Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which seats for GT3 with Touring Package?
Sofas (either 18-way or 4-way)
49.19%
Buckets (either LWBs or folding buckets ROW)
50.81%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Which seats for GT3 Touring? Sofas or LWBs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 07:16 AM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

My choice for Touring would be folding seats (USA). If I don't get PTS 991.2 GT3 (Maritime Blue) I'm thinking of switching to touring and using it as a daily driver. I would need access to behind the seats for golf clubs. I already have LWB 991.1 GT3 RS and although I love the look of the LWB and feel they can be used for a daily driver I could not get a golf bag in the back.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:24 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Disagree. I find the 18-ways to be extremely uncomfortable and prefer the buckets for everything except getting in and out of the vehicle. On top of that, in the future the 18-ways will be worth almost nothing - 1k or so - and the buckets will probably be worth 10k+. With the price of the switch you're likely giving up somewhere around 5k in future equity by not checking the bucket option.
$10K premium in resale for LWB’s.....sorry, no way....
Old 09-22-2017, 07:38 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

I ultimately picked buckets with touring. Went back and forth on the rationale that it won’t likely see a track so why bother, but here is why i chose them

They hold me better, I feel most planted in buckets

I didn’t find the 18 ways to be that much more comfortable, I drive my RS to and from the track up to 5 hrs with no issues.

It is a gt3 after all

They do look cooler in the car
Old 09-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I ultimately picked buckets with touring. Went back and forth on the rationale that it wont likely see a track so why bother, but here is why i chose them

They hold me better, I feel most planted in buckets

I didnt find the 18 ways to be that much more comfortable, I drive my RS to and from the track up to 5 hrs with no issues.

It is a gt3 after all

They do look cooler in the car
+1
Old 09-22-2017, 12:14 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I've only got a few hundred miles on the LWBs in my Spyder, but I'm already feeling like these are going to be my preferred seats, rather than the sport seats. A bit of a PITA to get in and out of, but I really like the feel once in them. Need more seat time, but today, I'd probably spec them over the sport seat unless I was DDing the car. Then I'd probably do the 4way SS+ just for convenience.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:27 PM
indianam3
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRRR
With Wing - PDK+ Full bucket
W/o Wing - Manual + 18 Ways (18 ways can hold you well, most of time still crayon use and full bucket in GT4 makes my back hurts)

I'm still a young man haha

There is no wrong answer here only theories. For me, I will not track this car, cruiser only, so slots for harnesses is a non-event. I will take my spouse a good portion of the time, and I have always had buckets in every GT3/GT3RS, and sofas in a Boxster GTS. My spouse's opinion is that the sofas are a little more comfortable,(buckets are not bad), but it really hinges on two other things for her. The sofas are much easier to get in and out of, and sofas adjust. So I copies the quote above, as I agree.

Last edited by indianam3; 09-22-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-23-2017, 12:35 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
People get so hung up on the LWB as a sign of manhood or something. If you're not tracking your car regularly, and I expect most GT3 touring to be driven like carreras, then sofa seats are much more comfortable than LWB for most people and still hold you very well if you're not taking track corners.
This. 18 way for me also.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:14 PM
woohoo
Track Day

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

My thoughts :
  1. Regardless of seats, you're going to have an awesome car ...
  2. Have you sat in LWB? Do they feel comfortable to you. This is where I started when considering options. I found the LWB very comfortable, but understand some wont.
  3. What are you going to use it for? My use (should I be so lucky) would be Sunday morning blast through the mountains, as opposed to long tours. So certainly LWB would be my call. For genuine long tours, I'd still go LWB, but see point 2 ... And if you're hitting the track, then LWB (and probably the wing ...)
  4. Resale - who cares? You buy it to drive, not sell, surely?
In any case, hope you get what you want, and it'll be amazing car!

Last edited by woohoo; 11-22-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:31 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Buckets, no question. I have a GT3.1 with sofas and a GT3.2 with buckets.

Just did a 4,400km road trip driving both back to back.

Conclusion by all three drivers, buckets are more comfortable, even over an long stint at the wheel, compared to sofas....by a long way.
^ I really like this post. My LWBs in my 2015 GT3 were quite comfortable and the A-B comparison by 3 drivers is confirmation I made the right choice (for me). The LWBs are also LIGHTER.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:40 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

LWB 100% if you don't like them, take them out, get the sofas, plenty of 991 to part around and you can have them for cheap. Then if you want to sell, just put the LWB again and don't see your values and the desirability of your car go down the drain.
Plus, if you don't want to sell it, just sell the LWB and get a year or so of free gas, tires, and maintenance.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:41 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

LWB make you feel more connected to the car, they enhance the driving experience
The following users liked this post:
Airbag997 (01-11-2022)
Old 11-22-2017, 01:07 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

As long as you get some seat time in them (and find them comfortable for yourself) before committing, then LWB all the way for reasons of better driving feel, better looks, and better resale, all of which are debated well enough already above.

It is very personal, though. For example, while I was initially skeptical and concerned about their comfort and easy of entry/exit, despite my less than slender shape, I found them perfectly comfortable, even for long boring trips road trips of several hours. Getting in/out isnt as easy, sure, but you get better at it.

On on the other hand, I have a friend and Porsche fan who just cant sit in them because of his back condition. He requires the 18-ways to get the right recline. Anyone with bad back or wrist or knees might think twice not just for seating position but also the exertion needed getting in/out.

Consistent with what someone said above, I actually found the 18-ways in my 991.1 GT3 bad for my back for long drives. I couldnt get them into a position that prevented my back from hurting after long drives. The LWBs dont cause me the same pain. I think its because they enforce good posture and make you sit up straight without slouching.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:08 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
LWB make you feel more connected to the car, they enhance the driving experience
+911 The primary purpose of buying this car comes from the experience of DRIVING! LWB will give you a more directly connected feeling to the road and the car. If you don’t like them after ordering you can buy some 4 ways and swap em.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Now that Ive really driven them a bunch in my Spyder, its clear the LWBs are more comfortable and much more supportive than the sofas in my other cars. No fatigueing of my lower back like I get in the sofas. For me at least theyre a no brainer.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:08 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Unless it’s a high frequency harness issue, sofas all day every day. Buckets look ridiculous and are a PITA to get in and out of and less adjustable for real world driving. Unless you have hard core harness needs, you will never, ever, throw yourself out of the sport “sofas”.

Quick Reply: Which seats for GT3 Touring? Sofas or LWBs?