The "Unofficial" 991.2 GT3 Production Number Stats

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 10:30 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
Obviously for all colors selected. Any given color of PTS would still be an incredibly small percentage of all colors so 25% for PTS is meaningless. The data suggest (extrapolated) that there are only about 70 PTS Tourings in N. America assuming similar ratios of PTS allocations as winged versions.
texascarlover,

If you scroll up a few posts you will see as of about a week ago there were 123 PTS tourings for North America.

I have about 70 identified as of now on the “registry” (attached image) although some have not yet been delivered (in yellow) so I am finding about half (which is pretty good I think).

But I agree with your point, even a very popular PTS color is still an extremely small fraction of production.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:41 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
Obviously for all colors selected. Any given color of PTS would still be an incredibly small percentage of all colors so 25% for PTS is meaningless. The data suggest (extrapolated) that there are only about 70 PTS Tourings in N. America assuming similar ratios of PTS allocations as winged versions.
Originally Posted by evilfij
texascarlover,

If you scroll up a few posts you will see as of about a week ago there were 123 PTS tourings for North America.

I have about 70 identified as of now on the “registry” (attached image) although some have not yet been delivered (in yellow) so I am finding about half (which is pretty good I think).

But I agree with your point, even a very popular PTS color is still an extremely small fraction of production.
I think the point being made is that while a specific PTS color will be a very small percentage of all production, the fact that a car is PTS will be more common than any other specific color. A lot of guys here desire/value PTS for the sake of PTS. When 25% of all production is PTS, I would think some of the ‘specialness’ of PTS is lost. Also, que the ‘why are there so many PTS GT3s for sale’ threads.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 162 Posts

I'd really like to break out PTS into the actual colors, but it'd be hard to do without associating the color to the VIN. My data lists that a car was built with a custom color, but not the actual color.

I did a quick pass of the internet and came up with VINs for 23 PTS cars that were/are for sale. Montoya (google doc) and evilfij have the 2 best lists of PTS cars (~150-ish cars), but they don't have VINs associated with them.

We can either add a "VIN" column to Montoya's Google Doc or folks can PM their PTS VINs. If we get enough of a critical mass (~100 cars) I can start breaking the colors out for those that are curious.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:33 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Ryan,

Can you break out between metallic and non-metallic easily? That might be interesting. Same with chrome v. Black on the touring.

It would be a ton of work, but part of what I did with my list was to list other options and dates when first seen so you or me might be able to back into a number of the VINs with the build sheets. I have taken a brute force approach to compiling NA PTS Tourings by essentially scouring the internet for them and listing them as I find them (the visual options I list are to minimize duplicates). When deliveries are complete, I hope to have at least half and, maybe, overtime we will find more as they pop up for sale or someone comes to RL or Instagram.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:46 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO
I think the point being made is that while a specific PTS color will be a very small percentage of all production, the fact that a car is PTS will be more common than any other specific color. A lot of guys here desire/value PTS for the sake of PTS. When 25% of all production is PTS, I would think some of the ‘specialness’ of PTS is lost.
PTS is not a color, it is a class, or grouping if you will. In fact, there are likely well over 100 individual colors within that classification, so uniqueness and 'specialness' as you denote it still stands IMO (some are truly 1-of-1).

If one considers PTS rightfully as a 'grouping', then to be consistent one needs to group the rest of the colors for a fairer comparison.

White/Off-White (W + CWM + Ch): 758+
Silver/Gray (GTSM + RSM +AGM): 491+
Red (GR+CR): 342+
Blue (Sapphire, GBM + MB): 306+
Black (JBM and B): 264+
Yellow/Orange (RY + LO): 104+

PTS: 428+

In overly simplistic terms, one is more likely to see 3 Whites/Silvers before sighting a PTS car (of any bespoke color). Or 6+ GT3s of any color before seeing a PTS car. Ask yourself how often that happens, it puts it in perspective PTS is indeed rare, special, and unique in its own right.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:46 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dr. Ferdinand
PTS is not a color, it is a class, or grouping if you will. In fact, there are likely well over 100 individual colors within that classification, so uniqueness and 'specialness' as you denote it still stands IMO (some are truly 1-of-1).

If one considers PTS rightfully as a 'grouping', then to be consistent one needs to group the rest of the colors for a fairer comparison.

White/Off-White (W + CWM + Ch): 758+
Silver/Gray (GTSM + RSM +AGM): 491+
Red (GR+CR): 342+
Blue (Sapphire, GBM + MB): 306+
Black (JBM and B): 264+
Yellow/Orange (RY + LO): 104+

PTS: 428+

In overly simplistic terms, one is more likely to see 3 Whites/Silvers before sighting a PTS car (of any bespoke color). Or 6+ GT3s of any color before seeing a PTS car. Ask yourself how often that happens, it puts it in perspective PTS is indeed rare, special, and unique in its own right.
Clearly PTS is not a 'color' but 'represents' an option which is an exterior paint color. But that's not the point. How often you see a GT3, a specific regular color, etc. isn't the point either.

<2% of GT4's were PTS. If 15% of GT3's are PTS, then, isn't it a fact that a car in the PTS 'grouping' is becoming less unique? If Porsche could get every GT car buyer to pay $12k for paint, do you think they would do that?
Old 12-28-2018, 09:31 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 362 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Ryan,

Can you break out between metallic and non-metallic easily? That might be interesting. Same with chrome v. Black on the touring.

It would be a ton of work, but part of what I did with my list was to list other options and dates when first seen so you or me might be able to back into a number of the VINs with the build sheets. I have taken a brute force approach to compiling NA PTS Tourings by essentially scouring the internet for them and listing them as I find them (the visual options I list are to minimize duplicates). When deliveries are complete, I hope to have at least half and, maybe, overtime we will find more as they pop up for sale or someone comes to RL or Instagram.
I'm looking at paint code 98 for non-metallic PTS and 99 for metallic PTS. Option code 39 for Touring w/ Black Trim and 32 for Chrome Trim.

As far as I can see into the data, I believe it breaks down like this:

Old 12-28-2018, 09:57 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Hi
Originally Posted by BryanCO
Clearly PTS is not a 'color' but 'represents' an option which is an exterior paint color. But that's not the point. How often you see a GT3, a specific regular color, etc. isn't the point either.

<2% of GT4's were PTS. If 15% of GT3's are PTS, then, isn't it a fact that a car in the PTS 'grouping' is becoming less unique? If Porsche could get every GT car buyer to pay $12k for paint, do you think they would do that?
Yes it’s a popular grouping of 100+ other colors. In this gen GT3 PCNA kicked the door wide open to prove to PAG it is a very popular request. In their agreement, PAG acceded to all the PCNA requests. As a consequence the PCNA orders overwhelmed the infrastructure within PAG to handle the PTS option, so much so that they have yet to open up the option for 3RS (IMHO, based on tracking the progress the last 18 months). I still contend that PAG’s infrastructure could be greatly improved so it’s no big deal like for other car manufacturers including those in VAG. But, Porsche is still trying to run their operations like a million unit producer, which doesn’t handle variety well, yet still pretends you can have it your way. You can of course, but when the system doesn’t support it it’s painful.

Originally Posted by ryantt
I'd really like to break out PTS into the actual colors, but it'd be hard to do without associating the color to the VIN. My data lists that a car was built with a custom color, but not the actual color.

I did a quick pass of the internet and came up with VINs for 23 PTS cars that were/are for sale. Montoya (google doc) and evilfij have the 2 best lists of PTS cars (~150-ish cars), but they don't have VINs associated with them.

We can either add a "VIN" column to Montoya's Google Doc or folks can PM their PTS VINs. If we get enough of a critical mass (~100 cars) I can start breaking the colors out for those that are curious.
so the paint code is in the VIN for custom colors....

I haven’t gotten much response to changing the list to registry with VINs.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:05 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ryantt
I'm looking at paint code 98 for non-metallic PTS and 99 for metallic PTS. Option code 39 for Touring w/ Black Trim and 32 for Chrome Trim.

As far as I can see into the data, I believe it breaks down like this:

This is a thing of beauty @ryantt Thanks a lot man!!!

It would be totally awesome if one day you could provide us with a breakdown of Touring (both black and chrome) vs Winged for Non-PTS colors as well.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-28-2018, 10:08 PM
Dot23RS
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

IMO Porsche’s PTS is anything but “paint to sample”. It’s really just an over priced option of having the ability to select from a pre defined list of “approved colors”. Very few if any “PTS” (which its not actually called) colors are 1 of 1. With our new SVR we were able to send in the CKY colors of the exact color we wanted and even officially named the color. Porsche is the king of marketing “rarity” and then collecting record profits.

Last edited by Dot23RS; 12-28-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:18 PM
Andi
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there a similar thread or information source for 991.1 GT3 production numbers? I tried the forum search but didn't find. Thanks in advance! Cheers, Andi
Old 12-30-2018, 08:50 PM
Dot23RS
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Andi
Is there a similar thread or information source for 991.1 GT3 production numbers? I tried the forum search but didn't find. Thanks in advance! Cheers, Andi
991.1 GT NA production.

2016 911R - 323
2016 GT3RS - 1,529
14-16 GT3 - 2,133
Old 12-30-2018, 11:01 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Originally Posted by Andi
Originally Posted by Dot23RS

991.1 GT NA production.

2016 911R - 323
2016 GT3RS - 1,529
14-16 GT3 - 2,133
But no partitioning of the data for the 991.1. There is one for the GT4.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:40 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

I know you guys are pulling other statistics on the GT cars but seeing as I was compiling stats for the 991.2 series thread I figured I'd post this up. U.S. production data only...

Old 01-20-2019, 12:21 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Interesting re: the round numbers for GT3 2018 and 19 deliveries- sounds like planned production numbers and no more (original plan - 2300 units, later adding on 120 2019 models), vs others that are more based on demand and random numbers....of course that theory goes out he window with the GT2RS unless the '18 and final '19 numbers add up to a nice round number like 1200....

Quick Reply: The "Unofficial" 991.2 GT3 Production Number Stats