Sponsored by:

Willow Springs International Speedway "Big Willow" PCA-SDR GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:48 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts

OP,

Great video and awesome to see your FT3RS in action. Thanks for posting it.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:14 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GT345
Comes down to the driver more then the car, they are both very capable of getting into the mid and maybe even low 1:40s

For me I had a GT3, then bought the RS because I loved how it looked more then anything, and also figured they might hold there value better.

Was hoping I would see a difference in performance but there really was not much I could tell or feel other then some minor stuff like the shifting was a bit smoother, but at the end of the day there both amazing cars that you could daily drive and still get amazing times at the track with.
I'm glad to see you post this. While I've had a couple of conversations where owners insist the RS is a lot faster than a 991.1 GT3 my experience chasing them in my GT350 is that they seem pretty close with the RS getting off the corners a bit quicker. I know this is driver dependent and all but that is my experience. This is mainly at Thunderhill and I also run Sonoma and Laguna Seca here in NorCal.

Jack, you must know Clint B at the Porsche Experience Center. Last September I drove a 718 Cayman S before lunch, my son got hot laps in a GT3 RS during lunch, and after lunch I had a GT3 reserved but I got to drive an RS and all of this was with Clint. I really enjoyed having him in the passenger seat and he had me driving as hard as I do at track days. I had a great time and felt I could drop several seconds a lap over my GT350 in the RS. The RS was a riot but the Cayman S is a very capable car.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:46 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Willow is a really really fun track to chase lap times because there are so few corners and they're so fast. I wish I had video of the half day I got out of my kumho's on the ACR-extreme. turn 8 is completely flat in the viper and the p1...the latter entry speed is about 146 which I do have verified on gopro somewhere.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:53 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GT345
Jack! Do you ever attend any of the PCA SDR events?
I wish I could; but I'm limited to the group I'm chief driving instructor for (Open Track Racing) and my Porsche Experience Center stuff right now. Gotta keep the marriage going.

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I used to live 50 miles from that track! Big willow is a big boy track coming out of the last turn back on to the straight takes a lot of guts. That’s a nice facility with lots of places to run and even a great karting track. One of the things I miss about California.

Here's a clip I made that might make you miss it more:

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
I'm glad to see you post this. While I've had a couple of conversations where owners insist the RS is a lot faster than a 991.1 GT3 my experience chasing them in my GT350 is that they seem pretty close with the RS getting off the corners a bit quicker. I know this is driver dependent and all but that is my experience. This is mainly at Thunderhill and I also run Sonoma and Laguna Seca here in NorCal.

Jack, you must know Clint B at the Porsche Experience Center. Last September I drove a 718 Cayman S before lunch, my son got hot laps in a GT3 RS during lunch, and after lunch I had a GT3 reserved but I got to drive an RS and all of this was with Clint. I really enjoyed having him in the passenger seat and he had me driving as hard as I do at track days. I had a great time and felt I could drop several seconds a lap over my GT350 in the RS. The RS was a riot but the Cayman S is a very capable car.
I've never driven them back to back on the same day. But I got to drive a 991.1 GT3RS at the Weissach test track and the 991.2 GT3 at Willow, and I was struck by how similar those two felt. But one is a tight track and one is more open, so it's apples-to-oranges in different fruit bowls (how's that for an overworked metaphor?).

And yes, I know Clint. He's both an extremely capable driver and also a very good instructor -- you don't always get both, but he's both. And also a genuinely nice guy.

Last edited by JackOlsen; 01-30-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:40 PM
GT345
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I wish I could; but I'm limited to the group I'm chief driving instructor for (Open Track Racing) and my Porsche Experience Center stuff right now. Gotta keep the marriage going.

Here's a clip I made that might make you miss it more:
Cool video would of liked to see more of the 3 radicals you were chasing down.

Just got back from Chuckwalla with PCA-SDR and my friend showed me a pretty cool video of us playing together.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:42 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Here it is:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsc...t-test-review/
Old 02-17-2018, 07:26 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice review. What were your lap times in the GT3?

Quick Reply: Willow Springs International Speedway "Big Willow" PCA-SDR GT3RS