Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone CXX a multifunction steering wheel? I really want a wood wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 05:41 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts
Default Anyone CXX a multifunction steering wheel? I really want a wood wheel.

Anyone ever do this on a GT3? What was the cost? Exclusive is looking into it for me now. I am probably better off buying the wheel and using the conversion kit but no one seems to know if it will work on a GT3. I don’t care about heat, but the MF would be great and Wood is where it’s at for my Porschuar (I am getting the console and dash pieces installed after delivery).
Old 04-16-2018, 03:11 PM
rezgui.rachid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

what happened to this plan? Did you end up getting it?
i got quoted 4000$ for LTS steering wheel as a cxx option. I do not know if it is the same with wood.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:13 PM
cayenne-tt
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was interested in putting a MF steering wheel in my 991.2 GT3. From my recent research, it sounds like it might be possible to but need a dealer or independent porsche service to code the car to turn on the MF functions using PIWIS...
Old 07-15-2018, 04:44 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Flame suit on: note all of the below applies to the 991.2 carbon MF wheel as well — on sale for $800 at suncoast.

In case anyone was wondering, the answer was wood heated multifunction wheel is not available via CXX in spite of numerous requests (not all of them by me — others are apparently equally smitten with wood). I was told you could do the dash and console trim and I assume you can do the shift **** too as it is off the shelf so to speak. Since all of that is available via techequipment (ask for a 718 **** so it shows 6 speeds) I did not bother to do it CXX as it is less from techequipment than to order it with even a normal car ($2060 v. $2460). At this point I am just going to do the wheel I think and see if I feel like I need more wood.

Techequipment won’t sell an MF wheel for a GT3. Normally, you can retrofit an MF wheel to a non-MF normal 991.2.

Anyway, I think I have it figured out after like a year plus of contemplation, I am just waiting on confirmation about fit of a couple small parts. So, basically, you can buy the heated MF wood wheel (or carbon, or normal wheel I suppose) and take it apart and convert it to non-MF. I think it is just replacing the two MF inserts ($36 each) with non-MF inserts. That is what I am waiting on confirmation. You also may be able to fit the screw type GT wheel inserts into the non-GT wheel. Finally, the front spokes part, are the same between the GT and non-GT so you can swap the silver for black. So in the end with the GT3 wheel and a wood heated MF wheel from parts ($963 is the best I found online, but maybe suncoast will do a sale) I should have a wood wheel with the black front spikes and the black screw inserts from the GT3 wheel.

If anyone has done anything like this, let me know, but it seems like all the parts interchange and it looks like I am going to be the guinea pig.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:11 AM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Interested to see the results. When do you expect to have all the parts ready to try this? Were you able to confirm if dash wiring will not be an issue?
Old 07-15-2018, 12:20 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

The wheel is a non-stock item so it will take quite a while to get in and my car does not arrive until late December so 6 months or so. I am told the wiring is a non-issue if you are not using MF or heating, but we shall see.

I am hoping someone else does it first.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:38 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

So you need five parts in addition to the wood wheel — or carbon fiber if you prefer. I ordered three, one of which I did not need. You need the two non-mf inserts on top front (the bottom is the same), and all three inserts on the back. I stole the three off the back of the stock GT3 wheel and emailed suncoast to get me another set. You could make the wheel with a black surround rather than silver and you could even use your existing inserts, but I wanted to keep the stock wheel together as it is $2850 or so.

The wheel comes apart super easily with a T20 and a T10 torx bit. The only trick is getting the MF box off the back trim. Use a little screw driver to release the clip. I will do a full write up at some point but I am tired.

Full how to write up here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ed-delete.html
I wasted like 90 minutes, but I could do it again in 30 min tops.

Behold the glory of a non-multifunction wood wheel in a GT3 Touring (please ignore the dirt on the cocomats and the fact that I don’t have lights in my garage at this house).

Last edited by evilfij; 12-23-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:40 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Wiring is fine, you just unplug the MF stuff and can leave the box in place. Horn works, no airbag light. These are the parts you need. Three for the back and two for the front. The back ones are not in bags, the front ones are, but note you do not need the bottom center front one (part ending in 938) as it is the same multifunction or not.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:17 PM
rezgui.rachid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij

So you need five parts in addition to the wood wheel — or carbon fiber if you prefer. I ordered three, one of which I did not need. You need the two non-mf inserts on top front (the bottom is the same), and all three inserts on the back. I stole the three off the back of the stock GT3 wheel and emailed suncoast to get me another set. You could make the wheel with a black surround rather than silver and you could even use your existing inserts, but I wanted to keep the stock wheel together as it is $2850 or so.

The wheel comes apart super easily with a T20 and a T10 torx bit. The only trick is getting the MF box off the back trim. Use a little screw driver to release the clip. I will do a full write up at some point but I am tired. I wasted like 90 minutes, but I could do it again in 30 min tops.

Behold the glory of a non-multifunction wood wheel in a GT3 Touring (please ignore the dirt on the cocomats and the fact that I don’t have lights in my garage at this house).
nice work Evilfij! I think I’ll do the same for my touring. I will also add the interior trim and gear shift ****.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:14 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rezgui.rachid

nice work Evilfij! I think I’ll do the same for my touring. I will also add the interior trim and gear shift ****.
Thank you! Suncoast has the wheel for $850 on sale (it was $750 on sale when I bought it). Holding off on **** and trim for now, but do let me know how you like them as I am on the fence as I really like the free leather I ordered (especially on the console which does not come with the wood trim kit for $1500 and is $500 more to do in wood — definitely keeping leather on the console).

PM if you have any problems and I can walk you through the install. It’s really pretty easy.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:21 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Hmm.. .this has me thinking about an OEM CF wheel in my .2 GT3... Thanks for spearheading this and sharing your findings

edit - realized my OCD won't allow the upgrade as I have silver stitch in my winged GT3 and the steering wheel is black leather/black stitch. So you would need black deviated stitching in your wing GT3 or live with the relatively minor mismatch
Old 12-23-2018, 12:25 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Hmm.. .this has me thinking about an OEM CF wheel in my .2 GT3... Thanks for spearheading this and sharing your findings
You are welcome. $800 on sale at suncoast for the CF one.

Once I get the part numbers for the rear trim pieces from Ric I will post them (maybe he will add them to the suncoast website) so people don’t have to canibalize their stock wheel which is totally not a big deal and, like I said in the how to thread, you really don’t need them, all you really need are the two upper fronts, but I am OCD.

re: the lack of stitch, I doubt you even notice as there are lots of things that are all black and stitch on a CF or wood wheel would be really busy as there is not much leather and a lot going on already, but horses for courses and all that.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:10 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Yeah - I am still tempted especially since the "stitch" is so minor on the leather section of the wheel with the added trim. Will think about it more, maybe a nice Xmas gift to myself/upgrade. Suncoast/Pete has always been a pleasure to deal with as well

I'd need to swap in the black surround though from the .2 GTs, not a fan of the chrome from the .1 3RS's and .2 Carreras *personally*
Old 12-23-2018, 01:23 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Yeah - I am still tempted especially since the "stitch" is so minor on the leather section of the wheel with the added trim. Will think about it more, maybe a nice Xmas gift to myself/upgrade. Suncoast/Pete has always been a pleasure to deal with as well

I'd need to swap in the black surround though from the .2 GTs, not a fan of the chrome from the .1 3RS's and .2 Carreras *personally*
I agree on carbon the silver is not as cool. But you can use the one from your existing wheel as the black insert is like $300. Basically $78 for the two inserts and parts from your existing wheel and you are good to go. Actually, you could use the screw type inserts off your existing wheel too. I like the feel of the wood/cf wheel better as the GT wheel is too thick.

Quick Reply: Anyone CXX a multifunction steering wheel? I really want a wood wheel.