Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 11:27 AM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Very intrigued by the T as there are a few for sale around Dallas. I track a 350R as a dedicated track car but have the itch as my goal has always been a 991.1 GT3 (prices are coming down and the engine warranty is awesome). Sounds like if my primary purpose is tracking - GT3 all the way? I used to have a base 997.1 that I tracked and loved it. Of course, either way - LWB's are a must for me.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:29 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Test drove the T yesterday at local P car dealer.

Wow.

Impressive.

5k off MSRP without asking. With a little work got 10k off.

992 T will be produced so I am guessing they want to move these.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...carrera-t-992/

My trade value was terrible so I passed on the deal. As soon as i sell my 08 997 a T will be added to my garage.

Last edited by 996AE; 02-02-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:54 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by 996AE
Test drove the T yesterday at local P car dealer.

Wow.

Impressive.

5k off MSRP without asking. With a little work got 10k off.

992 T will be produced so I am guessing they want to move these.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...carrera-t-992/

My trade value was terrible so I passed on the deal. As soon as i sell my 08 997 a T will be added to my garage.
I expect the 992 T will be, by definition, rather anti-T. It will be the wide body, as the narrow-body, quite sadly, is no more. And it will be notably heavier. And it will surely have much more tech and nannies.

As to your other comment, it seems like every time a dealership offers me decent discounting the trade value they offer me is particularly low. They really know how to get you one way or another.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:52 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Yep. And same goes for even the "mere" Carrera. They're closer than most people realize...

Drove my first Carrera 7MT to SFO to fly to the Carrera T/GT3 Touring event in South of France, and found the only obvious differences were the shifter (notably nicer), cabin sound (a bit nicer), and LSD (nice, but the rear-engined Carrera rarely has issues with putting power down). SPASM didn't seem as different from PASM as it had in the 991.1 era...as though it's a matter of aesthetics more than substantive tuning differences—something an engineer confirmed as part of the 991.1 > 991.2 progression, making the standard setup keener and the sport setup more livable according to customer feedback. The T seemed to me to be a marketing move with a goofy name, albeit a very nice package.

Drove the very same Carrera 7MT to a Carrera T/718 GTS event in Napa several months later, and found the handling differences hard to parse from one day to the next, this on great roads I know well. The T was brilliant in both basic 7MT and loaded PDK w/RAS forms, two different flavors. But then, so is the Carrera…

It wasn't until we took a Carrera 7MT and a Carrera T 7MT for a 700~mile loop test for 000 that the Carrera T set itself apart, and its advantages were obvious albeit still pretty subtle. It was a fun test, and while one of us preferred the T, two of us actually preferred the Carrera (but not for reasons that most people would value). Thus, the T "won"—but not by much.

For my second Carrera (a potential keeper), I was torn between a PTS Carrera or a Carrera T...as I wanted SPASM and LSD, but prefer my 911s in dark green and didn't love PSE or the T's forced branding hits and mandatory gray wheels. It was a 51/49 situation...

^ Interesting feedback. Love observations of subtleties like this. Need to look for/at that next time I am in a GT3 6MT.

^ Yep. Add PCCB (I would), RAS, and/or LWBS (I wouldn't) and things only get closer.

As for what you've got bolded? Just as I view Guards Red as the new PTS, I've wondered if the CT is in some ways the new GT—a driver's car for those who don't much care if there's "something better/faster" out there, and will use the car without guilt. It's no GT3, but it's pretty appealing as its own ball of wax and a very complete, all-uses 911.
Pete - just about to lock down my T order and I'm vacillating between White and GR. The new PTS? Nice! Any more thoughts on this?

Old 02-03-2019, 11:04 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Pete - just about to lock down my T order and I'm vacillating between White and GR. The new PTS? Nice! Any more thoughts on this?

I have guards and love it. Not normally a guards fan, but it works on this car. A classic Porsche color that fits the T to a T.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

I went for the Guards Red and have zero regrets.

White and yellow are two other colors where the car just looks stunning.

In silver the graphics, titanium gray trim and wheels get lost. Same with black.

Miami can look great but I could not commit to it.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:56 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Fortunately I am able to pair my T with a GT car, and sincerely hope that I'll always have the means to do that. However, if I had to go to one 911 (Gasp!) it would be the T, hands down, no contest. I've had every machination of 991 GT car there is, and as we know they are incredible cars. However, what the T does far better is the essence of the 911. Not just livable, but an absolute joy to drive around town, even more fun in the mountains, capable on the track. I thought the T was a 60-90 day hold while the next GT arrives, but the damn car flipped my sports car priorities upside down. I instantly connected to the car and immediately started thinking I may never sell this one. Plus my T "only" set me back $98k.

Where the T falls short would be on the track. I've never tracked it... may do it at some point just to see what it's like. With the base Carrera brakes, lower power, and much lower overall grip, I don't know how I'd feel about it. If I was going to the track regularly, a GT would make a ton more sense. But, the majority of my driving is around town and into the mountains, where the T shines.

I was talking to the new head of Sports Cars for PCNA at the 992 preview event at PEC a couple weeks ago... We discussed the fact that with such low volumes (far lower than even GT2RS) and the fact that the T is the last narrow body "special" 911, it ironically could be the future classic. I certainly won't drive it like a classic - about to cross 4000 miles in 3 months of ownership. I sat in the 992 at PEC, and felt they will not be able to extract the charm of the T out of it... minimalist, analog, pure. I don't see it happening.

I know as cofounder of Smokies and on a GT board this seems like blasphemy, but go drive a T with a manual, RAS and 4 ways (nothing else needed) and try to tell me it's not hilariously fun. The car is far more than the sum of its parts - it seems like a parts bin special, but it is such a great combo of GT elements, everyday drivability and unique packaging that it just never gets old.
Thanks so much for posting this. Your head is exactly where mine is. My GT3 is awesome (the engine!!) but I find myself not driving it as much as I should. I think it's compromised some of the livability and utility that, now I really see as a important, defining characteristic of the 911 DNA.

My questions to owners of both the T and GT3 are:
  • Hows the cabin noise level compared with the GT3, particularly at highway cruise speeds?
  • How's the ground clearance on the nose compared to the GT3? I understand there's two front fascia options on the T - one of them looks like it would scrape more easily than the other.
Thanks in advance for your answers
Old 02-03-2019, 11:59 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

My local dealer said no more 2019 t orders

Anyone hear differently?

Newport Beach Porsche has 4 t cars on lot. Two gt silver, one yellow and one white.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:03 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _fletch
Thanks so much for posting this. Your head is exactly where mine is. My GT3 is awesome (the engine!!) but I find myself not driving it as much as I should. I think it's compromised some of the livability and utility that, now I really see as a important, defining characteristic of the 911 DNA.

My questions to owners of both the T and GT3 are:
  • Hows the cabin noise level compared with the GT3, particularly at highway cruise speeds?
  • How's the ground clearance on the nose compared to the GT3? I understand there's two front fascia options on the T - one of them looks like it would scrape more easily than the other.
Thanks in advance for your answers
Highway noise in the T is lower than GT3, but not by much. There is reduction of insulation in the T and thinner gorilla glass. If I had one issue with the T it would be highway noise, even though it's not at GT3 levels.

I don't have the sport design kit, don't like it as I think the black base T front splitter is awesome looking. Compared to a GT3, it's like driving an SUV. I've scraped just once and don't find myself engineering new entries to places unless it's just obviously a tough spot. The time I scraped, it was a boneheaded move trying to enter a driveway that was much too steep and I knew it. The sport design, IMO, looks worse and takes away from the day to day joys of driving a T as it seems lower.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
With your last breath, I sincerely doubt "I regret getting the GT3" will be among your thoughts....

You chose well. The 4.0 flat six is 250 GTO V12 good, despite half the cylinders. Maybe better. A real masterpiece...and the rest of the car ain't bad either.
Glad to hear I made the right choice. Then again, it only made sense since the GT3 is not going be my daily driver. Certainly, when it comes time to look for a new daily, the 991 T will be considered based on the love it seems to be getting in this thread.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:05 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996AE
My local dealer said no more 2019 t orders

Anyone hear differently?

Newport Beach Porsche has 4 t cars on lot. Two gt silver, one yellow and one white.
There was a dealer in the SE that was looking to swap a 992 allocation for a buildable T, which tells me there are very few if any T slots left.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:25 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Highway noise in the T is lower than GT3, but not by much. There is reduction of insulation in the T and thinner gorilla glass. If I had one issue with the T it would be highway noise, even though it's not at GT3 levels.

I don't have the sport design kit, don't like it as I think the black base T front splitter is awesome looking. Compared to a GT3, it's like driving an SUV. I've scraped just once and don't find myself engineering new entries to places unless it's just obviously a tough spot. The time I scraped, it was a boneheaded move trying to enter a driveway that was much too steep and I knew it. The sport design, IMO, looks worse and takes away from the day to day joys of driving a T as it seems lower.
Thank you for the really helpful info!!! Rusnak has a T on the lot - I think i'm going to take it for a test drive based on the posts in this thread. It will be a really tough decision to get rid of the GT3T
Old 02-03-2019, 01:06 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by _fletch
Thank you for the really helpful info!!! Rusnak has a T on the lot - I think i'm going to take it for a test drive based on the posts in this thread. It will be a really tough decision to get rid of the GT3T
If your GT3T is not your DD and you do not need the money- I think you nuts to trade it. No matter how good people post about it - it is still not a GT3 and the 4.0 NA is so special that you may/will regret this down the road
Old 02-03-2019, 04:22 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993

Whooo. Never easy, is it?

I gotta say modern Porsches look great in Guards Red (the formula has changed 1970s/1980s > 986/996 era > now), and I was really surprised how good the Carrera T looked in GR at the U.S. launch with the gray mirrors and gray wheels (the latter pick up a hint of the GT4 launch cars). T is also very nice in White. Decisions, decisions....

To my real surprise, I also like Lava on the T and other NB Carreras—where I have zero interest in it on other models. Something about the milder body makes it work—and Lava is perhaps the most "special" color of those I like. Certainly the most unusual in the world at large. So, for me it would come down to GT Silver, White, Black (also good...but high maintenance), GR, or Lava. Three of those are "free," one is $700 (and low maintenance) and one is $3k. GR is no cost, sure to be fairly rare, a classic Porsche color, and looks great. Yeah, I might be tempted to go that way...
Old 02-03-2019, 04:24 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
If your GT3T is not your DD and you do not need the money- I think you nuts to trade it. No matter how good people post about it - it is still not a GT3 and the 4.0 NA is so special that you may/will regret this down the road

^ I tend to agree with this. While I think there are a lot of people out there in GT3s who would actually be happier in 991.2 Carrera-line cars (and drive them more often), the GT3 is an experience that is effectively unparalleled and rarely matched on four wheels. If the car is for blowing the cobwebs out, the GT3 is very hard to beat.

Truly, we are spoiled for choice right now...

Quick Reply: 911 Carrera T