Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which seats for GT3 with Touring Package?
Sofas (either 18-way or 4-way)
49.19%
Buckets (either LWBs or folding buckets ROW)
50.81%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Which seats for GT3 Touring? Sofas or LWBs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 10:57 AM
the2thdr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the LWB's in the 991.2 GT3 the same LWB's as used in the GT4?

Also, doe the 4 ways have extendable thigh/upper leg support? Or is that unique to the 18 ways?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:02 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by the2thdr
Are the LWB's in the 991.2 GT3 the same LWB's as used in the GT4?

Also, doe the 4 ways have extendable thigh/upper leg support? Or is that unique to the 18 ways?
  1. yes.
  2. The extendable leg support is not on the 4 way and is unique to 18 way.
This is my 4th Porsche with 18 way seats. They offer a much higher level of comfort and adjustability that at 6'5" I need and none of the others offer.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:18 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
....Get whatever seats you prefer......Neither seat is better or right for everyone, nor is one more comfortable for everyone.
Sorry to quote just part of your post but I certainly agree with that, 100% OP, you have to figure out what works for you.
Also to the OP: I drove a 991 C4S with 18 way seats on track extensively, always wished I had better lateral support so when I got my GT3, I went with LWB and, wait for it, was dissappointed that I had no more lateral suppodt at the torso (I am 6"4"). The LWB where very hard on my back (had 7 lumbosacral surgeries icluding fusions) and losing the ability to recline the seat several more degrees as I drive home was painful. Every once in a while, I'd skip a quick errand or stop as I didnt' want to deal with getting in and out of buckets (even though that inflicted no physical pain)
Originally Posted by R.Deacon
GT 3 Touring = awesome performance road tripping machine.
I feel the same way, so based on that and the above, I voted 18 way (I need the 18 way as the adjustments in the 4 way are not enough for my back, again, a personal need).

Good luck, Lapis. You can see the vote is almost 50-50
Old 02-04-2018, 01:09 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

LWBs feel great, look great and are lighter. My only issue with getting in and out of them, but that motivates me to stay limber and stay in shape. Carbon fiber is such a great material - the more the better.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

And I'll repeat what I'm sure I said earlier in this thread months ago. Anyone who is on the fence, do not discount the LWBs based on sitting in them for 5 minutes at the dealership. You have to drive in them for a while to get a real feel for them and how they support your specific body shape.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

And I'll repeat what I'm sure I said earlier in this thread months ago. Anyone who is on the fence, do not discount the LWBs based on sitting in them for 5 minutes at the dealership. You have to drive in them for a while to get a real feel for them and how they support your specific body shape.
For me, comfort is "OK" once you are in it, but getting in and out is a pain and inconvenience, especially if you don't want to crease and scratch the bolsters prematurely. As a weekend toy, I love the looks and weight, but as a car to use several times a week, it gets old.
The following users liked this post:
Airbag997 (Yesterday)
Old 02-04-2018, 04:12 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

.....also try repeatedly getting in and out of a LWB, say 5 or 6 times in short order to get an honest feel for how they will affect you on a long term basis. Some are fine with it and others, including me, will find they become an awkward PITA on ingress and egress.
Sofas may not have the optics of being GT racer cool and in my eyes LWBs definitely have that, but sofas do offer MUCH more in an everyday liveability factor.
Either way, first world issues...
Old 02-04-2018, 04:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
For me, comfort is "OK" once you are in it, but getting in and out is a pain and inconvenience, especially if you don't want to crease and scratch the bolsters prematurely. As a weekend toy, I love the looks and weight, but as a car to use several times a week, it gets old.
Agreed, as much as I'm in love with the LWBs, I would not have them in a daily driver either.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts
Default how about a pair of these...

Old 02-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the LWBs in my 981 Spyder, and find them very comfortable while driving, in addition to being very cool looking. They are, however, inconvenient for uninhibited casual use in a fun roadster; getting in and out becomes a chore, in addition to raising and lowering the manual top, when you just want to get in and out, go play golf, get that ice cream cone, or make a quick stop somewhere. As a race bucket, they are not very light, nor do they clamp you in as a properly fitted bucket does, in conjunction with a correct six-way harness. Therefore, when I finalized the build for my GT3T, ordering the 4-ways was a no brainer for me. I intend to use my touring as a semi DD, and not for track use. When I was participating in racing events (FCA, PCA, RCCA, SCCA, etc.),
I found that a dedicated race car was the way to go, rather than flogging a road car into the ground. Anyway, to each his own.

Claudio
Old 02-04-2018, 06:08 PM
Betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
... I would love that leather in combo with a BRG 1970 911T!
Old 03-11-2018, 03:43 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

If I spec folding LWBs can in the future change to sport 4 way buckets seats?
According to my dealer no because the 4 way seat car has an extra CPU that is not configured when you order the LWBs.

Therefore in my understanding if you spec LWBs you have to stay with LWB. No option to go back to 4 way option bucket seats.

Can you please confirm my statement?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:28 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Depends on your body and how you fit in the LWBs - they fit me exceptionally well and I have spent up to 14 road hours in them in my GT4.
Love them, I;m hooked
Old 03-11-2018, 11:19 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Depends on your body and how you fit in the LWBs - they fit me exceptionally well and I have spent up to 14 road hours in them in my GT4.
Love them, I;m hooked
Fit is not my issue with LWB. They fit me like comfy glove , ingress and egress are an awkward PITA!! Sadly on a road use car they could not be a consideration. Now if i were 20 yrs younger or 6" shorter...... yes!!!
Old 03-11-2018, 05:43 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Does anyone know if you can remove LWBs and install 4 way buckets seats?

Quick Reply: Which seats for GT3 Touring? Sofas or LWBs?