Sponsored by:

Montana Registration

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 05:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Yup got it ...not sure how a cop would know who lives where unless you went to court. I see guys here in ATL do it .....the ones I know it’s tax fraud as they have no real LLC.
When he asks for your driver's license and it says California, while the plates on your car and associated registration say Nevada. And he's seen the car in California for more than 30 days. Ticket. Burden on you to go to court to prove that you actually reside in Nevada and that you're just visiting California temporarily.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:50 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
When he asks for your driver's license and it says California, while the plates on your car and associated registration say Nevada. And he's seen the car in California for more than 30 days. Ticket. Burden on you to go to court to prove that you actually reside in Nevada and that you're just visiting California temporarily.
Got it NYC never asked why my plates said GA along with license, but it would be cleaners if the license said Montana for those guys.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:52 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Same deal for me...I have a home in CA and NV and I travel between the 2 regularly. I have cars registered in CA, NV, and MT and all of them get driven in CA and NV at some point. Never got why people love getting into other's people business on a car forum.
Not sure bro ...........I use to live in the country called CA. Can never do it again. State taxes are a killer at 13.2%
Old 10-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Recent C & D article:

Old 10-14-2017, 07:02 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

It's pretty easy for the courts to determine where someone is residing from credit statements and ATM activity. Our cell phones are also tracking our location all the time. Was told this directly from a tax attorney. Cars are also tracking their location.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:10 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Why do i get the feeling that this thread needs to be in the Off-Topic section and not in Gt3/GT3RS/911R section?

Anyway as I said before if "Car and Driver" can write about Montana Tax Plates, it just means that the party is over.

I just do not get why people who can afford expensive cars not pool all their resources with their fellow car enthusiasts/friends "spend/lobby/b.." their local politicians to change/improve the law.

Bill Gates lobbied hard and managed to get his 959 out of long term govt storage. LOL.

I won't speaker further here, as this entire thread is going in the direction of Off-Topic
Old 10-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
It's pretty easy for the courts to determine where someone is residing from credit statements and ATM activity. Our cell phones are also tracking our location all the time. Was told this directly from a tax attorney. Cars are also tracking their location.
Meh. No city court is able to subpoena credit statements. State court if they want.

Reality is if you have an license in a state where you don’t live good Luck.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:23 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Most of you have no idea how bad it can get. Washington state is 10% tax, same as normal sales tax (no state income tax though).

That's ok, it all evens out in the end, but they snuck in a "0.8% increase in registration fees" to pay for the light rail project.

To register your car in King county, it costs whatever the little normal fees are plus 1.1% of the MSRP of your car, but on a depreciation schedule.

Year 1, 100% value. Year 2, 95% value. Year 3, 89% value--and this isn't the price you paid, its the MSRP. (for GT cars this might not matter but think of the discounts and depreciation for a normal 911)

And what "year" is your car? Take the current calendar year, subtract the car's year, then ad 1. Bought my car in late 2015, it's a 2016. So after having it for 2 years (when it needs registering the end of this year) I'm in "year one". (2017-2016+1=0) Or maybe I'll also be year one next year? I'd like someone tell me with a straight face that the value of a 2 year old used (non-GT) 911 is 100% of the MSRP.

Nothing against fair taxes, this just seems like bad math. This seems like one time when the Kelly Blue Book could be useful--just take that value instead of something made up.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:24 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Look, we are all big boys and girls here and can understand the risks and rewards of registering a car in MT. Some people are more risk averse and some people are more risk tolerant. I don't need to hear from anyone who I should or shouldn't be doing...I already have a mom and dad for that. I've made my choices and I'll live with the consequences of those choices, simple as that.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:27 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Look, we are all big boys and girls here and can understand the risks and rewards of registering a car in MT. Some people are more risk averse and some people are more risk tolerant. I don't need to hear from anyone who I should or shouldn't be doing...I already have a mom and dad for that. I've made my choices and I'll live with the consequences of those choices, simple as that.
Agree
Old 10-14-2017, 11:00 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanR
He thinks the all money is the governments and they are just letting us keep a bit for ourselves. Typical.
hah well it seems some guys go head hunting vs others trying to help and share experiences.

Car tax is high where I live then add every year property tax full insurance - let's face it we are all nuts - who cares what other owners do it's their money.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 10-15-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:02 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts

+2, now let's lock this thread....
Old 10-14-2017, 11:11 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RUF RS
+2, now let's lock this thread....
Why? What's with the nannies on here always trying to quash discussion? Forget Martin and his particulars. I want to know if there is a legitimate way to do this which is legal and above board. One way I know for certain is if the LLC is a legit business and not a shell corp. The whole point to a Montana LLC is they do not disclose members nor officers, and the car is owned by a distinct entity which if legitimate can not be pierced.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:13 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Why? What's with the nannies on here always trying to quash discussion? Forget Martin and his particulars. I want to know if there is a legitimate way to do this which is legal and above board. One way I know for certain is if the LLC is a legit business and not a shell corp. I whole point to a Montana LLC is they do not disclose members nor officers, and the car is owned by a distinct entity which if legitimate can not be pierced.
The insurance for car then needs to be in LLC and you are a renter

Seems challenging
Old 10-14-2017, 11:42 PM
RUF RS
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
I want to know if there is a legitimate way to do this which is legal and above board.
Buy a place in Montana, and buy the car at a dealership there, OR, buy the car at any dealership that will ship it to you residence. That is exact answer to you question

Quick Reply: Montana Registration