.

Caliper Durability
The calipers in our Competition system are far more suited to track abuse compared to the OEM calipers. The AP Racing Radi-CAL has ventilated, domed-back, stainless steel pistons with anti-knockback springs, and high temperature seals. The OEM caliper uses aluminum pistons with ceramic caps, which have proven fragile for quite a few owners. The AP caliper will do a better job of keeping heat out of the brake fluid, require less maintenance, and will also assist with pad knockback. The anodized finish on the AP calipers also won’t show nearly the color shift as the painted OEM calipers (they won’t turn brown or maroon).

Long-term running costs
I addressed this topic extensively in my cost assessment (numbers) post earlier in this thread. Preserving the OEM calipers in good condition can substantially shift the situation when it comes time to sell your car on the used market.

Summary
We’ve seen this situation on numerous other vehicle platforms over the years, and the general consensus is that the more frequently you track your car, the more quickly our complete brake kit will pay for itself. You’ll throw fewer consumables at the BBK, and it will save a lot of time and energy wrenching. If you’re out at the track every chance you get, running smaller wheels, looking for fewer headaches swapping pads, and seeking to preserve tenths of a second, you'll be thrilled with how our complete brake system impacts your weekends. If however, you only take your car to the track occasionally, don’t swap wheels or pads, and won’t be consistently pounding your OEM calipers, our iron PCCB replacement discs may be the proper choice for you. They represent a smaller initial investment, and you’ll eliminate the risk and cost associated with thrashing the pricey PCCB discs. You’ll see a big increase in spares longevity with the iron setup, and be able to tailor the feel and lower the running cost of your system based on pad choice (you'll have more choices than OEM PCCB or Pagid). Both routes have distinct advantages, but which one is the best choice for you depends on how you plan to use your car over the next few years. Hopefully that is helpful!
Old 01-03-2018, 10:01 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by consolidated
Caliper ****. The detail on these calipers is extraordinary for consumer level kits. Front and rear set from Apex going on a C7 next week, then to COTA.
Very nice Consolidated, and thank you very much for the kind words and support of our products! I hope you have fun at COTA in your GS. That is a fast track and we've seen it devour numerous OEM brake systems. Our brake system should really open up your car's potential there, and I think you're going to be smiling ear-to-ear when you see what they can do. Please be sure to report back after your event.

On a side note, please make sure you do a good bed-in cycle on your discs prior to your first event, and warm your brakes up gradually on your first out-lap of each session (especially the first one). A track like COTA produces violent temperature swings on the discs due to the fast straights followed by heavy brake zones. There are four or five sections of that track where you'll go from well over 100mph down to 40-50mph. If you go out on your first lap and hammer the discs full-tilt cold, you'll introduce thermal shock (which leads to disc cracking). Bring them up to temp a little slower, and you'll be rewarded with a longer service life out of them. Have fun and be safe out there, and let us know if you have any questions. Thanks again!
Old 01-03-2018, 10:16 AM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
On a side note, please make sure you do a good bed-in cycle on your discs prior to your first event, and warm your brakes up gradually on your first out-lap of each session (especially the first one). A track like COTA produces violent temperature swings on the discs due to the fast straights followed by heavy brake zones. There are four or five sections of that track where you'll go from well over 100mph down to 40-50mph. If you go out on your first lap and hammer the discs full-tilt cold, you'll introduce thermal shock (which leads to disc cracking). Bring them up to temp a little slower, and you'll be rewarded with a longer service life out of them. Have fun and be safe out there, and let us know if you have any questions. Thanks again!
Good advice for any car, appreciate it.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:59 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

From my M3. I love these brakes. Gets that heavy beast slowed down every time, every corner. This is true race-grade equipment.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:02 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ah...very nice...I'm glad they're getting it done on your M3 Mvez!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:39 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mvez
From my M3. I love these brakes. Gets that heavy beast slowed down every time, every corner. This is true race-grade equipment.
Our kits are indeed race-grade equipment. In fact, both Audi and VW have recently been running the AP Racing Pro5000R line of calipers we're using in our GT3 kit on their factory-built racecars in the TCR International Series. They've won numerous races, and the Golf GTI TCR actually scored the most points of any model for the 2017 season. Our kits are not just modified road parts that look 'racey.' They are the real deal. Below are a few images of the Audi RS-3 LMS and the VW Golf GTI TCR:

Old 02-05-2018, 12:11 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hello Gents,
I just wanted to check in and say that everything is still moving forward. I should have some new pics and details on our final test fit of prototype parts within the next two weeks or so.

In the meantime, below is a video I thought you might enjoy. This is a C7 Z06 with our front/rear brake kit on slicks running at COTA. His lap is lined up with those from a McLaren P1. Not too shabby vs. a $1.5M, 900HP hypercar.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:24 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

So, what is a realistic timing for being able to purchase and install for the 991.1 GT3? I am on my second set of factory calipers and need an alternative. Thanks for any insight.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:42 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by zedcat
So, what is a realistic timing for being able to purchase and install for the 991.1 GT3? I am on my second set of factory calipers and need an alternative. Thanks for any insight.
Zedcat,
That stinks on the factory calipers. Flushing more money away on them is no fun.

Is your name already on our pre-order list? If not, please PM or jeff.ritter@essexparts.com your name and phone number to reserve a kit. The list is growing quickly, and we'll be servicing orders in the sequence in which they are received. If you get your name on the list now, I'd estimate that you'd have your brakes by late March. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:49 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

From my Corvette I race. Pretty serious hardware. The brakes are amazing.

- Chris
Old 02-15-2018, 11:15 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We are on the home stretch now gents! We currently have a local GT3 back on our lift to do final fitment checks. Over the next few days I'll be posting some additional pics and info showing our components lined up with the OEM equipment. Thanks for your patience on this one...it will be well worth the wait!

Our pre-order list is getting fairly long. If you want one of our kits this spring, please get in touch with us and we'll add your name to our queue.

Out with the old, and in with the new.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:21 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hams955
From my Corvette I race. Pretty serious hardware. The brakes are amazing.
- Chris
Thanks for the vote of confidence Chris. Now that we're heading into the final stretch on this project, I'm getting really excited to get them on cars and see how they positively impact our customers. We've been through this experience so many times on other platforms like your Vette, and I'm excited to finally share this technology with Porsche owners. You've all been dealing with the limitations of the OEM equipment for far too long!
Old 02-15-2018, 03:07 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Engineering did an outstanding job on the packaging on this one! We have miles of clearance behind the OEM wheels, and this bodes very well for having a wide range of aftermarket wheels fit without any type of spacer.

Caliper to spoke on the OEM wheels at the tightest spot:

Wheel barrel clearance:

Rear is on the car and looking killer!

Lots more pics and info on the way, please stay tuned...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Product: Essex/AP Racing Front and Rear Complete Radi-CAL GT3 Brake Kit..finally!