Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Epic 1st drive today in 981 Spyder (comparison to 991.1 GT3 & GT4)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 08:09 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Epic 1st drive today in 981 Spyder (comparison to 991.1 GT3 & GT4)

As I posted here recently, I just pre-traded my .1GT3 toward .2GT3 (March production), and picked up a new-to-me 981 Spyder to drive meanwhile (and maybe indefinitely, see below...)

Today I went for an epic drive through Ohio's Hocking Hills region on a route I've done many times before in the .1GT3 as recently as last week, and also in my former GT4, which I sold almost a year ago. I thought I'd share my impressions for everyone who, many of whom, I assume, may either have a 981 Spyder or GT4 and are considering to buy a GT3, or who may now have a GT3 and might consider getting a 981 Spyder or GT4 to compliment it.

Same course, same driver, different cars. Here goes.

First, a couple qualifications. The Spyder has LWB seats, and my GT3 and GT4 had sofas; certainly this influences perception. Also, the Spyder, unusually so, has brand new Pirelli Trofeo R tires (came that way), while my GT3 and GT4 had stock MPSC2 tires; certainly this also influences things, more than likely helping to improve the Spyder's handling vs. what it would have been on stock tires, bringing it closer to the wider-tired GT3 and GT4 with MPSC2's. Weather today was perfect... 70 degrees and sunny with a slight early fall chill in the air.

1. Of the 3 cars, Spyder sounds best... Chalk it up to the thin cloth top and open-air driving, but the sound of the engine revving from 4-7Krpm as you drive through the forest on twisty undulating roads is simply intoxicating, even with top up due to the uninsulated top on Spyder vs. regular Boxster, but truly epic with the top down. Lots more rasp and growl than in a closed (or even windows-down) GT4. GT3 sounds second best, especially it's more high-pitched tonal sound when it gets on high revs and its super-quick PDK shifts.

2. Manual rules for pure driving fun and involvement... When I took the course last week in the GT3 with PDK, I was thinking, "Damn, this is good. Am I going to miss this?" as I rapidly up and down-shifted around tight turns revving it out, white knuckled. But today, I savored the 6-speed short stick shift and easy clutch, which I never once missed or felt clumsy using. Did I shift as often as in the GT3? No. Spent most of the time in 3rd gear, occasionally unshifting to 4th on straights and 2nd on very tight turns. Was I slower? Who cares?! It was more fun and exciting.

3. For grip and ultimate speed, the GT3 still takes it, no contest... How could it be a contest. GT3 has far wider tires, more rear weight bias that helps dig in on corner exits, and way more power. Having said that, I smiled more while driving the Spyder today than the GT3 last week. But driving the GT3 fast is more exhausting because you're keenly aware of how fast you're going.

4. The Spyder feels faster than GT4, and regardless, is certainly more fun to drive off track than GT4... Spyder is objectively lighter than GT4, but probably not by enough to make an objective difference in speed. The operative word is FEELS faster. This is no doubt due to the sound with top down (or up) and the sense of connection to the outside in an open top car. One could argue that a Spyder is less practical than GT4. Probably true, but who's going to push either one hard in the rain or cold? About the only case I could make for a GT4 vs. a Spyder is for on-track, where GT4's better aero, bespoke suspension from GT3, and wider tires would likely improve it's handling and lap times, or if you're going to use it as a DD, in which case the GT4's hard top and hatchback trunk are more practical than Spyder.

5. Spyder suspension, which isn't adjustable, is Goldilocks perfect... Comfortable, compliant, yet firm and great when pushed hard. Why can't Porsche make suspension this good on all its cars? By comparison, GT4 seems firmer, even in normal suspension setting. GT3 firmer still. Also, GT4 has bespoke suspension (lifted directly from GT3 for front, and custom-designed for GT4 at rear) vs. Spyder, which does not (I supposed Spyder's suspension is essentially same as what you'd get on a 981 Boxster GTS with the "Sport" suspension option?). Despite this, I couldn't tell any difference in terms of lack of agility on the Spyder vs. the GT4 (at least based on my memory of the GT4). I felt the same confidence at high speeds in high corners and undulating roads.

6. When driven in normal mode gently, Spyder is a pussycat.... Compared to GT3, which I found hard to drive smoothly around town at slower speeds despite its PDK automatic, Spyder, like GT4, is quiet and smooth to drive around at pedestrian speeds or to cruise long distances on the highway. GT3 always feels a bit frenetic, even when you aren't trying to drive it that way.

7. The Trofeo R tires are fantastic, at least so far (new, warm weather, dry pavement)... Great grip and turn in. Soft ride. Not too loud. Would have to do side by side to be more precise, but they feel as good or better than the MPSC2's on the GT4 and GT3. If I had to guess, they are probably better than MPSC2 and helped to narrow the gap there'd otherwise be between the more narrow-tired Spyder and the GT4, which not only has wider tires but supposedly better suspension, too.

8. The LWB seats were great... I was afraid I'd find them uncomfortable after an extended drive, but no. Back feels perfectly fine, and felt comfortable the whole time in them, except that I had no room to adjust side to side (that's the point, I suppose) and they are more of hassle to get into and out of, but not too bad. I'm 5'8" and 240ls, so not so fit. Yet I still fit in these seats. Besides comfort, the seats definitely go lower than sofas and improve the sense of connection to car and road. Not harsh in any way, though.

9. Spyder (like GT4) feels a lot smaller when driving it than GT3... I suppose this is just confirmation of how 911 is bigger car than Boxster/Cayman, but yeah, when driving the GT3 you're much more aware of the larger size of the vehicle. I suppose this ads a bit to the feeling of solidity and luxury in GT3 vs. Spyder/GT4.

10. Spyder gets attention, in a good way. When I stopped at Ash Cave, several small children immediately surrounded the car and asked if they could take pictures. This didn't happen with the GT3, which tended to get more attention from older guys. Spyder looks rare and exotic. People don't know what it is (rear deck says PORSCHE Spyder, not Boxster). The fairings are unique to this model. And the top, when up, looks very unique too. By comparison, Cayman and GT3 look like hot-rodded versions of well-recognizable cars.

Before I started my drive today, I found a spider resting on my Spyder.

White spider on the white Spyder.

Entrance to Ash Cave Park along OH 56.

Ash Cave

Ash Cave

Drove up to Lake Hope State Park on OH 278.

Lunch on their terrace....

...overlooking Lake Hope
Old 10-18-2017, 08:13 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

man, i want a spyder so bad....
Old 10-18-2017, 08:16 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great post, thank you for sharing.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:05 PM
ramseyGT3
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lapis, thanks for the review of the Spyder!

You touched on the manual in your Spyder. Which makes me curious as to what transmission you ordered in your .2GT3.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:49 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Lapis a refreshing thread to read

Nice conveyance of a great day

In a fun p car,

Posts like yours keep the RL gang coming back for more.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:14 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ramseyGT3
Lapis, thanks for the review of the Spyder!

You touched on the manual in your Spyder. Which makes me curious as to what transmission you ordered in your .2GT3.
manual. touring.

If had wanted PDK, would have just kept the .1, especially now with the 10yr warranty on engine for finger lifter issue. Haven’t driven .2GT3 yet, of course, but from what I think I know about it, hard to justify the cost of upgrading otherwise.

if I were ever to get an RS, even if available with manual, I’d think that would be the car to have with PDK-S, since it’s use would be far more track focused.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Nice write up. And to think my Spyder was a consolation prize for not getting a GT4 allocation. 2 years in, and no regrets. Spyder is best/most fun street car I’ve ever owned.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Cay911
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Your Post will have me out on the "Twisties" in my backyard Today!
Old 10-19-2017, 09:44 AM
RWR
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for posting it.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:13 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The spyder is one of the most under the radar porsches on the road , when I bought mine January of 2016 nobody wanted them, the dealer gave me 8% off to get it out of his inventory

One of my favorite cars I have ever owned

Plan on keeping that car indefinitely
Old 10-19-2017, 02:48 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I've been curious how well a .2GT3 would make as a DD, so I like hearing comparisons like this.

I'm curious to see how your impressions might change once you've driven a GT4/GT3 with LWBs. I know these seats can be polarizing on the forums, but IMO they completely transform the feel of any car they are in. I love these seats.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:43 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

Great thread. While I have not had a 991.1 GT3, I will say that the Spyder is the perfect size, power and grip level. Sensational car and mine is certainly a keeper.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:28 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Completely agree, Lapis - went from 991.1 GT3 to a Spyder and have not looked back. However; I do very much look forward to adding a 991.2 GT3 manual to the stable - I think that and a Spyder are a great combo!
Old 10-19-2017, 08:44 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 981 Spyder

Great pics and write up! Seems funny to me that those who have a 981 Spyder seem to oversell the car in posts similar to this one. However, for the most part, it's so true. Coming from a .1 GT3, I never thought I'd feel this way about mine. The car seems to hit the main automotive nerve of many people. I bought mine as a place holder for a .2 GT3 or RS but, I'm frankly, not sure now. All good, enjoy!
Old 10-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Excellent post re: your impressions of
the 981 Spyder vs the gt4 & the .1 991
gt3! Enjoy it in good health!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale

Quick Reply: Epic 1st drive today in 981 Spyder (comparison to 991.1 GT3 & GT4)