Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing front radiator intake grill.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Replacing front radiator intake grill.

Passengers radiator grill popped out after I hit a traffic pylon. It looks to be fine but I have no idea how to get it back. Almost looks like the bumper needs to be removed and replaced from the back.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:09 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Passengers radiator grill popped out after I hit a traffic pylon. It looks to be fine but I have no idea how to get it back. Almost looks like the bumper needs to be removed and replaced from the back.
Thanks in advance.
Correct
Old 10-17-2017, 01:48 AM
C6 ZED
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just removed and re-installed the front clip (apron) on my 997.2 GT3. Assuming the clip on our 991.1 GT3 is more or less similar my advice is DON'T remove it yourself. Ask a pro if it can be put back from the outside. If it has to come off, pay a pro and watch. The electrical wires on each side aren't too hard to deal with but the water hose for the headlight spray nozzles is a nightmare - on the 997.2 the rubber hose feeds from one side and the logical place to disconnect is at a plastic Tee so the hose can stay with the clip but it will not come apart even after heating the rubber hose. Total PITA. It is also difficult to replace the clip so the panel gaps remain as before and to not scrape the paint above the turn signals with the sharp ends of the clip when removing and re-installing. Ask me how I know. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:24 AM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Front clip is easy to remove. I’ve done it to clean all the grass and leaves that collect on the radiators.

You will need to remove the black plastic center panel at the front of the front trunk right behind the bumper cover. You’ll have to maneuver around the release for the trunk. It pulls straight up. Pull aside the black side plastic by the headlights and you will see a metal retaining clip which slides out towards the middle of the car. Removing the headlights is easy and can aid in this part- see manual.

Under the center plastic peice are three screws that need to be removed.

Remove the turn signal lights from the bumper. There is a vertical screw that’s connects the bumper to the fender at the back end of the cavity for the turn signal light. To get access there are three screws that hold the fender liner in place that you will need to remove from inside the front wheel well. They run along the outermost part of the liner right next to the bumper cover. Start at the bottom and work up. Pull aside the fender liner and you will see the screw that’s oriented vertically in the turn signal compartment.

The headlight washer hose clip is easy to remove in the 991. Take out the left headlight. There is a coupling that is easily accessible. Remove the small retaining clip and the coupling pulls apart. The hose to the bumper is held in by a small bracket on the fender that slides out.

Remove all the screws under the front clip that attach it to the plastic bits underneath. Don’t forget the screws that hold the clip to the bottom of the front trunk underneath the car.

Once all the screws are out pull the bumper gently forward a couple inches. There is an electrical cable on each side behind the headlights that needs disconnected. Pull the fender liner back and you’ll see it. If you have the headlights out it’s easier to access. You’ll have to fiddle with it to disconnect the connector but once you figure out how it disconnects it comes apart easily.

Cover comes straight off then.

Reverse to put it back.

Ok maybe it doesn’t look that easy on paper but in practice it’s not that hard.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by CobaltCr
Front clip is easy to remove. I’ve done it to clean all the grass and leaves that collect on the radiators.

You will need to remove the black plastic center panel at the front of the front trunk right behind the bumper cover. You’ll have to maneuver around the release for the trunk. It pulls straight up. Pull aside the black side plastic by the headlights and you will see a metal retaining clip which slides out towards the middle of the car. Removing the headlights is easy and can aid in this part- see manual.

Under the center plastic peice are three screws that need to be removed.

Remove the turn signal lights from the bumper. There is a vertical screw that’s connects the bumper to the fender at the back end of the cavity for the turn signal light. To get access there are three screws that hold the fender liner in place that you will need to remove from inside the front wheel well. They run along the outermost part of the liner right next to the bumper cover. Start at the bottom and work up. Pull aside the fender liner and you will see the screw that’s oriented vertically in the turn signal compartment.

The headlight washer hose clip is easy to remove in the 991. Take out the left headlight. There is a coupling that is easily accessible. Remove the small retaining clip and the coupling pulls apart. The hose to the bumper is held in by a small bracket on the fender that slides out.

Remove all the screws under the front clip that attach it to the plastic bits underneath. Don’t forget the screws that hold the clip to the bottom of the front trunk underneath the car.

Once all the screws are out pull the bumper gently forward a couple inches. There is an electrical cable on each side behind the headlights that needs disconnected. Pull the fender liner back and you’ll see it. If you have the headlights out it’s easier to access. You’ll have to fiddle with it to disconnect the connector but once you figure out how it disconnects it comes apart easily.

Cover comes straight off then.

Reverse to put it back.

Ok maybe it doesn’t look that easy on paper but in practice it’s not that hard.
Thanks. I have done a Cayman S and a 997.1 so I know what is involved. Was hoping there was some way to avoid that.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:59 AM
CobaltCr
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Unfortunately the way the bracket holds the grill in place makes it so you can’t put it back without removing the bumper. It interfaces with a cone of plastic that attaches to the radiators to force airflow.

Quick Reply: Replacing front radiator intake grill.