Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a GT2 RS: My Unfortunate Dealings with Porsche of the Main Line

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 01:21 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 920 Likes on 531 Posts

loyalty to a customer, depends on the amount of dollars they can charge over MSRP. If the amount is 250 K which is the going rate for GT2RS , the customer has to buy probably 50 cars from a dealer to make up for that amount, assuming dealer make 5 k / sale. To some dealers this is 2-3 months worth of car sales.
not defending the dealers, but any business owner , will do some discount for a repeat loyal customer, but not this kind of money
Old 10-04-2017, 01:23 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Concerning to hear this about Porsche of the Main Line.
I've purchased 4 new Porsches from them including two 991 GT3s at MSRP. They've always been an MSRP dealer for GT cars, even during the 991.1 GT car craziness.
I hope the OPs experience isn't a dealershipwide change, or I may need to go elsewhere for my 991.2 GT3 (and all other Porsches), in the future.
Two Texas dealers who have sold me GT cars at MSRP have both told me to my face that they see "their" cars selling for way over sticker and it's money they're "losing". One huge dealership now is ADM. The other is considering it and/or requiring FROR, and additional auto purchases.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:14 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by consolidated
Two Texas dealers who have sold me GT cars at MSRP have both told me to my face that they see "their" cars selling for way over sticker and it's money they're "losing". One huge dealership now is ADM. The other is considering it and/or requiring FROR, and additional auto purchases.
I think FROR is fair, and likely the only way to combat flippers. From the dealership side, they see opportunity costs to selling at MSRP on the short end. In the medium/long term, they will make back those ADMs and more if you buy and have your car serviced from the same dealership in addition to buying other cars. FROR allows there to be a safety mechanism in place for the dealer so they don't lose the short and long term potential in someone buys a car at MSRP and turns around and flips it.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:18 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

Sorry- What is FROR?
Old 10-04-2017, 02:19 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Maybe Porsche is underpricing their GT cars. Might as well raise the prices 25% and take the profit for themselves as long as the market supports it. If it doesn't then you'll get them on a discount.
Let's say they raise the price - GT2RS is 500k.

Be more than happy to sign a lease and turn it back in after X amount of years. If they / you are so confident in raising the price they / you should feel free to underwrite.

It's a slippery slope - short term gain long term pain it's not if but when and the guy who can not afford the car will let it go when it comes down to keeping the necessities.

That once 500k car is now worth 150k - happens to Rolls Bentley's Ferrari's difference is they don't sell above msrp as they have learned how that ends. Porsche said the 2RS will be available to all who desire the car it's either a lie or the dealers are milking the car until it hits full production either way why anyone who is a real buyer would tolerate this nonsense let alone rationalize it is beyond me. No offense but it's not limited numbered so it's not a collectible with a born on date it simply amazes me Porsche and or their dealers are taking this road.

FROR = first right of refusal. It usually means the dealer can buy it back at market but not above MSRP - in other words if the seller wants to sell the dealer has first right but will not pay above MSRP. the dealer holds the title so there are no games.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:24 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Icutyou
Question though.

Lets say dealers have no control and PCNA handles giving out the cars.
Who gets the cars? How do they decide? Do you line up outside the dealership like an iPhone release? Do you wait to buy an allocation online like my little brother getting yeezys?
I think transparency and having a fixed way of doing things is the ONLY way to go (blame it on profession). I for one, cant stand the way it's done now.
it would be up to the auto manufacturer just as it is up to Apple in its own online and brick and mortar stores. Whatever they decide to do, at least it would be the same policy for everyone and there would be no shenenigans like the OP (and many others here) experienced.

Tesla gave priority to Model 3 buyers who put down a deposit online ($1,000 I think?) when they went on pre-sale over a year ago through their website. That seems like a fair way to handle things. It would also be reasonable to start loyalty programs at the manufacturer level, like giving first dibs on GT car allocations to previous buyers of X number of cars and/or X value of purchases over a period of time. Again, it’s all about transparency and consistent application of whatever system the manufacturer decides to put in place.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:52 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Sorry- What is FROR?
first right of refusal
Old 10-04-2017, 03:05 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

I've bought a LOT of cars from the Main Line guys and it's always been an incredibly easy transaction (no, I'm not a VIP program customer). They are one of my go to places to recommend that people go to and THE go to for service in the area, bar NONE. They've never sold a GT car to date new for over MSRP to my knowledge which puts them way above the rest in my eyes. This does sound pretty sucky, and would be the first time they've ever done that to my knowledge. I'm sure the guys from there will do something to at least steer this in the right direction.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:26 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
I think FROR is fair, and likely the only way to combat flippers. From the dealership side, they see opportunity costs to selling at MSRP on the short end. In the medium/long term, they will make back those ADMs and more if you buy and have your car serviced from the same dealership in addition to buying other cars. FROR allows there to be a safety mechanism in place for the dealer so they don't lose the short and long term potential in someone buys a car at MSRP and turns around and flips it.
It's the unwritten agreement I have with my dealer, sell me a GT car and I'll sell it back to you or trade-in for the newer model...most of us are not a collector/flipper/broker/speculator/newbie, we just want the seat time!
Old 10-04-2017, 03:43 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Originally Posted by consolidated
It's the unwritten agreement I have with my dealer, sell me a GT car and I'll sell it back to you or trade-in for the newer model...most of us are not a collector/flipper/broker/speculator/newbie, we just want the seat time!
I would do the same thing within a reasonable amount of time say 2-3 year cap. Ferrari does something similar I believe
Old 10-04-2017, 04:44 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Some of you gents have a long buying history, yet they still f*k you.. Why would you all not leave the brand? If they pulled that garbage here, I would never look at Porsche again.
Let your $ talk and don't bend.. they will suffer in the end.
I was pretty close to Porsche exclusive for 10 years. I'm their ideal customer.....extreme car enthusiast with strong liquidity. Pretty easy exercise to see their loss:

In the 3 years since I was royally f*&ked by an LA dealer (in conjunction with PNMA), I have purchased 3 cars: daily driver (Merc), sport SUV (BMW) and an Aston Martin. Those cars would have been a Panamera GTS, a Macan GTS and either a .1 GT3RS or a .2GT3 manual. That's three cars, three years.

In the five years prior, I purchased 4 cars from the same dealership. So 7 years, 6 cars. What's the opportunity cost of that pulled allocation (for ADM purposes) look now, and for the next 10 years?

I've said it before, but I will never go back to Porsche. Just race cars.....never thought I'd be a Ferrari d-bag, but that's going to happen here pretty soon.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mehoff
I've said it before, but I will never go back to Porsche. Just race cars.....never thought I'd be a Ferrari d-bag, but that's going to happen here pretty soon.
Ferrari is not so bad. Especially since they went public. Not too terrible to get an allocation. Put your deposit down and wait your turn. If you want it quicker, buy used. You can usually find them sitting on the showroom floors, sometimes with a mark up, sometimes not.

The more I dive deep into porsche, not sure I have the patience for all these games these dealers play.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:51 PM
s2ml
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One GT2 RS was driving in front of me in the south of Germany.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
Then raise the msrp or sell more cars. But its so short sighted to try to make a quick buck instead of keeping long term customers happy.
There are 1000's of customers out there.They do not need any ONE to survive.When will you folks quite thinking you are actually special to them??
Old 10-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Billy Wyatt
There are 1000's of customers out there.They do not need any ONE to survive.When will you folks quite thinking you are actually special to them??

yeah- not quite the same way I run my business and I’m pretty sure it’s not how Porsche wants to run theirs. But what the hell do I know- maybe they do.

Regardless- I’m new to the brand and not married to it. Too many other cars and toys to spend money on. If Porsche doesn’t value my dollars, I’ll gladly spend it with someone that does.

Quick Reply: Buying a GT2 RS: My Unfortunate Dealings with Porsche of the Main Line