Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at a 991.1 GT3 as a track day car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:23 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm actually considering a GT4 also. Not as fast as GT3 obviously but I can get my feet wet at a lower cost. Anyone have any experience with GT4 on the track?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:41 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

You may want to pop into the GT4 forum.. They seem to have some tranny failures.. Not sure I would want to track an MT car with weak trans..
Oh and most of the local prices are retarded.. They're basically asking MSRP+20k for used gt4.. Hell No!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:43 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 194 Posts

GT4s are brilliant in the canyons and twisties but aren't standing up to track duty. Not by a long stretch.

3rd gear problems prevalent. Front strut tops failing. Car underpowered as is. I'll say it here but not in the GT4 forum--it's good only as a gateway drug to a proper track-capable car.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:55 AM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
GT4s are brilliant in the canyons and twisties but aren't standing up to track duty. Not by a long stretch.

3rd gear problems prevalent. Front strut tops failing. Car underpowered as is. I'll say it here but not in the GT4 forum--it's good only as a gateway drug to a proper track-capable car.
LOL I hope that's true. I'm about to trade my GT4 for my first GT3 and I have so much fun tracking the GT4 that I've questioned why I'm making the trade. Then again, I've never driven a GT3, so I'm looking forward to making the move.

To the OP, without the benefit of comparison, I can say that the GT4 is loads of fun and will hurt a lot of 911 drivers' feelings on the track, including those in 997 GT3s. Most of my experience is on a fairly tight track (Barber) so high speed tracks with long straights and sweepers may be different. And to the extent it matters, everything costs a little less in a GT4. Consumables last longer, you don't need a centerlock tool, etc. I've found it to be a very practical, low-maintenance track day car. But of course my 3rd gear hasn't failed yet either!
Old 10-17-2017, 07:25 PM
csvensso
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I'm selling my late model 2014 GT3 (Oct. delivery) in the 'Vehicle Marketplace' section of Rennlist - please take a look. I have to say the engine has been bulletproof and is a phenomenal piece of engineering - I have driven many high performance cars and have other performance vehicles and for me the GT3 is one of my absolute favourites. If interested then please get in touch, i'm asking $138K but I'm open to close offers.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
I'm actually considering a GT4 also. Not as fast as GT3 obviously but I can get my feet wet at a lower cost. Anyone have any experience with GT4 on the track?
have one of those also (LOL and a 458....BTW nice taste in cars!!!)
It is a superb track car and a better learning tool for car control and more of a "momentum car" than a GT3 or higher hp german or american car.

it is nearly as fast despite's 90 hp less and no RWS or PDK.

more "analog" (buzz word these days since 911R emerged) ...gearbox (once you break and replace 3rd gear) is awesome, engine is sublime, car is easily tossed around and rotated about the middle rather than the pendulum 911 effect...2 different dynamics of driving in these 2 cars....but both great!

again, once the track bug bit, I got a second set of wheels/tires (Pirelli slicks), DSC V2, alignment, toe links, etc..

Quick Reply: Looking at a 991.1 GT3 as a track day car...