Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 R

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:03 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello Archimedes, hope all is well with you. I think the ADM is just the effect of how special or great the "Sum of Parts" is for this 911R. Many cars will be made similar to the qualities of this 911R, but as far as I know there is only one 911R model.

I hope the day comes when you are able to acquire one for yourself and for you to experience first hand what this car can do to "tingle" inner sensations in you.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Archimedes
That blue R above makes my naughty bits tingle. Why oh why couldn't these cars just have a normal ADM attached to them...
Old 10-19-2017, 02:44 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
If you guys think these are going under 300k you guys are nuts. And its EASILY my favorite modern car I've ever owned, and even more...I think it's absolutely worth the 400k. Best part is, no one needs to agree with me, though I'm thinking most owners might. No other car has the mix or feel the R does. It's pure fun with a dash of exclusivity that makes it even more appealing. I don't think they are going to change much from the 360-385k range for basic cars (not includiing the DMFW sofa versions) in the short term and they aren't going to be doing anything other than going up in the long term anyways. And If I'm wrong...whatever, still worth the price of admission all day long.
More special and fun than a 997.2 RS?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:08 PM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Yes my apology, I didn't intend that at all, definitely did not intend to be patronizing. I was just thinking more in terms of how avid gearheads get about brands and cars in general, and how brands maximize this subjectivity to their advantage. I was responding to mech33's placebo effect comment In very general terms..

to make up for it.. here's an awesome video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkgS2lU7FUQ
No problem and thanks. And I agree most of us have fallen for brand spin at times. It can get tribal!

Old 10-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Hello Archimedes, hope all is well with you. I think the ADM is just the effect of how special or great the "Sum of Parts" is for this 911R. Many cars will be made similar to the qualities of this 911R, but as far as I know there is only one 911R model.

I hope the day comes when you are able to acquire one for yourself and for you to experience first hand what this car can do to "tingle" inner sensations in you.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Maybe someday, but likely not. I don't expect prices are coming down much over the long term and I'm fearful I won't have garage space for it anyway. But you know what they say about plans and God, so ya never know.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:24 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by DK7
More special and fun than a 997.2 RS?
Absolutely, I've had both. RS was great, but there is no way I'd want to drive it every day. The R is actually a bit softer and less focused. That's probably why I like it so much.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:26 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Maybe a part of the reason I love the R so much is that its the only car that I havent felt the need to tweak anything in the running gear at ALL (I did a muffler bypass but that's subjective). Nearly every other car I've ever had I've always changed things. Suspension pieces, settings, tuning, full exhaust, tires etc etc. This is the first car that short of literally dropping the muffler for the most part...I couldn't imagine making it any better. The new GT3 will be what a new GT3 is. Buttoned up tight, badass, super fast and super grippy. What I doubt it will have is the same character as the R does. All those little changes that some people think are no big deal...but if you were to ever go and try to replicate it could you ever? Unless you're best friends with AP or one of the family, I don't think you'll ever get the tuning on the RWS or the engine mapping, the SWFW on a 991 is no small thing to integrate...long past the days of the 996 and 997 ease. Can you have the steering programmed on the new Gt3 to be as light and playful but still responsive as the R? Can you have the brake servos changed or altered to have it give the old school feedback with the ceramics that the R's have? That's leaving aside the body panels totally aside for now (which I think is such a cool aesthetic for the hood and roof. It's a whole package that no matter how much twisting and turning, the only way you could replicate is by actually buying an R. Now, I'm SUPER pumped to check out some of my friend's touring cars when they come, and I'll have an open mind about it without a doubt, because if anything I'm thrilled others will get to have as much fun with their gt3 as I do with the R. But there is no doubt in my mind what-so-ever, it's completely one of a kind...or one of 991
Yes, to pretty much everything, minus SWFW (not seeing what it is). You only need the name of the parts and buy them. The steering has a module as the rws has, you can literally swap them. Servo too, didn't know it was a different servo to the RS or GT3.

But I don't even think it will be needed, the RWS will be better tuned for the new GT3, the steering too, you will know tho.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:00 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I'm sure the GT3 will be great. That takes nothing away from an R. An R, BTW is not necessarily compared to a 2018 car as it is compared to a 2016 GT3RS. That's the apples to apples comparison...same engine different tires, different aero, different geometry.

I have not driven a 2018 GT3. But i have plenty of time in the 2016 RS and I can say that my radio delete R is a better twisty road car (the way I like to drive it) or hooligan car than the RS is. Therefore it is more fun. The RS is definitely faster on track. The R has the best manual gearbox. The RS has the best PDK gearbox.

A touring GT3 - with the debate over xyz facts and lap times or drag times or collector status blah blah...that's going to be compared to the 2018 GT3, and 2019 RS and 2020 992 etc.

Fair or not, the R is going to get compared to the 73RS, the 964Rs, 993 RS, 997 4.0, etc. Because it's intent was to be a throwback. Well executed by the way!

The 911 R is the new "997 sport classic" to some guys and the new 73 Rs to others and the GTS++ to some guys. It's not a 250 GTO.

Don't be mad at those of us that drive our 911R's. We are using as Frank and Andy P intended. "We just living life"

Be mad all you want at the flipper vip guys. They hoarded, they took your car.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm sure the GT3 will be great. That takes nothing away from an R. An R, BTW is not necessarily compared to a 2018 car as it is compared to a 2016 GT3RS. That's the apples to apples comparison...same engine different tires, different aero, different geometry.

I have not driven a 2018 GT3. But i have plenty of time in the 2016 RS and I can say that my radio delete R is a better twisty road car (the way I like to drive it) or hooligan car than the RS is. Therefore it is more fun. The RS is definitely faster on track. The R has the best manual gearbox. The RS has the best PDK gearbox.

A touring GT3 - with the debate over xyz facts and lap times or drag times or collector status blah blah...that's going to be compared to the 2018 GT3, and 2019 RS and 2020 992 etc.

Fair or not, the R is going to get compared to the 73RS, the 964Rs, 993 RS, 997 4.0, etc. Because it's intent was to be a throwback. Well executed by the way!

The 911 R is the new "997 sport classic" to some guys and the new 73 Rs to others and the GTS++ to some guys. It's not a 250 GTO.

Don't be mad at those of us that drive our 911R's. We are using as Frank and Andy P intended. "We just living life"

Be mad all you want at the flipper vip guys. They hoarded, they took your car.
The most candid post I have read in some time
Old 10-19-2017, 10:45 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
The most candid post I have read in some time
Old 10-19-2017, 11:02 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

Nice write up, and I'm looking forward to my Touring car, regardless of the comparisons. I'm even willing to concede, wait for it...

"an R is an R."
Old 10-27-2017, 08:51 PM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry for the double post but I am sure it will be of interest to some.

Received an email to confirm Tag 911R book now available for pre-order.

Specific numbers of the limited print run can be requested.

http://www.tag-motorbooks.com/books/...nglish-edition
Old 10-27-2017, 08:59 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DJM48
Sorry for the double post but I am sure it will be of interest to some.

Received an email to confirm Tag 911R book now available for pre-order.

Specific numbers of the limited print run can be requested.

http://www.tag-motorbooks.com/books/...nglish-edition
Yep, got the same email earlier and book ordered. Looks terrific.
Thx
Jeff
Old 12-29-2017, 06:46 PM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Book is superb.

Details story behind the 1967 R then moves on to chronicle the story of the modern car from conception to production, Thorough engineering details with cutaway diagrams and photos. All the marketing materials are included and then all of the colours including the full range of the PTS cars. Lastly, each individual car is listed with specfications and options.

This is interesting data.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:04 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder what the last row "without country spec. equipment" means.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:57 AM
Reza
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
I wonder what the last row "without country spec. equipment" means.
I'd say, something along the lines of museum cars, or special cars for Porsche staff (i.e. Walter Rohl etc.)

Quick Reply: 911 R