Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Owners: Bucket Seats or 18 Way Sport Seats for DD GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 01:30 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

I had LWBs in my '15 GT3 and have 4 ways in my 50th. Except for the mount and dismount effort with the buckets, I'm opting for the LWBs, as I always found them comfortable (I'm 6' and trim 190 lbs. FWIW).

Regarding seat position, the LWBs feel lower than the 4 ways.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:45 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34
the LWB's sit the lowest

the 18 ways sit lower than the 4 ways
we measured with a tape measure at the dealership with all seats all the way back and to the roof lining. I was surprised.
I consistently notice that I get less headroom in LWB seats than 18 way. Tall guys need to know that LWB's dont adjust downward like the 18 ways can, and you might not fit well with a helmet sitting in LWB's. That said, 18 way's have plenty of lateral support for the track, and with a 3,100+ lb car, let's not delude ourselfs about how we "need" LWB's for weight savings on our "race cars".
Old 10-02-2017, 06:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
I consistently notice that I get less headroom in LWB seats than 18 way. Tall guys need to know that LWB's dont adjust downward like the 18 ways can, and you might not fit well with a helmet sitting in LWB's. That said, 18 way's have plenty of lateral support for the track, and with a 3,100+ lb car, let's not delude ourselfs about how we "need" LWB's for weight savings on our "race cars".
??? wut? My LWBs are electrically adjustable up and down and can be lowered to a lower position than my 4 or 18 ways. I'm 6'2" and the LWBs are fine for me. What do you mean they don't adjust downward?
Old 10-02-2017, 11:51 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
....What do you mean they don't adjust downward?
Not as far downward as the 18 ways. It may be a function of seat angle, but bottom line, with my long torso, I have more headroom in the 991.1 GT3 with 18-ways vs. LWB's.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:35 AM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PTGFAR
For daily use and to put things in the back, the 18 way seats would work better. I'm a golfer and I don't think it would have been possible to get the clubs in with LWB. Has anyone tried to put golf clubs in a car with LWB?
I got two sets of clubs in with the LWBs but it took a lot of effort with two people and some strategic towel placement to keep from scratching up the car as its a tight fit. I have a roll bar in the back now so its down to a single set of clubs in the passenger seat.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:50 AM
hsiaochinsan
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by karter34
i am sorry though you only measured the seat back to the floor, they could be hinged lower in the 4 way.

The only real indication is how much room is left in the cabin.

base of the seat all in t ebsame position( all the way back) to the roof lining.
We measured all 3 cars 3 times and i had the service manager with me.

I was looking for measurements for aged no one could help so I went myself and then shared my findings.
I have to agree that 4 ways sit higher than 18 ways. I just tried to sit in a 991.2 GTS with 4 ways. Comparing to my 991.1 turbo s 18 ways, I do feel sitting higher with the 4 ways seats. I am 6-2 and am quite sensitive about headroom clearance.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:14 AM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpinon
Small Sunday bag, woods and hybrids come out, the bag slides in the rear area. The long clubs lay on top of the bag.
I use a stand bag and remove the long clubs and lay them on top also. That also makes the bag fit in the area easier and makes it lighter to lift while in an awkward position. I use straps to hold them in place in case I need to hit the brakes. I also made styrofoam blocks to place on either side of the transmission tunnel so the bag would have a flat area to lay on. The blocks are covered with towels.

Originally Posted by jj99c2
I got two sets of clubs in with the LWBs but it took a lot of effort with two people and some strategic towel placement to keep from scratching up the car as its a tight fit. I have a roll bar in the back now so its down to a single set of clubs in the passenger seat.
I also use towels to cover the whole bag to prevent scratching up the interior while putting the bag in the car and taking it out. I thought of the passenger seat but I'm afraid of damaging the seats. I was thinking I could make something to support the bottom of the bag and something to place on the seat to support the rest of the bag without making depressions in the seat.

A towel over the drivers seat keeps sunblock off the upholstery. I have a lot of towels in my car.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:28 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

We were caught in a similar dilemma. Not being able to recline, the LWB is not ideal for longer trips and the 18-ways did not have a pass through for harnesses. The Sparco SPX is an extremely comfortable seat and still has a mild bolster to keep you in the seat while cornering. Originally made for Pagani, the SPX also looks very fitting in the GT3 with the alcantara center and carbon shell.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
The following 2 users liked this post by gmgracing:
dros (12-08-2020), mohawk5010 (03-18-2021)
Old 10-03-2017, 07:27 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
We were caught in a similar dilemma. Not being able to recline, the LWB is not ideal for longer trips and the 18-ways did not have a pass through for harnesses. The Sparco SPX is an extremely comfortable seat and still has a mild bolster to keep you in the seat while cornering. Originally made for Pagani, the SPX also looks very fitting in the GT3 with the alcantara center and carbon shell.
Wow - these seats are super nice.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:41 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

I am in the same boat, just decided to spec the 4 ways instead of the LWBs more comfort for a street car, mainly for my passenger. I love the buckets but find most passengers prefer the sofas. Big problem though, I specced my car with Touring Package and deviated stitching in GT silver, if I try to change the seats it kicks off the deviated stitching and a host of other options with the touring package. Very strange, as such I am keeping the LWBs with deviated stitching interior and will throw the Sparco SPX seat in the passenger side, Problem solved! Thanks for the info GMG
Old 10-03-2017, 07:48 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
Drove the Ring in an RSR GT 3 rental w LWB's ,very uncomfortable and distracting until you get to fox hole and you are so .... doesn't matter....

Conclusion, LWB's look nice, but don't work well on street or track IMHO.
I found that a small inflatable lumbar pillow really improves my comfort in the LWB's. I really like the seats (and they give great headroom as noted in this thread already).

https://www.relaxtheback.com/self-in...BoC99sQAvD_BwE
Old 10-05-2017, 05:00 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 436 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I am in the same boat, just decided to spec the 4 ways instead of the LWBs more comfort for a street car, mainly for my passenger. I love the buckets but find most passengers prefer the sofas. Big problem though, I specced my car with Touring Package and deviated stitching in GT silver, if I try to change the seats it kicks off the deviated stitching and a host of other options with the touring package. Very strange, as such I am keeping the LWBs with deviated stitching interior and will throw the Sparco SPX seat in the passenger side, Problem solved! Thanks for the info GMG
Red and silver stitching are now available to us as well, great new for people with deviated stitching. James has been using these seats in the GMG GT3RS for over a year now and loves the comfort. He can drive the car in for long periods of time without the back aches, then throw the harnesses on when need be.

Here is how they look with out new WEC Series roll bar :

Old 12-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Back from the grave (well not that old). My .1 came with 18 way seats. Does anyone know if buckets can be retrofitted? Dealer says no due to airbag issue but I seem to remember someone saying it could be done. $10k for buckets is not too bad imo.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:08 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

For me, if it were a Touring, I would go 18-ways because LWB is too impractical for daily street driving and usage, and memory and lumbar are must-haves for me. If it were a non-touring, then LWB because I can see that as a track car first and steet car second, and the LWB suits the character of the "winged" car.
The following users liked this post:
dcstalder (10-12-2019)
Old 12-16-2017, 10:27 PM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
For me, if it were a Touring, I would go 18-ways because LWB is too impractical for daily street driving and usage, and memory and lumbar are must-haves for me. If it were a non-touring, then LWB because I can see that as a track car first and steet car second, and the LWB suits the character of the "winged" car.
No memory in GT cars, despite what it says on the configurator.

Quick Reply: GT3 Owners: Bucket Seats or 18 Way Sport Seats for DD GT3