Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which seats for GT3 with Touring Package?
Sofas (either 18-way or 4-way)
49.19%
Buckets (either LWBs or folding buckets ROW)
50.81%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Which seats for GT3 Touring? Sofas or LWBs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 10:08 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
Strange things happen in life. Wait till the bucket owners get a back or knee problem.

So you are suggesting that the sole use of LWBS will cause back or knee problems? Sure, anything can happen in life, but doubt people will live by "I shouldn't order LWBS because I might injure myself at a later time in an unrelated event"... Plenty of people drive GT3/RS with LWBS and never had any issues or developed chronic problems because of them. I daily drove my 997.2 GT3 (20,000 miles a year) with LWBS and I would never order a 911 without LWBS, regardless of driving style, application, or purpose. Maybe in my late 60's I might consider other seats...
Old 11-23-2017, 10:08 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Buckets, no question. I have a GT3.1 with sofas and a GT3.2 with buckets.

Just did a 4,400km road trip driving both back to back.

Conclusion by all three drivers, buckets are more comfortable, even over an long stint at the wheel, compared to sofas....by a long way.
i respect everything you post immensely, but I personally disagree with the above. The buckets on my RS are fantastic for the track, so glad to have them. But my god they are brutal for daily driving, running errands, taking the wife on dates. Bc my upcoming GT3 is going to be a street focused driver I ordered it with sofas. However, everyone has different opinions and likes, it’s great we have options! So important to test the seats before ordering.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:09 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Strange things happen in life. Wait till the bucket owners get a back or knee problem.
Answer: Then they will anyway replace their GT3 Touring (regardless of the seats, since knee problems don't go well with a manual transmission car!) and get a 911 turbo (S) with PDK or even a Panamera instead!
Old 11-23-2017, 10:55 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
If you are long legged, the 18 way seats turn the leg room into Sclass like.
if I didn’t go to the track 100% 18 way.
After 49 posts, it's obvious we all agree on one thing..... That is, we disagree which seat best suits.

For me, with long legs and at 6'5" 215lb it's a no-brainer... while I like the buckets and they definitely have the cool factor down in GT cars... I could never live with them. For my personal fit, it's 18 ways every day of the week.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:05 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
To you maybe, but not to a lot of people. Some of us think the LWBs are more comfortable and much more supportive. I bought my Spyder fully expecting to rip the LWBs out. Then I actually drove in them for hours. Now I’d never spec a Porsche with out them. Not everyone has the same opinion as you about comfort.

And those of you ripping them, have you actually spent a few hours in them actually driving a car?

Yep, spent 3 hours in the Malibu canyons last week in a 991.1 RS, have them in my 911R and have had them (buckets) in a couple GT3's I've had and then have the racing buckets in the Singer. I've also spend hours upon hours in a track cars in pole positions. The race seats are WAY better, the cushioning is better and they have lumbar support which kicks ***. The problem is that the regular buckets in all the street cars are a bit too wide, have a seriously terrible angle for long term comfort (I'll admit if they fixed this, and from the factory and gave couple degrees back...a portion of my mindset would change) and don't have enough padding to let you really sink in IMHO. Granted, I also didn't think my Rover Sport SVR had enough padding in the seat, so I realize I'm a bit fussy at this point. I'm not saying they are terrible, but they aren't really doing much either.

Oh, will admit the seats on older Porsches are definitely uncomfortable after way less time than the new any model's buckets...so there is that. But the new 14 and 18 ways are way more comfortable than those ever were.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Biff_Malibu
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is the most overly debated and discussed topic on Rennlist. The LWBs are mostly a visual option. The look great, have tons of cool carbon, and are slightly lighter. As an actual track seat, they're not that amazing (much better aftermarket options).

As far as those that claim the LWBs are more comfortable than 4 way or 18 way seats, that's Rennlist exuberance and not logic. Seem nearly impossible that anyone could sincerely believe that. My first 991.1 GT3 had 18 ways, super comfortable, adjustable bolsters which offered additional support when needed, and the crazy ability for myself and my passenger to get in and out as needed! Ordered my second 991.1 GT3, got the cool buckets, they looked great, but rendered the car nearly unusable on a day to day basis. Back pain, severe inconvenience getting in and out, and any passenger other than a automotive fan boy having a "WTF??" look on their face. 3 months after taking delivery of the car I sold it specifically because of the LWBs.

My 991.2 is ordered with 18 way seats with the seat back in leather.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

From a comfort standpoint I think they are equal to the sofas, But- If you are a bigger person I can see how the LWBs may not be an option

Now - since i find them equally comfortable the cool factor certainly goes to the LWBs. I also know that you will recoup your money from the LWBs at time of sale so one would not be pissing their money away.

What I find most interesting is you do not need seat warmers with LWBs.- I do not understand. Maybe the way they are built or the CF shell protects them-
Old 11-23-2017, 01:04 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 96 Posts

This proves again that anyone can read or interpret what they want to. My point had nothing to do with buckets causing any medical issues. People experience events in life beyond their control like back and knee issues that have nothing to do with any car.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Another dopey comment. The choice of seats makes no difference in this regard. I’ve had two discectomies (L4-L5 and L5-S1), surgery on both knees, broke both femurs and have a titanium rod running knee to hip in one, and I’ve had major surgery to repair a severely dislocated hip and torn labrum. And I prefer the LWBs. Go figure.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:19 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Drifting
Have you spent much time in the 4 ways? I find them much more comfortable than the 18s.

You make a good point that some people are much more comfortable in the LWB over a sofa seat, but that is definitely the minority of people. If you took 100 random people off the street and had them sit in the LWB or the sofas for 2 two hours of driving, I bet 90% of them would say the sofas are more comfortable.

I also agree with your point (in general) that LWB add value to GT cars, however, that really applies to the true winged GT cars, like a GT3 or RS, for which you definitely add value to the car by ordering LWB.

I expect people to look differently at the GT3 touring cars, (and use them differently) compared to the standard GT3/RS, and I doubt you'll see the same price differential for LWB seats in a GT3 touring compared to an RS, 10 years from now.
After 23,000 miles, most of which were road miles, on my 2014 GT3 with the standard 4 Way seats, I have found them to be the most comfortable seats of the several dozen 911's I've owned, which included the LWB's in my '16 RS and the 18 ways in my TTS, I have ordered them again in my GT3-2. I have also found them good enough for HPDE's, but if I wanted
the best seat for track work, I would install a Nascar type seat with Neck and head protection, as I did in my 993 GT2 Race Car.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:23 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Biff_Malibu
This is the most overly debated and discussed topic on Rennlist. The LWBs are mostly a visual option. The look great, have tons of cool carbon, and are slightly lighter. As an actual track seat, they're not that amazing (much better aftermarket options).

As far as those that claim the LWBs are more comfortable than 4 way or 18 way seats, that's Rennlist exuberance and not logic.
Once again opinion presented as fact. A Rennlist tradition. Your entire post above is nonsense.

Get whatever seats you prefer and I guess if making uninformed assumptions about other people’s motivations helps you justify your decision go for it.

Neither seat is better or right for everyone, nor is one more comfortable for everyone. And if you don’t have any actual seat time in them, your opinion on the subject is worthless, as was mine before I actually owned them.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:33 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My take. Slightly different again.

LWB: VERY upright and light padding on the seat. More weight than usual goes through your sit bones because little is being taken by your back due to severely upright nature. After a couple or hours I get pain in the sit bones due to this plus the light padding. Same for other people that have tried them.

4-ways: Very comfortable, no pain, very versatile as they fold forward, and fully recline for service station naps.

18-ways: Appear to me to be like the 4-ways but with loads more adjustments. Funnily enough I could never get fully comfortable in these even though you would think I ought to be able to adjust them down to a 4-way spec. Always ended up getting pain in small of back. Also they have to be pretty heavy right? A lot of electric motors to go 18 ways in two seats!

Sports buckets: Finally got to try these recently over a good drive. Definitely more comfortable than the LWBs due to slightly more reclined back rest and thicker padding to seat. So didn’t get the sit bone problem. Added advantage of fold forward to access back area.

I’m 6’3†90kg. In conclusion 4 ways are very good. If you must get a bucket it’s critical to try them over extended drive first to find which suits. Anyone who says buckets are more comfortable is, um, just wrong. They’re more upright and have less padding. It’s not even subjective: that could never be more comfortable. It does sound like a badge of honour to claim they’re more comfortable possibly. What they actually mean is something like “I can sit in them for a few hours without back or bottom pain. “
Old 11-23-2017, 02:29 PM
Nine Nine One
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone know accurate weights per seat for the three options? Just curious.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:29 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
i respect everything you post immensely, but I personally disagree with the above. The buckets on my RS are fantastic for the track, so glad to have them. But my god they are brutal for daily driving, running errands, taking the wife on dates. Bc my upcoming GT3 is going to be a street focused driver I ordered it with sofas. However, everyone has different opinions and likes, it’s great we have options! So important to test the seats before ordering.
I agree with Chris. But Don't forget Chris and I have the GT2 style foldable buckets, not the 918 style buckets. That makes a world of difference ! They offer more support and a bit more rake, hence more comfy !
Old 02-03-2018, 03:10 PM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

More Saphire from PNH. Getting wrapped next week in Xpel.

Quick Reply: Which seats for GT3 Touring? Sofas or LWBs?