Sponsored by:

Porsche Passport sports car subscription plan

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Porsche Passport sports car subscription plan

Hah! At first I thought this might be good, but then realized you only get basic models at the $2,000/mo price point, and even $3,000/mo only gets you a C2S. I suppose it'd have to be $5K/mo or higher by their logic for a GT car. Seems to me as though the pricing is roughly double what it would cost to lease or finance one of the cars on offer at a given rate, which may be worth it if you want to keep switching, but otherwise seems a bit pricey....

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/10/luxu...d=hp-stack-dom

Porsche's new sports car subscription plan

Porsche has announced a new car subscription program that, for a few thousand dollars a month, will allow customers to swap out among a number of Porsche models as often as they like.

For instance, for $2,000 a month, you could choose from a 718 Boxster, a Cayman S, a Macan S or Cayenne SUV. Then you could swap your vehicle for one of the others any time you like.
Using a smartphone app, you'd just let your Porsche dealer know when and where you'd like the new car brought.

Someone would drive your new vehicle out for you, move all your stuff over into it and make sure your radio pre-sets and phone are all set up the way you like them.

The $2,000 monthly fee for Porsche Passport, as it's called, includes insurance, taxes and registration fees.
Porsche reveals fastest 911 ever

For $3,000 a month, your selection includes a more expensive line-up of vehicles such as the Porsche 911 Carrera S, the Panamera 4S sedan, the Macan GTS SUV and the Cayenne S E-Hybrid plug-in hybrid SUV. Those are in addition to all the choices you have at the lower price.

For now, the program is available only in the Atlanta, Georgia, area near Porsche's U.S. headquarters. To join, potential members have to apply using a smartphone app and pass credit and background checks. Porsche is part of the Volkswagen Group (VLKAY).

The program is very similar to General Motors' (GM) Book By Cadillac service which was announced last April. With that service, users are limited to 18 swaps each year for a $1,500 fee. Book By Cadillac is still in a testing mode and GM hasn't begun offering it outside of the New York City area yet.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

MaaS

Whoever nails this first will make a killing
Old 10-11-2017, 03:07 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

if you live in ATL and commute alot, its a no brainer, do it
Old 10-11-2017, 04:09 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

...no brainer especially if there is no fine print regarding use at AMP, RA, etc.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:10 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
...no brainer especially if there is no fine print regarding use at AMP, RA, etc.
This for sure. Ability to track a 911.2 S or a Cayman S for $3K/mth is a nice deal plus the ability to daily it as well.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Originally Posted by tstafford
This for sure. Ability to track a 911.2 S or a Cayman S for $3K/mth is a nice deal plus the ability to daily it as well.
Come on, be real.

They don't let employees do that with their sweetheart lease deals, why would they let a third party do that with a car they aren't even leasing?
Old 10-11-2017, 11:36 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Includes insurance per the article.....is there min monthly time frame.....track rats would pay $6-9K for the summer and beat the living daylights out of a Caymen and turn it in.....there's got to be lots and lots and lots of fine print.....
Old 10-11-2017, 01:29 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Wow, they are the first.. but definitely not the last.. This is the future of motoring. all subscription based purchases and no longer the physical sale of an automobile.
GM took the first step in bridging a relationship with Lyft and soon it will be full steam ahead with all other manufacturers..
This is great news as I have been banking on this for almost 5 years now..

Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Includes insurance per the article.....is there min monthly time frame.....track rats would pay $6-9K for the summer and beat the living daylights out of a Caymen and turn it in.....there's got to be lots and lots and lots of fine print.....
I looked at the Caddilac one in the past and it was very restrictive, from memory you can only keep the same car type for 60 days. Much more limited availability on the V models etc. Really didn't make any economic sense to me and my situation - this one seems pretty similar.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
I would imagine there has to be something in the fine print on this, just like there will be something in there prohibiting use as a taxi, etc. Just imagine, a Cayenne being run around the clock, 90,000 miles a year, for just $2k a month, zero maintenance cost, zero insurance cost. You could eat up a set of tires every weekend at the track. Wouldn't be feasible even for $2k or $3k a month.

Minimum time is 30 days.

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Wow, they are the first.. but definitely not the last.. This is the future of motoring. all subscription based purchases and no longer the physical sale of an automobile.
GM took the first step in bridging a relationship with Lyft and soon it will be full steam ahead with all other manufacturers..
This is great news as I have been banking on this for almost 5 years now..

Cadillac did it first.

I think it very well could be the future, once they get the price right. If it means being able to avoid the horrible dealership experience, I'm all in.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I looked at the Caddilac one in the past and it was very restrictive, from memory you can only keep the same car type for 60 days. Much more limited availability on the V models etc. Really didn't make any economic sense to me and my situation - this one seems pretty similar.
Looking at their website, you can only keep a V car for 5 days at a time, and it's subject to availability. And with Cadillac you only get 18 swaps annually, so at 5 days each, having to swap back into another non-V car after each 5 day period, means at best you might only get 40 days/year in a V.

If you drove a whole lot and could just drive Escalades and CTSVs all the time, it might make some economic sense, but it sounds like that's not the case. I think it only really works if you are in the area and only need it for a couple months' time where the alternative is renting a car at a more expensive daily rate.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:37 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,612 Likes on 1,766 Posts

this is kind of attractive to me - but having some experience with it - if you buy a properly optioned porsche and take care of it - this is way more expensive than the depreciation IMHO…

admittedly you have to be able to "park" the money in the car for some period of time - but my experience with Porsches is that they retain value pretty well and the actual cost once you get your money back out isn't horrible - still a luxury/discretionary _expense_ but if you can afford it, the expense is manageable…

regardless of how attractively this is priced, the finance people will make sure this is a money making experience for Porsche - and therefore I'm not sure it's a win if you were to dig into the finances…
Old 10-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche

regardless of how attractively this is priced, the finance people will make sure this is a money making experience for Porsche - and therefore I'm not sure it's a win if you were to dig into the finances…
Good point.

No matter what, this will be a money maker, not a loser, for Porsche. So you'll be paying something extra for the service, regardless.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:29 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I would not mind having a service like this for a month or two when I am in town. I am always travelling due to work, so for this type of service is excellent for people like me.

Then again, these cars will be driven. Who knows what people do in them? I am sure some guy is gonna try to pick up chicks with a 911 (not gonna work but you never know these days)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 914 Posts

now if i could swap my macan in boston for a 911 cab in monterrey and then flip into a gt3 in germany....

Quick Reply: Porsche Passport sports car subscription plan