991 GT3 Pricing Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 01:33 PM
GT3RUS
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991 GT3 Pricing Question

Hey guys,

Long time GT3 fan and I have quick question on a car I am about to purchase. I have the opportunity to buy my friend's 2015 991 GT3 with about 20.5k miles on it. The car has some great options that I wanted ($150k MRSP: Ceramic Brakes, Axel Lift, LED headlights, sound package, etc). When he bought the car at 7,000 miles he accidentally checked the wrong box (English is his second language) and he marked it not actual miles. That means the title is clean but comes up with an odometer warning on the carfax. Because of this he's willing to discount the price and also sign a statement of fax for me to try and fix the odometer. He's too busy (and wealthy) to care so he was going to trade the car in at $115k to a dealer (I have confirmed with said dealer on this number).

He's offering it to me at the same price 115k so I was wondering what your guys thoughts are. Porsche inspection from the dealership came back clean. My private shop in SoCal also determined the car is in great shape and the odometer is accurate. It also has the remaining factory warranty. Any of your thoughts on the price as well as any thoughts on how it might effect the resell value would be appreciated. I'm planning on keeping the car for 2 years and putting about 18 more miles on it. Potentially longer because this honestly is the best car I've ever driven and I've had ownership and/or long term experiences with a lot of different hight end cars. None gave me the feelings the GT3 did. Hoping to get into the market at this price point but I also don't want to make the wrong choice.

Thank you for any advice and hope to join the GT3 family

PS the car also comes with a $4200 FI exhaust system which I was going to add anyways.

Last edited by GT3RUS; 10-16-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:46 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

If you think the reason for the odo discrepancy is truthful. I'd do it for 115k.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 512 Posts

Can you check the service records on the car? If so keep a copy for your records. I believe it is possible to rectify the documentation problem. Might be something of a painful process but most likely worth the effort.

The other issue I see is with the extended factory warranty for the DLC issue. Hard to predict what Porsche would or would not do for you. Probably worth a phone call to PCNA
Old 10-15-2017, 02:30 PM
GT3RUS
Track Day

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Can you check the service records on the car? If so keep a copy for your records. I believe it is possible to rectify the documentation problem. Might be something of a painful process but most likely worth the effort.

The other issue I see is with the extended factory warranty for the DLC issue. Hard to predict what Porsche would or would not do for you. Probably worth a phone call to PCNA
Yes local Porsche dealership shows the services done there starting at 7,000 miles and last work done was an oil change 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure regarding the DLC but I think Porsche will go by whats on the odometer. But you're absolutely right I will check with PCNA just to be safe.

Just something I notice, the odoemeter record on the carfax is correct as well - it says the first owner accepted the car at 33 miles and by friend bought it at 6800. So nothing out of place. The car reads 20,500 now.

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
If you think the reason for the odo discrepancy is truthful. I'd do it for 115k.
The Odometer issue is truthful both Porsche dealership and GI Automotive have cleared the car and said nothing is wrong with the actual mileage. So his story is accurate. He's also a friend so I didn't suspect any foul place. The PPI came back clean. No accidents and mechanically strong.

Assuming the carfax issue can't be fixed, I think market value for a car like this but with no carfax issue would be 130-135k) for the carfax showing "odometer record problem", is a 15k discount off market value sound like a good deal?
Old 10-15-2017, 04:13 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3RUS
Hey guys,

Long time GT3 fan and I have quick question on a car I am about to purchase. I have the opportunity to buy my friend's 2015 991 GT3 with about 20.5k miles on it. The car has some great options that I wanted ($150k MRSP: Ceramic Brakes, Axel Lift, LED headlights, sound package, etc). When he bought the car at 7,000 miles he accidentally checked the wrong box (English is his second language) and he marked it not actual miles. That means the title is clean but comes up with an odometer warning on the carfax. Because of this he's willing to discount the price and also sign a statement of fax for me to try and fix the odometer. He's too busy (and wealthy) to care so he was going to trade the car in at $115k to a dealer (I have confirmed with said dealer on this number).

He's offering it to me at the same price 115k so I was wondering what your guys thoughts are. Porsche inspection from the dealership came back clean. My private shop in SoCal also determined the car is in great shape and the odometer is accurate. It also has the remaining factory warranty. Any of your thoughts on the price as well as any thoughts on how it might effect the resell value would be appreciated. I'm planning on keeping the car for 2 years and putting about 18 more miles on it. Potentially longer because this honestly is the best car I've ever driven and I've had ownership and/or long term experiences with a lot of different hight end cars. None gave me the feelings the GT3 did. Hoping to get into the market at this price point but I also don't want to make the wrong choice.

Thank you for any advice and hope to join the GT3 family

PS the car also comes with a $4200 FI exhaust system which I was going to add anyways.

seems like a no-brainer to me????

10 year warranty for FF engine issue...who cares about mileage...

$115 is crazy asking price....due diligence is needed as well as PPI by reputable 3rd party---if everything checks out, ok ..congrtas to you...buy of the year
Old 10-15-2017, 05:13 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Good buy, good spec. Does he have any more? lol
Old 10-15-2017, 05:14 PM
PNWDude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really isn't crazy. I am in the hunt for a .1 GT3 as well and spoke with several dealers frankly on what they are taking them in on .2 trades. They aren't even giving 160+MSRP 2015s with <10k miles anything more than mid 120s.

It only seems crazy because the prices are being inflated for so long from dealer ADM and flippers. Personally, I always use dealer trade in prices as the real gauge of what the market is, as it sets the floor of the market; dealer asking price is the ceiling and private parties should be somewhere in between. The OP got a good deal to be sure, but it isn't crazy.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:52 PM
GT3RUS
Track Day

Originally Posted by PNWDude
It really isn't crazy. I am in the hunt for a .1 GT3 as well and spoke with several dealers frankly on what they are taking them in on .2 trades. They aren't even giving 160+MSRP 2015s with <10k miles anything more than mid 120s.

It only seems crazy because the prices are being inflated for so long from dealer ADM and flippers. Personally, I always use dealer trade in prices as the real gauge of what the market is, as it sets the floor of the market; dealer asking price is the ceiling and private parties should be somewhere in between. The OP got a good deal to be sure, but it isn't crazy.
I know what you mean but I'm seeing average of $130-140k on 2015 models with either same mileage or lower but less options. What are you seeing around your area? West coast cars aren't even that low. For $135k deals I would need to go to the east coast and ship it back
Old 10-15-2017, 07:58 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon
---if everything checks out, ok ..congrtas to you...buy of the year
+1 Agreed

Good buy for this car right now!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:51 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

If the mileage is the only issue sounds like a great deal to me.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:57 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by PNWDude
Personally, I always use dealer trade in prices as the real gauge of what the market is, as it sets the floor of the market; dealer asking price is the ceiling and private parties should be somewhere in between. The OP got a good deal to be sure, but it isn't crazy.
That’s not always completely accurate. A trade offer has a lot to do with what car you’re trading in for and how much they’re asking. Case in point my ‘15 GT3 2.5 years old with 8500 miles. Got $3K under the sticker of $141K for a trade on an RS at $18K over that was at the dealer for many months....no way I would have gotten that on any other car. They wanted to move the RS and knew they needed a knock it out of the ballpark trade offer....
Old 10-15-2017, 09:51 PM
PNWDude
Intermediate

@GT3RUS. I am seeing couple '14 sold in the low 120s (one sold at exactly 120), '15s in the low 130s (actual prices they were sold at). And these are good condition, decently optioned cars. Just gotta be patience, know what you want and be ready to buy. I would also recommend checking your local enthusiast groups, believe it or not, a lot of people end up trading in their car for less money they could have gotten just to save the hassle with selling it themselves.

FWIW, I don't mind buying on the east coast as long as the car check out. Shipping it from east to west probably won't run anything more than 2k. Or you can always take a nice long drive back. Road trip across the US can be pretty fun.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:04 PM
SanDiegoDavid
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 60 Posts

Pricing seems about right. I sold my 14 GT3 with 24,000 miles and 36 track days with a MSRP of $159,000 for $120,000 in June, before the COG meeting and announcement of the warranty coverage for the FF issue. Buyer got a great deal! Looking back, perhaps I could have gotten around 130 post engine warranty announcement.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:13 PM
PNWDude
Intermediate

True @shapiroeric. It won't cover all the instances, but its a good rule of thumb. Most of the time dealers won't want to dig themselves in the hole with the next sales. In the end they are just shifting the money around.

And since we are talking about dealer units now, another small thing I do is to look at when the dealer took the car in (You can typically tell with CarFax when they took in the car). A week ago? A month? 3 months? or even longer? @60+ days most dealers would want to move it out, @90+ they start to get pretty aggressive. Going into off season with new year around the corner like we are now, this is even more of a factor. In the end, it is a business, good ole rule of TVM applies. However they finance their inventory, there is no escaping from that.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:47 PM
PNWDude
Intermediate

I bet you this 2016 can be have for around mid 130s if it is still available by the end of the month. Just gotta be patience.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Pricing Question