991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Owners: Bucket Seats or 18 Way Sport Seats for DD GT3

Old 12-21-2017, 09:54 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

I have my Touring ordered with leather interior and 18 way.
LWB do not fit the Touring concept IMO, nor do they fit me with any degree of comfort.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:02 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I have my Touring ordered with leather interior and 18 way.
LWB do not fit the Touring concept IMO, nor do they fit me with any degree of comfort.

I agree that Touring should have 18 ways. 😀
Old 12-22-2017, 12:56 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I got buckets but no full leather in my touring. Then again, it’s still a GT3.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:34 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Life is short - don't worry about resale and if you are lucky enough to get a configurable allocation, just build it how you want

I went with *PDK/Wing and *4 way seats Exactly what I wanted for a daily driver, canyon carver, and perhaps a random track day every other month or two
Old 01-03-2018, 02:49 AM
cayenne-tt
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

it’s really really hard to buy GT3 or RS 4/18 way seats after the fact as most owners want to be able to return their cars to stock seats when they sell their GT3/RS as that’s what dealers prefer.

I personally looked for over a year before I could find someone to sell me their GT3 4 way seats.
are you not able to use a regular 911 4way or 18way seat? Do they not fit a GT3?
Old 01-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by mad_max
Backed out of deal this weekend because of buckets. I couldn't stand the very upright backrest even though everything else was fine (a little harder to get in and out). If I get an allocation I'd configure one with 18ways because of the memory feature on the 991.2. Otherwise I would be happy with either 18ways or the 4ways. However, I was told my my local dealer every single 991.2 that they got so far had buckets.
When I was looking to repurchase a Spyder to replace the one I mistakenly sold, I came across a dealer mile car, really well speccd, but with buckets, which I absolutely did not want. Had sat in them in an RS in the showroom for a while and hated them. So I kept looking, but that car was perfect otherwise. So I decided to take the risk and buy the car and just sell the seats for 18 ways. I agonized over it, as I really didn't want the buckets. Then I got the car and actually drove it. And discovered that the buckets supported me way better than the 4 ways or 18 ways in my other cars and made my twice surgically repaired back feel so much better. After a few hours in the seat, I fell in love with them and now would never spec a Porsche without them. They are no fun to get in and out of, but, for me at least, they are way more comfortable and supportive than the regular seats and I can drive so much longer without any back pain in them. And I never would have guessed that just by sitting in them in the showroom. It took seat time to really assess how they worked for me. And I've had two lower back surgeries, surgery to repair a severely dislocated left hip and torn labrum, surgery on both femurs (both broken, one reshaped, one held together with a titanium rod), and two surgeries on one knee and one on the other. The support of the LWBs actually helps with my aches and pains, rather than hurts.

What's funny is that I just picked up a Golf R and the shape of the seat is near identical to the LWB in my Spyder. It's a bigger seat overall, but the shape of the interior and the way it holds you is almost identical. I find myself adjusting the seat very upright, like my LWBs.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:03 PM
kblask
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Psup4s
Back from the grave (well not that old). My .1 came with 18 way seats. Does anyone know if buckets can be retrofitted? Dealer says no due to airbag issue but I seem to remember someone saying it could be done. $10k for buckets is not too bad imo.
Looks like nobody ever addressed this. Anyone happen to know if the buckets are a simple swap? Where can they be had for $10k?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 PM
wmond
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Here's a silly question, can you put a race harness on any seats other than the LWB? Can you use a HANS device without the LWB?

I figure I can realistically do 2 DE weekends a year (wife and kids that I still love, ugh....), so that's 5-6 track days. Would like to do more, but who knows. I like the seating position of the LWB, sat in them in a GT3RS for about 15 minutes at the dealership, I sit very upright anyway. Car is not really a daily driver either, just a fun, weekend, mostly summer toy; figure I'll put about 6000 miles on it a year, which is what I do in my 2013 991C2S. Golfer too, but clubs are mostly at the club so I don't need to take them with me too much. Figure I can wiggle them into the back if I have to, per the other posts in this thread.

So, I think I'm sold on the LWB, comfortable, trackable, harness/HANS, but if I wanted to go with the 4/18 ways, I assume the harness and HANS are out of the question at that point? Thanks....
Old 01-04-2018, 10:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond
Here's a silly question, can you put a race harness on any seats other than the LWB? Can you use a HANS device without the LWB?

I figure I can realistically do 2 DE weekends a year (wife and kids that I still love, ugh....), so that's 5-6 track days. Would like to do more, but who knows. I like the seating position of the LWB, sat in them in a GT3RS for about 15 minutes at the dealership, I sit very upright anyway. Car is not really a daily driver either, just a fun, weekend, mostly summer toy; figure I'll put about 6000 miles on it a year, which is what I do in my 2013 991C2S. Golfer too, but clubs are mostly at the club so I don't need to take them with me too much. Figure I can wiggle them into the back if I have to, per the other posts in this thread.

So, I think I'm sold on the LWB, comfortable, trackable, harness/HANS, but if I wanted to go with the 4/18 ways, I assume the harness and HANS are out of the question at that point? Thanks....
The problem with the 4/18 way seats is that there are no pass-throughs in the seat back for a harness. To be safe the shoulder belts need to take a straight line from their mounting points to your torso and they can't do that without a pass through.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:20 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

I recently got to butt-test all these seats. LWB = really cool looking. I absolutely love how they look. The carbon fiber and leather is awesome. But I'm tall. 6' 2", 180lbs, size 33 pants. So I'm not fat or anything. The seats fit me fairly well. But the angle of the seat back is too upright. If it were reclined just a tiny bit more, it would be ok. I don't like sitting up so straight. It hurts my back. I get that it's for racing, so that makes sense. The 18-way are nice. I like all the adjustability, especially the lumbar support. But the bolsters are tight on my hips and the back bolsters pinch my arms because I've got wide shoulders. But they are fairly comfy. The 4-way are the loosest of the bunch and felt good all around. But I would probably miss lumbar support and seat-bottom tilt.

I'd go with the LWB if they were reclined a bit more. Otherwise... toss up between 4-way and 18-way. I'll probably go 4-way as long as they tilt forward so you can get to the back?
Old 01-06-2018, 07:05 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Seat choice is so personal.

(I love the upright seating position of the buckets.)

Functionality is not. Seats that don't fold in a car labeled as Touring... silly. But we're not buying these cars using much logic.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:34 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The recline adjuster from John Gaydos makes them decline a bit more.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:55 AM
cajerseyboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
The recline adjuster from John Gaydos makes them decline a bit more.
This ^ John is with AutoQuest Motorsports and the recline adjuster is very popular.

http://www.autoquestcars.com/custom-07
Old 01-06-2018, 10:30 AM
mad_max
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
I recently got to butt-test all these seats. LWB = really cool looking. I absolutely love how they look. The carbon fiber and leather is awesome. But I'm tall. 6' 2", 180lbs, size 33 pants. So I'm not fat or anything. The seats fit me fairly well. But the angle of the seat back is too upright. If it were reclined just a tiny bit more, it would be ok. I don't like sitting up so straight. It hurts my back. I get that it's for racing, so that makes sense. The 18-way are nice. I like all the adjustability, especially the lumbar support. But the bolsters are tight on my hips and the back bolsters pinch my arms because I've got wide shoulders. But they are fairly comfy. The 4-way are the loosest of the bunch and felt good all around. But I would probably miss lumbar support and seat-bottom tilt.

I'd go with the LWB if they were reclined a bit more. Otherwise... toss up between 4-way and 18-way. I'll probably go 4-way as long as they tilt forward so you can get to the back?
I'm 5' 8" and 160lbs, and it's the same exact reason I couldn't be comfortable in the LWBs, the back is too upright.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
This ^ John is with AutoQuest Motorsports and the recline adjuster is very popular.

http://www.autoquestcars.com/custom-07
OMG how has it taken me 2 years to find out about this?! I'm onto them now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Owners: Bucket Seats or 18 Way Sport Seats for DD GT3