Sponsored by:

LED lights flickering during cornering

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:32 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LED lights flickering during cornering

My LED lights on my 991.2 targa 4S flicker during cornering. People have spotted them during track & Autocross events. Please see attached video.

Has taken it to dealer and they checked everything and indicated they could not replicate the problem, but the issue has been happening during all events and porsche dealer can’t figure out the problem and especially it is happening to both front headlight assemblies, but they are checking with PCNA to find a solution.

Didn’t know where to post but my 991 GT3 has the same LED light assemblies, so I figured it should be applicable to all newer 911’s with LED headlights

Anyone else had this issue. Your thoughts........ Mark
Attached Files
Old 10-23-2017, 11:14 PM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

They appear to flicker bc the refresh rate on the camera used is different than the frequency of the light emitting diodes in the headlights. So when they match up perfectly an image will be captured that makes the lights appear off. Human eyes are unable to detect these high frequencies
Old 10-24-2017, 12:47 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimmyrepasi
They appear to flicker bc the refresh rate on the camera used is different than the frequency of the light emitting diodes in the headlights. So when they match up perfectly an image will be captured that makes the lights appear off. Human eyes are unable to detect these high frequencies
Hi Jim... I understand about the camera & refresh rate, but people have observed this with their naked eyes since last March and have been telling me about it so I asked few to take videos to document it. So it is not because I have noticed this flickering in the Video, and got concerned, but rather people have been telling me about it and hence the video. Mark
Old 10-24-2017, 04:34 AM
RickIrons
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brake light will also flicker if you brake very hard.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:24 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by RickIrons
Someone said that was normal at some point...
Old 10-24-2017, 04:00 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
Someone said that was normal at some point...
I have heard that as well on the brake lights, and not sure if it is true, but for sure not on the headlights. I think most people would not be aware of It unless someone is observing them while they track or autocross the car. Mark
Old 10-24-2017, 04:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Have your headlights ever been removed, for say, clear bra installation?
Old 10-24-2017, 04:17 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There must be some kind of an electric glitch, hopefully they figure it out and correct. LEDs can flicker when they don't get full power so I wonder if there is something improperly wired??
The brake lights do not normally flicker on hard braking in the 991.1 (any model) , from my track experience.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:46 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by RickIrons
Originally Posted by mqandil
I have heard that as well on the brake lights, and not sure if it is true, .....
Originally Posted by SamFromTX
The brake lights do not normally flicker on hard braking in the 991.1 (any model) , from my track experience.
The flashing/flickering brake lights were not approved for these cars in the US by DOT AFAIK. Maybe that will change in the future since other OEMs were able to get them approved.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:05 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Have your headlights ever been removed, for say, clear bra installation?
No they have not. I had a clear bra installation but it was done without bumper or headlights removal because removing 991.2 headlights is not that easy like 991.1 and it was decided to not mess with them. Mark
Old 10-25-2017, 04:11 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
There must be some kind of an electric glitch, hopefully they figure it out and correct. LEDs can flicker when they don't get full power so I wonder if there is something improperly wired??
Hi Sam, that’s how I feel too, that there must be some loose connection. However Porsche supposedly checked all connections and found nothing unusual. The other thought is that these lights supposed to rotate or adjust while turning, and also adjust brightness depending on speed and incoming traffic, etc. so I am assuming the headlight is getting some input from various sensors, so what if one of these sensors is faulty... Porsche dealership is consulting with PCNA about what all the other parameters to check. Will post the solution once is solved. Mark
Old 04-27-2021, 10:47 AM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you ever get this resolved? I had several people come to me and describe this issue during our autocross this weekend. My car and 991.2 Targa were doing this flashing of the LED running lights. Interested in if you got a resolution.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Beneil
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same issue with my 22 Macan GTS. Dealer is not able to find the root cause. Have you been able to find a solution yet?
Below are the two video's I was able to capture and provide to dealership for proof...
Video1
Video2
Attached Files
File Type: mov
RingVideo_20221109_025839.mov (17.45 MB, 10 views)

Quick Reply: LED lights flickering during cornering