Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Carrera T

Old 02-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by wbrownie
Just to pile on praise for the Carrera T I just purchased one from Tyler @ Atlanta Perimeter. It had been sitting around a while I believe because the only options were PCCB, RAS, Sport Buckets and Chrono. All I need and nothing I don't. Its a fabulous car. The styling details with the gray wheels, mirrors, graphics, exhaust tips, etc. is really cool. Plus I really wanted something I would want to drive nearly everyday.

In order to do this deal I came to the decision to sell my 2007 GT3. I had owned it since new and tracked it a few times. Over the last 5 years I put less than 1000 miles on it. It really was a special car but it was not conducive to daily driving. Too low, stiff clutch etc. Don't get me wrong I loved the car for those back road blasts but it was just a decision to go in a different direction. Also for a track beast I picked up a GT350R so that eased the pain.
Sound decision for this purchase. Enjoy.

I do like the simplicity of this car. No drama-Performs handsomely.

GT3s have some drama which is great but, I agree, not a Daily driver.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:14 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a GT4 and .2 GT3 and sometimes or more often than not I do miss my ex 991.2 Carrera (got it in Jan 2017 before the T was even revealed) and I can only imagine if I had a 911T now.... it needs and deserves more & more praise and respect.

I'm kinda jelly/envy with these GT3 + 911T owners lol and yeah 1st world probs. Anyway, great choice to all the fellas on acquiring and enjoying your 911T... I always was and still am a big supporter of this T model.

It also reminds me so much of my standard Guard Red Carrera build... and now the T gets so much more goodies whether standard or optional that were previously unavailable on base Carrera models.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
How does the 7 speed compare to the 6 in the Touring?

Between your review and Pete's seems to be something special there. The kind of balance that is missing from many modern 911s.
Originally Posted by sumbaco
I thought that the GT3 touring shifter was too light. Reminded me of a normal car, something like a civic. It also didn't snap to center/3rd strongly enough, to to the point that when going from 2nd to 3rd I hit the gate between 3rd and 5th, something that's happened to me in a 987. In my experience, the 911 T shifter had better self centering and I never missed a shift. With everything you feel and touch (seats, steering, shifter) I thought the 911 T experience was waaaay closer to a GT3 experience than the price difference suggests (not so with sound and brakes). And you can buy one at a discount instead of with an ADM.
I took my GT3 out for a drive earlier today. I'll tell you one thing that the 7MT in my Carrera T definitely has over the 6MT in my GT3.... the stick doesn't jump around in 4th gear. I know there is a separate thread on this issue and I know some people have talked to their techs and have been told it's normal and not a problem, but after 3000 miles it still drives me nuts, always giving me that "something is not quite right" feeling. I wish Porsche would come out with a fix for it. Did not experience this issue with the 6MT in my GT4, not sure what the problem is.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:40 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

I’m indecisive, thinking about removing the Carrera T script on sides of car. Depends on the day.
curious how many t owners deleted script either during build or after delivery.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:00 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by ohniner
I’m indecisive, thinking about removing the Carrera T script on sides of car. Depends on the day.
curious how many t owners deleted script either during build or after delivery.

Would never delete the script on mine. I think it looks awesome. And I’m not usually a fan of stickers.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:00 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

#savethestickers

I waffled when ordering, but kept it...now would not remove them for anything. I think it gives the car a lower stance visually, as it adds a subtle character line lengthwise.

cheers!
Old 02-09-2019, 01:20 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I ordered a clean build - model designation delete on rear and side-stripe delete. I'm not a stickers guy and I just like a clean, simple look. And this seems to fit with the less-is-more theme of the T. However, I'm surely in the minority and I think most guys like the side stripes. And the side stripes were designed specifically for the T, so there's that. It's purely subjective, so there's really very little we can do to help you with your decision.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:25 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

All I can say is I took the T out this morning and I swear every time I walk up to it I get giddy. Never felt like this about any car

Old 02-09-2019, 09:19 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 381 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
All I can say is I took the T out this morning and I swear every time I walk up to it I get giddy. Never felt like this about any car

I know! Crazy hey...it's just such a damn good car!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:16 AM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tracking the T

Anyone tracking it in a regular basis? If so - any feedback?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:33 AM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

It seems like a marketing gimmick to make the car unique for very little expense. At the same time it is how Porsche delivers it therefore it’s part of the car.
best suggestion was buy a “t” decal set from Suncoast for $230 then remove existing stripes. That allows replacement before resale or when mood strikes.
sheesh, can’t believe how much thought process I’ve invested for just some decals ��
Old 02-10-2019, 10:59 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The love for the T is a bit like that for the 981 Spyder. More than the sum of its parts and not all about the power.

Anyone had experience of both and can make a comparison?
Old 02-10-2019, 12:22 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Funny how we went from poo-pooing the T to now heralding it, always said it seemed to be a great package/car
Old 02-10-2019, 01:10 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

What a ringing endorsement, given what's in your avatar.

I agree, and have been saying this more or less since 2015/2016 with the arrival of the 991.2 Carrera 7MT and my shock at how complete and fun it was—easily the best standard 911 for a long time, maybe ever. Two years later, the T was similarly brilliant but didn't make its differences all that apparent over the standard Carrera, even in two near back to back drives, other than the obvious short shifter and a bit more engine noise—mainly because the base suspension got a lot more sporting with the 991.2 while Sport PASM got noticeably more compliant. The dynamic/overall similarity said a lot for the standard Carrera, and also had me thinking the T was a bit of a marketing special and maybe not even worth its premium over the Carrera unless you wanted PSE, 20s, and other items in its group of options—or had to have RAS and/or LWBS. It took a 600-800 mile back-to-back drive to ferret out the real dynamic differences between Carrera and Carrera T, and all I can say is the T is very special indeed. It takes a car I already think a lot of GT3 drivers might have more fun in more of the time—and more often—and adds another layer with a key addition not available in the Carrera: Sport PASM w/LSD. I also love its breadth of capability, and its price directly addresses the complaints of those who say GT3s are becoming too precious.

Marketing ploy? A new Black Edition? Who cares. It's a great car.

(Photos Larry Chen for 000)

Originally Posted by Gravs
The love for the T is a bit like that for the 981 Spyder. More than the sum of its parts and not all about the power.
Yes. I liken the Carrera T to a 911-shaped Boxster Spyder—but I think of 987.2, not 981, in part because of its magic but also for following the first Spyder's script by focusing on chassis rather than engine.

Originally Posted by Gravs
Anyone had experience of both and can make a comparison?
Everyone will have an opinion, and TMMV, but my take is: 987.2 Spyder > Carrera T > 981 Spyder

987.2 Boxster Spyder: a high point in terms of "more than the sum of its parts" in the modern era of Porsche, but comes with compromise in terms of practicality
Carrera T: has shades of the 987.2 Spyder in its goldilocksness and one of Porsche's very best engines + none of the downsides in practicality
981 Boxster Spyder: improved over the 987.2 Spyder in every way, possibly more entertaining on the street than the GT4, but lost some of the magic of the 987.2 Spyder

Last edited by stout; 02-10-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
It took a 600-800 mile back-to-back drive to ferret out the real dynamic differences between Carrera and Carrera T, and all I can say is the T is very special indeed.
Have owned several GT cars but have to agree with you guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 911 Carrera T