Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to buy the .1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:20 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

Why we / the market should not want a .1GT3?
Especially now after the extended warranty.

Why the .1GT3 will be 50k less desireable than .2GT3s?
I cant see it.

the guy who think and think and hope and hope - will not drive. During the time he thinks for sure and maybe never.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:44 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
I myself am in the market. Local dealer here had 4 .1 cars in their lot plus 2 RS. One of the cars have been at the dealership so much that it has had an additional 300 test miles since being traded in.

In my opinion, by January the market will soften a bit (winter break) especially in NorthEast and come next summer it will dip only to go up a bit a year or so later.

With all due respect to owners, this car will never hold its value as well as 997s, because there is nothing about it that is unique to it. Initially people used to say porsche will never release another 9000 rpm engine but they did even a better one. New car has PDK as well as better in every other way AND only costs marginally more.

.1s are going for 140k now are tough sell because in a year you can buy the new car for 10-15k more, obviously not fully optioned by you get the point. And they will be available because Porsche will make so many of them like they did with RS. Who in their right mind would get .1 to save $200/month? I know I wouldnt. If you are in the market for these cars, that $200/month is pocket change for you.

lastly, these cars are also different from 997s in a sense, because they are PDK, "some of them" were driven by a very different demographic of people who probably dont know/understand/care much about the engine. A lot of high mileage cars that were driven on highways and not really garage kept and taken care of. Scratches/scuffs all over the place, 4 owner cars under 6000 miles, etc. hardly collectables.
Your prediction is wrong. Do you think in 1 year a .2GT3 will only be $10K-$15K above a .1 GT3.

I have bought every GT3 and RS since the 996(not a 996 RS) and every model has been better. Dont include the limited 4.0.

.2 GT3 Manual will destroy the 997 manual GT3.

A lot dreamers on the forum lately.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:54 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastmd
Your prediction is wrong. Do you think in 1 year a .2GT3 will only be $10K-$15K above a .1 GT3.

I have bought every GT3 and RS since the 996(not a 996 RS) and every model has been better. Dont include the limited 4.0.

suprisingly I have made some predictions a year ago which turned out pretty accurate. People were saying the 2014-2016 cars wouldnt go down more than 5%, "shy under MSRP" was in fact what I heard. Here we are the new car isnt even delivered yet and they are 20% down.

There is a ton of .1 GT3 market (possibly 80%) who are waiting for the .2 to be more available and as soon as they start selling their cars, the market will tank.

this is nothing about "new car destroying the old". Its about supply and demand. The market for GT cars is mostly "i want the best and cant wait" attitude people. They dont care if they lose another 20k just to get the latest toy. Considering you had a few dozen of these, I m sure you are also same. Do you care if your .1 GT3/RS trades 20k less? You just want the .2 and then you will want .2 RS and then whatever the next GT car comes.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:12 AM
Rallybagger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checking the porsche used site, there are 80 .1 GT3's listed at dealers. For comparison there are 49 GTS's

I'm sure that number of .1's will increase as more .2's show up.

Also comparing, most .1's are holding at sticker or slightly above depending on mileage and options. GTS's are looking like a 10-15% hit from sticker. Just looking quickly.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:27 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Rallybagger
Just checking the porsche used site, there are 80 .1 GT3's listed at dealers. For comparison there are 49 GTS's

I'm sure that number of .1's will increase as more .2's show up.

Also comparing, most .1's are holding at sticker or slightly above depending on mileage and options. GTS's are looking like a 10-15% hit from sticker. Just looking quickly.

.1 GTS’s are holding very strong as are the Carrera’s with the .2 having gone Turbo.

Cars.com alone is showing around 70 RS’s and 170 GT3’s (an all time high) for sale. Include ones for sale that aren’t on cars.com you can easily add 50% to those #’s.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:29 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

When to buy the .1??

Buy it today if you want it. You can always wait for the the next price drop and never have a car. These cars will continue to depreciate. If in the market for a .1, I’d wait until next year personally.

The “must have it” GT buyer always wants the latest one. The guys in the second hand market are buyers only at an attractive price which is isn’t anywhere near MSRP for a .1 GT3. Not like the .2 has gone Turbo or has any disadvantages over the .1 It’s a better car in every regard.

The additional warranty will have zero effect on resale values. If anything, it’s a confirmation of potential looming issues to come long term hence Porsche not releasing some press release on it. Will be kept hush hush. Not exactly a positive admitting your shortcomings.

The 991.1 GT3 is a great car. Priced around $120k-$130K with under 20K miles is a great value.

The $150K+ cars will have a tough time selling. There’s a lot of them out there. Believe it or not, the buyers pool is pretty small for these cars at these prices for pre-owned cars.

Last edited by STG; 10-19-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:47 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd

I think its a lot of people with out a GT3 trying to justify to themselves why they don't have a car. There seem to be more people on this forum without GT3/RS than any other respective forum I'm on yet they comment the most on price and seem to have the best crystal ball. My crystal ball doesn't work, but my GT cars do, so while you all pontificate to the n'th degree on values, the rest of us are enjoying our cars on the track, at rallies etc.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:02 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Here are the # of cars for sale on cars.com this morning: Lowest priced 991.1 GT3: $119k. Highest: $179k (dreamer). Remember, these are ASKING prices.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:34 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Here are the # of cars for sale on cars.com this morning: Lowest priced 991.1 GT3: $119k. Highest: $179k (dreamer). Remember, these are ASKING prices.

The car for $119K has 55K miles. That is very high for a 991.1 GT3 compared to rest of market.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:02 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
I think its a lot of people with out a GT3 trying to justify to themselves why they don't have a car. There seem to be more people on this forum without GT3/RS than any other respective forum I'm on yet they comment the most on price and seem to have the best crystal ball. My crystal ball doesn't work, but my GT cars do, so while you all pontificate to the n'th degree on values, the rest of us are enjoying our cars on the track, at rallies etc.
I'm one of those "with out a GT3" and been in the market for a Porsche for quiet some time.

I can't speak on behalf the others but I don't like to pay ADM on any vehicle and with the .2 GT3 being a game changer, a lot of new Porsche owners can finally rejoice and buy a P car w/out getting raped with an over inflated price.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:20 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
Fairly simple to see that those actively shopping and those participating in the market would have a better feel for what that market is doing. If you bought something 3 years ago whether that's a stock, a car, a house etc. and never checked what that marketplace was doing, are you an expert an valuations just because you hold said item?
Old 10-19-2017, 01:49 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Here's one (PTS Arena Red .1 GT3) I like and if I wasn't able to score an . 2 allocation then this would be on my list.

In fact this car was actually listed in RL back in 9/2015 for nearly 20k over msrp when it had 757 miles. It doesn't have the full buckets but if this was attainable now, for under 130k perhaps, it's a good score IMO.

Before: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...arena-red.html

Now:
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2017, 02:14 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stunning color, if it had the right seats I may have gone for it.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:34 PM
PNWDude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
The 991.1 GT3 is a great car. Priced around $120k-$130K with under 20K miles is a great value.
Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
If it is not the spec you want it will never be worth it.
I think both these statements are right on.

I am also one of those who are in the market for one. If the right spec (harder) come along at the right price (easier), I will have my new (to me) car. IMHO, I don't think anyone in the market for a .1 is in a hurry to get one. It isn't a need, it is a toy.

Now let's look at what's on the market. They are mostly sitting between high 130s-mid 150s, and then there are a few that are just ridiculous at 160+.

How big of a difference between that 145-150k 2015 ~10k mile cars to a brand new .2? Let's say I get lucky today and get a MSRP build slot. That's 10-15k more (my build) for a spanking new car, 3 years newer with no miles, full warranty, and no known looming engine issues. You can say getting a MSRP build slot isn't happening. That maybe true right now, but I don't think it will hold true by next summer. And as I look out my windows, winter IS coming. I am in Seattle (Hi Misterwaterfall), we just had our first storm for the season last night. I won't get to enjoy the car much for the next 5-6 months anyway (This may not be as bad for people in other area).

Adding everything up, there are ZERO motivation for me to buy a .1 at those prices. If prices hold (which I doubt), I will just wait to see if I can get a build slot at MSRP next year.

What would get me moving is a car spec'ed I like around 120-130 like STG said earlier. Dealers are getting close, but just not the right spec or color I want.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:45 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a GT car so deprecation depends. Drive .1 and .2 back to back and you have to question the extra 20K or so.

Once out 10 year GTs may still draw close to what MSRP was.

Quick Reply: When to buy the .1?