Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First World Problems - E/D

Old 10-12-2017, 12:13 PM
bellatrix
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default First World Problems - E/D

So the rumors are true. I had a call this morning from the European Delivery desk from Porsche Canada. There is a regulatory problem in Germany at the moment whereby North American destined cars cannot be registered in Germany, even temporarily. Therefore they can't be licensed / insured. Therefore, you can go and see your car in Leipzig. You can take photos. You can drive a GT3 on the track. You can have lunch. But you can't take your car. They are doing their best to find loaners for people who want them, but they are not able to do that for everyone.

My ability to do a mini "Trakcar" E/D is going to be badly damaged by this, but I am going to make the best of it and consider the fact that I will get my car a month or so sooner, with almost no km on it.

Porsche is going to loan me a Targa 4. They are looking in to whether or not I can drive it on track at a private track day (I guess I can do the tourist days at the 'Ring in any event).

I would not want to be the guy phoning customers to tell them this!

Old 10-12-2017, 12:42 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

It sucks that you can’t pick up your own car. I’m in same boat, given a TT last week in place of my GT3 manual. However, some positives....I’m putting a ton of miles on Porsche’s loaner. I’m driving it probably much more aggressively since it’s not mine. Plus, some of the roads I’ve been down this week I thought “glad this isn’t my car” ... wet blacktop, paint stripes, etc etc. so in hindsight, other then having to wait for my car a bit longer, I’m not too upset...unless it helps me get a GT2, in that case I’m outraged I couldn’t get my own car as expected!!! Enjoy, you’ll still have a blast.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:50 PM
bellatrix
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
It sucks that you can’t pick up your own car. I’m in same boat, given a TT last week in place of my GT3 manual. However, some positives....I’m putting a ton of miles on Porsche’s loaner. I’m driving it probably much more aggressively since it’s not mine. Plus, some of the roads I’ve been down this week I thought “glad this isn’t my car” ... wet blacktop, paint stripes, etc etc. so in hindsight, other then having to wait for my car a bit longer, I’m not too upset...unless it helps me get a GT2, in that case I’m outraged I couldn’t get my own car as expected!!! Enjoy, you’ll still have a blast.
Thanks, all of that is great to know, and makes sense!

Did Porsche do anything else for you? I am scheduled for track days, and they are "looking in" to whether or not I can drive the loaner on track. If not, I presume they will offer to reimburse me or something? The impression I got really was that they will do whatever is reasonable to try to make me (us) happy...
Old 10-12-2017, 12:55 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
The huge draw for me(who doesn't have a GT3 allocation yet) is to drive their actual car on some of those roads and tracks. How cool is it to have the memories and badge of honor among your friends that you drove the car on the Ring and Spa, and now it's in your garage.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
The huge draw for me(who doesn't have a GT3 allocation yet) is to drive their actual car on some of those roads and tracks. How cool is it to have the memories and badge of honor among your friends that you drove the car on the Ring and Spa, and now it's in your garage.

I'm doing ED and that is my issue. How can that be replaced? First world problems I know but this has always been a dream and I don't know how they will replace that. I hope they at least give me a car comparable to a GT3.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:22 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this because of Emission reasons?? Why else?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:11 PM
SteveFrench
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Europe is getting gayer by the day...
Old 10-12-2017, 06:30 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Is this because of Emission reasons?? Why else?

Trump vs Merkel

Having dealt with certification/regulatory agencies, foreign and domestic, in my career it can be a number of reasons: new contact, new regs, etc.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:21 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

I just hope they figure it out by next spring
Old 10-13-2017, 12:17 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

It may be Porsche specific? I met a couple with a new Mercedes a few days ago, obviously they were not effected by this issue.

Another good reason not not to have my own car on ED this week—my daughter vomited in the car during a mountain pass. Not my car!
Old 10-13-2017, 07:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Honestly, with all the issues trying to locate a good pff place close to Leipzig, then having to wait for install, then having to do a proper break-in while actually having to get south and over to Nürburgring and spa and Southern Europe mountain passes etc... having a borrowed car wouldn’t be a bad solution at all.. I’d almost prefer it. Is that what is happening or they are just cancelling ED?
Old 10-13-2017, 07:41 PM
dark knight
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

they re usually pretty helpful, if your car isn't ready and you're still coming they give you a loaner, or they offer to pay your penalties, at least thats what they offered me a few years ago
Old 10-13-2017, 08:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,422 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I just hope they figure it out by next spring
+1 Jamie indicated she thought it would...
Old 10-13-2017, 08:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,422 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Honestly, with all the issues trying to locate a good pff place close to Leipzig, then having to wait for install, then having to do a proper break-in while actually having to get south and over to Nürburgring and spa and Southern Europe mountain passes etc... having a borrowed car wouldn’t be a bad solution at all.. I’d almost prefer it. Is that what is happening or they are just cancelling ED?
I believe they are not accepting any new ED requests currently, it seems that those people that are "in-flight" are getting loaners, those of us with requests for ED next year are in limbo at the moment.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Honestly, with all the issues trying to locate a good pff place close to Leipzig, then having to wait for install, then having to do a proper break-in while actually having to get south and over to Nürburgring and spa and Southern Europe mountain passes etc... having a borrowed car wouldn €™t be a bad solution at all.. I €™d almost prefer it. Is that what is happening or they are just cancelling ED?
When they start allowing ED with your own car again, don’t waste valuable time getting ppf. I bring a roll of temporary Tracwrap and DIY...

http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First World Problems - E/D