Sponsored by:

GT3 Owners: Bucket Seats or 18 Way Sport Seats for DD GT3

Old 09-30-2017, 12:40 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default GT3 Owners: Bucket Seats or 18 Way Sport Seats for DD GT3

Hey everyone,

I am in a huge dilemma with seats (yes, first world problems).

Getting the new gt3 touring package(as this is technically a new 911R lol). And this will be a daily driver.

My driving style is city driving and long highway cruises with my wife (tracking is less to be honest...I just do not have the time for it). I do like bucket seats but I have not done a long drive with bucket seats so I can not tell if this particular seat will be good or not. I do drive long distances to see family/friends and I really do love driving.

Logical part of my brain is telling me to go with 18 way seats..

I just do not want a sore back and what not as the car has a manual transmission.

Which seat is best for Daily Driving? What would you do
Old 09-30-2017, 12:57 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same dilemma. I ended up going for the buckets which I'm going to drive for a while and then if needed swap in 18-ways - while keeping the buckets for re-sale value. I've been told it's easier to do it this way than the other way around.

I've sat in a few of the new buckets recently and they are really comfortable and adjustable.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:14 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Hey everyone,

Getting the new gt3 touring package(as this is technically a new 911R lol). And this will be a daily driver.

My driving style is city driving and long highway cruises with my wife (tracking is less to be honest...I just do not have the time for it). I do like bucket seats but I have not done a long drive with bucket seats so I can not tell if this particular seat will be good or not. I do drive long distances to see family/friends and I really do love driving.

I just do not want a sore back and what not as the car has a manual transmission.

I think you’re the first person who gave a use-Case description which makes me think “go Sofas”.. LWB are not ideal for long trips, and in a 911 without rear seats where you may want to recline and nap mid-drive, or just do the hanky panky with your passenger, LWB are a bad choice. The touring is after all, for touring.. go 4-way and reduce your spend and have comfy seats. You’d be getting the LWB just for looks if you’re not going to drive it hard... and while they’re greatvseats, they’re not long-distance seats (or food for hanky panky)
Old 09-30-2017, 01:24 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^ What "Calexico" said
Old 09-30-2017, 01:34 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I think you’re the first person who gave a use-Case description which makes me think “go Sofas”.. LWB are not ideal for long trips, and in a 911 without rear seats where you may want to recline and nap mid-drive, or just do the hanky panky with your passenger, LWB are a bad choice. The touring is after all, for touring.. go 4-way and reduce your spend and have comfy seats. You’d be getting the LWB just for looks if you’re not going to drive it hard... and while they’re greatvseats, they’re not long-distance seats (or food for hanky panky)
Yes for food and hanky panky lol...Yeah baby!!!

So 4 way is better than 18 way? I was under the impression that 18 way is more comfy than 4way.

I love that there are no back seats and it gives so much more room to store things anyway.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:49 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Yes for food and hanky panky lol...Yeah baby!!!

So 4 way is better than 18 way? I was under the impression that 18 way is more comfy than 4way.

I love that there are no back seats and it gives so much more room to store things anyway.
18 way are not necessarily better than 4 way. Very current thread on this.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-way-seat.html
Old 09-30-2017, 01:59 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I’ve had 4 and 18 ways. 18 ways are uncomfortable to me. 4 ways fit me better. I have done 12 hour drives in both. Wish we could get old 997 gt2 folding buckets. Those were comfortable for me on long drives and nice to be able to get in back of the car Only short drives in 918 buckets so not sure how they would be on long drives
Old 09-30-2017, 02:01 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I'm a LWB convert but it would be hard not to go 4 way if it was a DD and my wife was going to ride along a fair bit. Would be a tough choice. I've fallen in love with my LWBs.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:29 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

For daily use and to put things in the back, the 18 way seats would work better. I'm a golfer and I don't think it would have been possible to get the clubs in with LWB. Has anyone tried to put golf clubs in a car with LWB?
Old 09-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

i just did my order today, and drove a 4 way used gt3, and a 991s with 18ways, and LWB rs. i had to have my allocation locked for to 8th, was beside myself on seats. I am 6'4 36 inch waste, so tall, not wide. no go on LWB, they dig into your hips way too much for long days, the 4 ways and 18ways both were great, i chose the 18 ways just because i liked the additional bolster and lumbar. I could see a person with a wider @ss picking the 4 ways, as the 18 ways are not as "flat" as the 4 ways. I did not see any height difference between either. A lot say they are, but it would have to be less than a 1/2 of an inch it there is and without any break in. The bolster is not extreme, it only adjusts about 1/2 an inch and kinda curls up more than squeezes your hips and legs. Same with the back side bolster. The 4 ways seem softer, the 18 ways had a more firm seat. I spent the last 3 months on "what seats" "what color" All else was easy. lol Hope this helps
Old 09-30-2017, 03:57 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Hey everyone,

For DD, cruises with the wife, etc it is a no brainer.....LWB's are not the answer....4 or 18 way....I prefer the 18 way for the lumbar support but to each their own....granted the LWB's are way cooler and probably better fro resale but you need to want to enjoy the car.....and you want your wife to enjoy it.....the sofa's in your case will make ownership that much better....
Old 09-30-2017, 04:28 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 997 Gt2 style bucket seats that are really snug and comfy even for long drives. Not an option for you I guess.
But even these seats can be a b....! to get in and out off for some one who is not used to them. I have the hang of it, so easy for me but not the wife.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:45 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

For me, the LWBs seem every bit as comfortable as the 4ways, and slightly more supportive. I have them in my current Spyder and had 18ways in my prior Spyder. If I were speccing the car new today, I would definitely choose the LWBs over the 18ways. The only downside of the LWBs is the more difficult ingress/egress.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:45 PM
Captain racing
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For daily driving definitely go with the 18 way. I have the LWB and while they look amazing it's a pain entering and exiting the car. Once your in there not bad. But I use mine as a weekend car so I'm happy with the LWB.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:46 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the 18 way and love em. For me, they are just a great combination of support and comfort. Best seats I've ever had on a car. That said, if my car were more track purposed, I would have gotten the buckets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Owners: Bucket Seats or 18 Way Sport Seats for DD GT3