Sponsored by:

991.2 manual: Possible to over-rev

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 10:51 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueGT3
Easy fix - downshift thru the gears rather than jumping.
I'm going to assume sarcasm font here
Old 09-30-2017, 11:21 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueGT3
Easy fix - downshift thru the gears rather than jumping.
I’m assuming you’re being sarcastic, or have never been to the track with your manual car?

Originally Posted by jo_ker
starting with range3 --> the approved warranty extension possibility is gone here in EU.
if you want it again. you need following 200 operating hours without an issue. or you have to pressure test...

This stuff used to not concern us, it was just part of driving.. now this chart looks like some omen of impending doom, we’ve become such safety weenies, wanting to inoculate ourselves against any adverse occurrence (it scares me too). I wouldn’t be surprised if rennlisters of the future mock the “old-timers†who are still trying to drive actual cars on actual roads rather than just buy the program for the GT cars to insert on their at-home virtual reality simulator. Seriously, I can see that conversation happening:

“Can you believe those grandpas over on the “2030 and earlier†model year forum are still waxing nostalgic about their years actually driving GT cars?

“What do you mean ‘actually driving’.. like on asphalt, outdoors, with the steering wheel cars?.. holy crap do you realize how unsafe that must have been?â€

“Yea, gearheads back then were really crazy.. people actually died sometimesâ€

“Nuts, Anyway, back on topic, did you hear about GT dept releasing its GT2RS simulator?..dealers charging some crazy ADM to let you download it, has a new “wind in your face†function for added realism....â€

“Ooh, sounds dangerous, does it dry your skin out?â€

“Maybe.. maybe.. so hardcore huh?â€

Old 09-30-2017, 06:04 PM
BCMgunner
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I know this doesn't apply to tracking, but...

as long as your under 75mph when you come down from 5th gear, you need not worry.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:08 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I’m assuming you’re being sarcastic, or have never been to the track with your manual car?

Sarcasm all of my tracking, except 991 GT3, has been with a 3-pedal box
Old 10-07-2017, 10:39 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna_Dude
it's called the "money shift"
Actually experienced a money shift once. I was s/p left rotator cuff surgery and was driving with my sling on. I know; very dumb but i needed to get out of the house and take a ride.

In a spirited fashion of going through the gears without my left hand on the wheel and pulling back with the right from 3rd to 4th, my body rotated and ended up in second

god awfull sounds and then nothing from the motor toast.

somehow my insurance had this mechanical break down aspect and it actually fully covered the repair after some slick words from my dealer's chief mechanic.

skated by a bad decision that day
Old 10-08-2017, 03:12 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 174 Posts

Let me answer the question very clearly:

Is it possible to overrev?

Yes, absolutely!

How?

Mechanical over-rev

Yes but, I'm a careful shifter...

On the track? You never shift quickly???

Umm, sometimes...

So, then it's possible for you!

But even when I'm fast I'm careful, so I'm safe.

This is still a 911- try shifting at maximum g's coming out of a corner with everything loaded up- 3rd to 4th or is that 2nd?

But that's what Dynamic Engine Mounts are for...

They wear out- quickly too when you track! We just don't notice with the PDK, check how many 997 GT3's drivers that are fast that rely on their DEM's...

I'll get cup cables... oh I can't get them for the 991!

Oh, don't forget the diff made of high quality paper! That wears out faster than the DEM's!

Look, if you are at all thinking of tracking, don't buy a manual GT3. It used to be in the 'olden daze' you could buy GT3 cup parts to bullet proof things, like cup cables, solid engine mounts, transmission mounts, and upgrade your diff to race quality hardware. Since the 991.1 GT3 those thoughts are out the window with PDK and electronically controlled diffs. But now we have the new .2 GT3 and it's back to the Future, except those race parts aren't available from Porsche. We will have to rely on third party vendors to eventually supply them.

So bottom line, if you ask the question, the answer is yes eventually if drive competitively and track without upgrading hardware. If not, in normal street driving as long as you are careful you are fine.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:19 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Just drive the car. Hard.
Money shift? Write the check.
Chalk it up to a learning experience.
and you will money shift at some point. Maybe not full on eff you money shift. Maybe you are quick on the clutch and get a range 1. Or not and hear that zing! Followed by a rattle noise and a puff of smoke. Oops.
Thems the breaks.
Worth every penny.
Like they say. Cheaper than hookers and blow.
Right?
Old 10-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

I haven't driven the GT3/911R manual, but having a C2S 7MT and driven the GT4, I'd find it hard to money shift the car. I think money shifting happens more often on cars with clunky synchros or odd shift gates.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I haven't driven the GT3/911R manual, but having a C2S 7MT and driven the GT4, I'd find it hard to money shift the car. I think money shifting happens more often on cars with clunky synchros or odd shift gates.
997 gt cars have one of the best transmissions ever engineered and it can happen.
Get into any situation under high g situations bumpy braking zones at 140mph and lots going on and what gear the transmission is in becomes a secondary input to survival instinct.
Trust me. It’s all user error and nit the cars. But when in high stress situations on track anything can and will happen.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:31 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

The 997 GT transmission is a lot stronger and stouter than this one will be.

Quick Reply: 991.2 manual: Possible to over-rev