Sponsored by:

Road and Track: Performance Car of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Apolo1
Pro

Received 298 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bossing
I still like the one in the middlle..... alot. No turbos nor superchargers needed.

Entire online article here: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...r-of-the-year/
Know what you mean...
Whilst the 720s is an epically fast car. From a fun interaction point In my opinion its the polar opposite to the LT. Don't think I have ever driven a car that offers so much performance, and yet so little fun to actually drive.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
I appreciate torque as much as the next man, but prefer the instant and linear pull of NA. I’ve driven all three and only the 488 has no lag, the modest but still noticeable lag in the 991.2 Carreras and the GTR still annoys me, as does the vacuum cleaner sound.

You’ve got a lot of nice cars, you should try a GT2RS.

I think 992 GT3RS might go turbo or hybrid, but the GT3 will stay NA.
I know that a lot of people obssess about turbo lag, but to be honest, as long as its not huge lag, it doesn't bother me because, IMHO, while NA engines are sweet to drive, they suffer from what I call "power lag" which in certain circumstances can be as equally frustrating as turbo lag.

With regards to the GT2 RS, I am actually not all that interested in the car for myself. Certainly interested in its performance but I have no interest in buying one.

I have kind of reach point where I am not interested in cars that develop much above 500hp. Anything beyond that is simply not useable in normal circumstances. For me 500-550 hp is the sweet spot for genuine performance that is still largely useable.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:08 PM
AARP_981_GT4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the bucket list items was to own a 500 hp car. I thought it was going to be a Mercedes Benz C63 or E63 or an Audi RS6 (if an when it ever came State side) or S8. Thank goodness the 991.2 GT3 meets my hp requirement (didn't want a Turbo) so I can die a happy man!
Old 11-02-2017, 09:52 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

You guys saying the 720 S is no fun...did you drive it down a windy road with ESC off in track power mode? S*^+ is scary fast. 150mph in a blink
Old 11-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
You guys saying the 720 S is no fun...did you drive it down a windy road with ESC off in track power mode? S*^+ is scary fast. 150mph in a blink
Have you been in a Performante yet?

I was struck by the big step up in NVH vs. the regular Huracan; V10 and trans are very solidly mounted. I loved it, and it illustrates how soft a 991 GT3 has become.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:17 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Have you been in a Performante yet?

I was struck by the big step up in NVH vs. the regular Huracan; V10 and trans are very solidly mounted. I loved it, and it illustrates how soft a 991 GT3 has become.
Still waiting on Dallas to send me my car
Old 11-03-2017, 03:13 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Wow, if you eliminate the forced induction cars and the AWD cars, that leaves just two. Only one of which I would buy. . .
Old 11-03-2017, 03:39 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Absolutely

I spent time with a 570S and it was enough to push me over to the 720S (reasonable wait still). McLaren are on a roll and they are prepared to innovate.

It was a no brainer the 720S would take the laurels in this particular test. I'm still impressed by the AMG GT R - its a real menace in a good drivers hands - get the sight lines right and it will win a lot more converts.

Porsche have a lot of work to do with the GT3 - in some respects it hasn't moved the game on since the 997 GT3 RS (4l). They need to work on weight reduction and grow a pair by dropping a twin turbo into the next iteration.

I spent a day with Ferrari a couple of weeks ago, hammering 488GTBs round a good circuit. It brought back to me how good that particular engine is and how organic its handling was. Porsche can learn from the good work other manufacturers. If they don't, from a performance POV, they'll be dead in the water.

Incidentally the Type R is brilliant at its price point good simple application of engineering to remove torque steer.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:48 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
I wonder how much faster the GT3 would've been with PDK
+1 ... and I'm guessing quite a bit ...
Old 11-03-2017, 06:51 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
My GTR is way faster than my GT3.2. You notice as soon as you hop in and drive off, the bottom end torque makes the car go boom and it just keeps going.

I like my GT3 but am now actually thinking, and am looking forward to, the next GT3 going turbo.

Have you had the GTR out on a trackday yet ? Because THAT will be the defining point in time to rate the cars against each other ...
Can't wait to hear more about your thoughts .2GT3 vs Merc GTR !

Imagine what they can do with the black series. Less weight, more power, more aero. Might be a GT2RS beater !
Old 11-03-2017, 08:46 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Have you had the GTR out on a trackday yet ? Because THAT will be the defining point in time to rate the cars against each other ...
Can't wait to hear more about your thoughts .2GT3 vs Merc GTR !

Imagine what they can do with the black series. Less weight, more power, more aero. Might be a GT2RS beater !
No I haven't yet and not sure I will get the chance this season as my track days are pretty much done.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:29 AM
Checkmate
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

That ZL1 1LE is what's most impressive in this bunch. Chevy is just crushing it these days.

To quote -

And, of course, it is fast. The Camaro clocked a lap time of 1:32.15, beating the 911 by 24 hundredths. And did we mention the price? We try not to in this competition. But when a machine costs half as much as a 911 GT3 and is faster around a racetrack, while plastering a grin across the face of everyone who drives it, the fact that said car is such a bargain makes it even more noteworthy.

All in, the GT R’s impressive lap time showcases what an incredible job AMG has done turning the so-so GT into a proper driver’s car, and the 911 is as nuanced as it ever was. But the egalitarian ZL1 1LE won us over. Underdog, you say? Überdog, is more like.—Chris Chilton

Last edited by Checkmate; 11-03-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:55 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Absolutely

I spent time with a 570S and it was enough to push me over to the 720S (reasonable wait still). McLaren are on a roll and they are prepared to innovate.

It was a no brainer the 720S would take the laurels in this particular test. I'm still impressed by the AMG GT R - its a real menace in a good drivers hands - get the sight lines right and it will win a lot more converts.

Porsche have a lot of work to do with the GT3 - in some respects it hasn't moved the game on since the 997 GT3 RS (4l). They need to work on weight reduction and grow a pair by dropping a twin turbo into the next iteration.

I spent a day with Ferrari a couple of weeks ago, hammering 488GTBs round a good circuit. It brought back to me how good that particular engine is and how organic its handling was. Porsche can learn from the good work other manufacturers. If they don't, from a performance POV, they'll be dead in the water.

Incidentally the Type R is brilliant at its price point good simple application of engineering to remove torque steer.
Let’s not forget price point. Ferrari doesn’t make a car in the GT3 range. GT2RS is in the 488 price range.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:17 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
lexus LC 500 is a good car. I test drove the car and it impressed me more than I expected, but I don't think it belongs with other cars
My buddy has one. one the most beautiful cars around inside/out. Attracted a ton of attention. However, on 2 different track days it overheated after a short time at both. And he wasn't exactly ringing it out at 10/10ths either. After these issues, I talked him into getting a 911 and he couldn't be happier.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,387 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
My buddy has one. one the most beautiful cars around inside/out. Attracted a ton of attention. However, on 2 different track days it overheated after a short time at both. And he wasn't exactly ringing it out at 10/10ths either. After these issues, I talked him into getting a 911 and he couldn't be happier.
Saw one at my Detailer the other day and one at the Dealer. The interior is beautiful I will give it that. I like the car in black but in silver it did not look as good. There is something proportionally wrong with the car for some reason. I just do not know what it is. The more I looked at it the more I did not like it. But at first take I really liked it- weird

Quick Reply: Road and Track: Performance Car of the Year