Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You own .1GT3 but will you still get .2GT3 in PDK

Old 10-09-2017, 07:52 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default You own .1GT3 but will you still get .2GT3 in PDK

How many who already have or had the .1GT3 will be upgrading to the .2GT3 in PDK and why? Is it really worth it now that the .1 has the 10 year engine warranty?
Old 10-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
How many who already have or had the .1GT3 will be upgrading to the .2GT3 in PDK and why? Is it really worth it now that the .1 has the 10 year engine warranty?
Doesn't seem worth it to me in that case. Interior is virtually identical, and engine and trans for most all practical purposes is almost identical (5% more power, yes).

Most major difference is exterior styling, and the availability of a manual.

I sold my GT3 mainly because of lack of engagement driving the PDK, so a 6MT would bring me back.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:06 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Traded my .1 for a .2 PDK allocation. 4.0 engine and solid lifters. Also like the new styling, rear air scoops along with front end design. I’m specing my .2 the way I want, PTS. My .1 was speced from PAG direct. I’d say it’s worth the cost to me.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:46 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:07 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,788 Likes on 2,157 Posts

If the .2GT3 was PDK only I don't think I'd be interested but the 6-speed manual got me hooked.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:00 PM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

I just wrote this another post, but yes, going from a.1 PDK to a .2 PDK-
I don't care if my .1's warranty was extended 20 years, the inconvenience/repair time when the engine goes(and it will) is too big of an issue for me, especially if I'm on a long trip far from home. When I got my allocation for my .2, my .1 was for sale quicker than you could blink an eye. Better more powerful and more reliable engine, more aero, better looking front and rear fascia(imo), better tuned suspension for street and track, better calibrated RWS, PDK recalibrated, Faster than a .1 RS, better infotainment with rear camera(I like these little things), badass looking rear air intakes, etc. etc.
I had to have it and with it will come a better piece of mind while driving, as in reliability, which meant the most to me.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:34 PM
Fast Doc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going from a .1 GT3 PDK to hopefully a .2 GT3 RS PDK
Have just received a G series replacement engine
Old 10-09-2017, 10:46 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am going .1 PDK to .2 PDK. My .1 was a CPO '15 car. I loved it. Only reason to get the .2 PDK was so that I have the opportunity to build one for me.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:11 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Sometimes I look at my current .1 (which I love) and wonder if it's necessary to get the .2 next year, which will also be PDK.

Ultimately, I don't want a .2 RS, but I do want a .2 GT3, with the extra torque of 4 liters, a true race engine and the downforce of a 997.2 RS.
I also daily my GT3 some days, and I look forward to having Apple CarPlay, Google maps, rear camera, and Bose.
Also really looking forward to my first ever European delivery and driving Spa and the Ring with the .2 GT3.

Finally, unless Porsche comes out with another NA GT3 with increased displacement, I don't expect to order another new GT3 after this one.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:17 AM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My .1 had a PDK. .2 is coming with a MT. Both are great but the MT is more fun. (had a GT4).
Old 10-10-2017, 12:38 AM
PC Valkyrie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those who have upgraded or committed to upgrade will justify their choices. Those who have decided to keep the 991.1 GT3 will justify their choices too.

I fall into the second camp. I don't think the driving experience will change that dramatically going from a 991.1 PDK car to a 991.2 PDK car. Sure, the 991.2 GT3 will be a bit faster in terms of acceleration, and maybe the ride is a bit better on bumpy roads, but I really don't think it will be a major step change from what I experience now.

When Preuninger was asked about how the 991.2 GT2 RS could be faster than the 918, the first thing he mentioned was the tires.......the newer Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are a vast improvement over the N0 and previous N1 versions of the tire which were on the 991.1 GT3 and 991.1 GT3 RS.

And so I also suspect that a big reason the 991.2 GT3 is faster than the 991.1 GT3 on the track is due to the new tire that comes with the 991.2 GT3. Sure, the extra aero and acceleration helps too, but I bet the tires make the biggest impact. For sure, I will upgrade to the newer spec tire for my car once it is available.

Frankly, the 991.1 GT3 is not a slow car on track. I don't have the ***** yet to drive it at or close to its limits. It's the best sports car I have ever owned, and it's capabilities are amazing.

Furthermore, I'm not a Porsche fanatic......I'm a car fan. In the future, I would rather upgrade to something other than a 911 which would provide a truly different driving experience/character. Perhaps something with a mid engine configuration, perhaps?........haha.

I also tend to keep my cars for many years. The fact that most 991.1 GT3's will NOT experience the engine wear issue and the fact that Porsche will cover that issue for many years under warranty is enough for me keep enjoying my car for a very long time.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:10 AM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieRob
I just wrote this another post, but yes, going from a.1 PDK to a .2 PDK-
I don't care if my .1's warranty was extended 20 years, the inconvenience/repair time when the engine goes(and it will) is too big of an issue for me, especially if I'm on a long trip far from home. When I got my allocation for my .2, my .1 was for sale quicker than you could blink an eye. Better more powerful and more reliable engine, more aero, better looking front and rear fascia(imo), better tuned suspension for street and track, better calibrated RWS, PDK recalibrated, Faster than a .1 RS, better infotainment with rear camera(I like these little things), badass looking rear air intakes, etc. etc.
I had to have it and with it will come a better piece of mind while driving, as in reliability, which meant the most to me.
BINGO
Old 10-10-2017, 01:51 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I put my .1 on sale when the camgate started to emerge.
Now knowing that those engines are covered I am not so sure if I would do it again.
Ok, lack of motorsport pedigree of.1 would bother me to some extent and philosophically it's not right I would still be ok keeping .1.
Given the fact that .2 is so much more expensive (my configuration puts me in some exotic cars territory) and that the looks to some is not a step forward its a hard call.
Performance wise putting these two cars on the same rubber you can't justise the cost delta.
Aero improvement, suspension calibration, etc. is all imho PR bs. Its there but not that .1 all of a sudden is a bad car. Go check first reviews of .1....
Old 10-10-2017, 03:03 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Sometimes I look at my current .1 (which I love) and wonder if it's necessary to get the .2 next year, which will also be PDK.

Ultimately, I don't want a .2 RS, but I do want a .2 GT3, with the extra torque of 4 liters, a true race engine and the downforce of a 997.2 RS.
I also daily my GT3 some days, and I look forward to having Apple CarPlay, Google maps, rear camera, and Bose.
Also really looking forward to my first ever European delivery and driving Spa and the Ring with the .2 GT3.

Finally, unless Porsche comes out with another NA GT3 with increased displacement, I don't expect to order another new GT3 after this one.
so you (and many) dont let them having any choice
Old 10-10-2017, 03:17 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Some good support for the manual.. best engine sound capture I’ve heard yet

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: You own .1GT3 but will you still get .2GT3 in PDK