Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a GT2 RS: My Unfortunate Dealings with Porsche of the Main Line

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:19 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I know **** (Sean) personally, and I am shocked. The first time I met Sean he asked me if I wanted to drive his 458. He is the most genuine guy you are ever going to meet. But there is so much more to this story. Sean is a veteran. I will not go into details, but I will just say that he has made sacrifices, and he deserves to be treated with respect. For Porsche of the Main Line to treat a veteran like this is really outrageous. It's the ultimate insult.

I understand that a mistake may have been made, and I am hopeful that a "good dealer" will fix a serious mistake. But Porsche of the Main Line needs to correct this situation immediately. This is really shocking behavior. I will be contacting PCNA in the morning to see what can be done.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:31 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

I think this type of BS from dealerships needs to go straight to PCNA. I would call them and start making a big stink. If enough people (especially good customers like ****) begin calling PCNA maybe they will start to listen.

Porsche listened to robmypro in regards to the cam follower issue, so obviously they are trying to look out for GT customers. They need to know that dealerships who treat customers like crap need to be dealt with.

Last edited by manitou202; 10-04-2017 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-03-2017, 10:44 PM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ****
I have been a loyal customer of Porsche of the Main Line for 4 years, since I purchased my 2014 Cayenne Turbo S. Before you consider doing business with this Porsche dealer, I recommend that you read my story.

I am a 33 year old USAF veteran. I have had a $1000 deposit with them for a new GT2 RS for 2.5 years. I also traded in a 458 Ferrari 13 months ago (at below market price) and left $102,000 with them to put towards my GT2 RS. Additionally, I have also spec'd and ordered a 991.2 GT3 from them.

I made it absolutely clear that I wanted the car at MSRP when I put my deposit on it over 30 months ago. They told me that Porsche of the Main Line "only sell new cars for MSRP." They also informed me that I was first on the list.

I got the call today from my salesman congratulating me on being first on the list, as long as I was willing to pay $250,000 over MSRP.

I am speechless. Why did I sell them my 458 below market and let them hold onto $102,000 of my money for over a year?

Here is a quote from Robert DiStanislao, the owner of Porsche of the Main Line:

"Having been "tempted to take the quick dime instead of the smart nickel," DiStanislao says automakers are becoming more pragmatic about catering to their best customers."

Unbelievable.
First Thank you for your service.

Second glad you posted I had a similar experieence- my 3RS is for sale as a result of GT2RS experience. Luckily I left my deposit on the 488GTO where Ferrari never sells above MSRP - Porsche is a mess I have said it many times they introduce a car with no allocation. After reading it requires special water every 20 minutes I recall my dislike of turbo's.

Last - suggest grabbing your deposit and move on life is too short.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 10-04-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:55 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Get a McLaren 720S.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:32 PM
devenh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gee, I was shocked when an L.A. dealer wanted $175,000 over MSRP. Guess this is a deal compared to $250,000
Old 10-03-2017, 11:40 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

This story sucks and it’s mind boggling how Porsche North America allows this. I’m just getting started with Porsche but am having serious second thoughts if these are the games I’m going to have to play. I’ll stick with my 488 and other cars.

truly terrible and there are just too many other great cars to put up with these ridiculous games.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:55 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
.... it’s mind boggling how Porsche North America allows this.....
I don't think they do. From what I understand, they don't mess around with anything like this that could cause bad press.

Will be interested to see what updates come from this in the days to come.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:56 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealers see customers flipping cars they just sold them at MSRP for tens of thousands more, money they now not only want but 'deserve'.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:57 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mchrono
I don't think they do. From what I understand, they don't mess around with anything like this that could cause bad press.

Will be interested to see what updates come from this in the days to come.
I wish I could believe you but there are so many stories like this floating around with dealers pulling this kind of crap. Ridiculous and a serious turn off from the brand.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:58 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by consolidated
Dealers see customers flipping cars they just sold them at MSRP for tens of thousands more, money they now not only want but 'deserve'.
Then raise the msrp or sell more cars. But its so short sighted to try to make a quick buck instead of keeping long term customers happy.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:10 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohead
"One day we might find an article published in the Harvard Business Review with the following title "How Porsche North America Let Some of Its US Dealers Destroy one of the Most Valuable Brands Ever - A Case Study"... not too different from United or the genius at Best Buy in Houston that tried to make a few extra bucks by selling water with ADM. Imo, PCNA deserves its United moment."

I have 27 p cars over the years and presently have 4.
I think that qualifies for brand loyalty.
My dealer in Greenwich CT . pulled a similar thing on me .
and they still have my deposit .I'm pissed also.

I think we need to start a dealer" Black list " and get it all over these boards.
Lets see if PCNA cares about their reputation especially in the eyes of their best customers.

What do you guys think?
Elliot
Yeah there will be a Case Study.

The whole dealership model is so outdated. PCNA needs to do something about this fast. Tesla's model of selling their own cars has technically destroyed the traditional model of car buying. There was a time when middle men were needed to secure allocations etc - at a time when there was tons of inefficiency in the marketplace.

Today - you take money, get car at MSRP etc (just like walking to apple store to buy a phone) not way over with some complicated deals where the buyer will always lose etc.

Stupid dealer greed will destroy the brand. PCNA needs to delist the dealership from their network if crap like this reported.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:12 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

How do you report stuff like this? I mean, if the people here on this thread dont do it, who will? Im happy to start a email campaign- at the very least- point the people to this thread at PCNA.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:47 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Why did you put down such a sizeable deposit?
Old 10-04-2017, 01:30 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
How do you report stuff like this? I mean, if the people here on this thread dont do it, who will? Im happy to start a email campaign- at the very least- point the people to this thread at PCNA.
No need to report. Someone will read this in Atlanta tomorrow morning. Not the first time, not the last -honest people who rever the brand and act in good faith will see rules being changed for the dealer's benefit in a flash. The dealers are PCNA clients, and we are clients of the dealers.
They want to lease as many Macan Ss and Cs as possible, and as long dealers continue to do so, all is good.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:01 AM
Biff_Malibu
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see both sides of the argument. One way to look at it is the free market is doing its job. It's correcting a pricing imbalance caused by limited supply addressing a large market. Either Porsche regulates the pricing of their cars through their dealer network, or these things will happen, no matter how unfortunate it is.

In regards to Porsche of the Main Line, my 991.2 GT3 which I currently have on order is the 4th of 5th car I purchase from them. They've been honorable in our dealings to date, and have made good on their commitments. I bought my first GT3 at sticker (991.1), and my second one is a sticker as well (991.2). That being said, I don't flip my cars, and I buy other Porsches from them as well. I believe the overall relationship plays a factor.

Quick Reply: Buying a GT2 RS: My Unfortunate Dealings with Porsche of the Main Line